Is Anglophilia common for people on the spectrum?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 2:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Then I want to go in a pub with a real fireplace and music.With a Labrador dog laying in front of the fire.

That was in my local the other night

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:32 pm

/\That’s nice and cosy looking.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:56 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
hound dogs roasting on an open fire...

Jack Frost nipping at your nose...

I know that its been said

many times and many ways...

Merry Christmas...

You make fun, but some parts of the country now have a serious problem with labrador over-population since we moved to peanuts and crisps. They have no natural predators to keep the numbers down.

This short documentary focuses on the challenges some of us face every single day:

That aint nuthin !

Here in the US those white Labrador pups talk, and even break out into song!

https://youtu.be/1umbFOLztAw

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 6:42 pm

I have a black Lab.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2023, 1:48 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
We don't speak in that snooty cockney accent, at least not any more.

Cor blimey, speak for yourself, guv'nor.

I didn't actually realise how disliked the British are by Americans in general. I mean, I don't blame them, I just didn't know.

A few years back I was listening to a podcaster I liked and he was doing a geneology test or something and I think he thought he was of Irish descent and his test revealed like, 90% English and the sheer disappointment in his voice. Really opened my eyes. I started to notice it everywhere. I noticed how every bad guy in a Hollywood movie has an English accent.

It's always seemed strange to me that Americans venerate Irish descent because, of all the people the English are traditionally casually racist about, the Irish seem to hold a special place.

But when I hear about American anglophiles, it always seems that what they like is the history, not the people. Again, I don't blame them. We suck. But we have thousands of years of history to explore to America's 400-odd. And it's written in English. I think that's what some Americans like.

Here's the explanation I've heard (of why Irish ancestry is romanticized more than English ancestry among us Yanks)

The English are viewed in a somewhat negative light because this country began as a revolution against the English (Also, the English are seen as oppressors worldwide. Not that I agree. But that's what a lot of the population thinks)

The Irish, on the other hand, are seen as an honorable group that came here starving from famine, then eventually made it all the way to the White House (JFK). The popularity of Saint Patrick's Day could play a role in romanticizing the Irish too.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2023, 9:28 pm

Its usually the loud minority who like to spout off their hatred of people/things in general. The quiet majority just get on with their lives.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 9:29 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Its usually the loud minority who like to spout off their hatred of people/things in general. The quiet majority just get on with their lives.

Except -philia means love or fondness for.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 10:04 pm

I have to admit I used to have a fondness for everything English but nowadays see them as class obsessed snobs.
The British dramas I still enjoy are police dramas. The criminal underworld in Britian is quite entertaining.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 11:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:

Right and I think the post was suggesting that it appears most are hostile to Englishness and fondness of them is a niche limited to autistics.

Anglophobia has always been there but I think it is increasing as the lefts victimhood mentality is culturally dominant at the moment. So they cherry pick the bad and ignore the good the English have done.

I also think most people don't really care, also some of it might be little brother style banter and not passionate hatred.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 11:33 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
I have ancestry in the UK too. Yet so do a lot of Americans. I've even heard Americans with an obviously British last name badmouth Britain....

...Being in a different country/culture, in all honesty, keeps me at bay too. I know I say I'm an Anglophile. But being born and bred American, I feel my cultural differences might get in the way if I were to visit the UK. I probably unknowingly do things that are faux pas in Britain.

In other words, I like to admire Britain from a distance.

We'd love you to visit! Britain is overwhelmingly pro American even if the loud minority might make it seem different (most of whom will be far left. We had a far left, Americanophobic politician try to get in to power here in 2019 and he was strongly rejected in a landslide result)

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 11:47 am

I knew an Autist who was both Japanophile and Anglophile. He knew fluent Japanese, visited Japan and he also watched mass produced English comedy panel shows which I thought was surprising and also cute.

But he also expressed some anglophobia too. He was very into Vikings and was disgusted with the English destroying Viking culture during an invasion if I remember correctly

I also know a Slovenian autist who posts a lot about Britain and has an interest, a lot of it is negative and he listens to IRA songs which is kinda weird to me

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:25 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:

Right and I think the post was suggesting that it appears most are hostile to Englishness and fondness of them is a niche limited to autistics.

Anglophobia has always been there but I think it is increasing as the lefts victimhood mentality is culturally dominant at the moment. So they cherry pick the bad and ignore the good the English have done.

I also think most people don't really care, also some of it might be little brother style banter and not passionate hatred.

OP appeared to be suggesting folks with ASD might be more likely to be anglophiles; that's the premise of the thread.

I'm not sure what the left has to do with anything, unless condemning empire is the deciding factor between having a positive and negative view of the UK. Last I checked I'm both a leftist and an anglophile (for example).

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
But he also expressed some anglophobia too. He was very into Vikings and was disgusted with the English destroying Viking culture during an invasion if I remember correctly

Vikings invaded England, not the other way around.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 11:35 pm

I'm British (and English), but I have very little fondness for the country in its present incarnation. It was a much better place half a century ago.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 12:16 am

Did I mention something about the accents?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 23 Mar 2023, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 12:37 am

DeepHour wrote:
I'm British (and English), but I have very little fondness for the country in its present incarnation. It was a much better place half a century ago.

By curious coinicidence you sound like every British migrant to Melbourne I've evert spoken to.

Half a century ago eh, I guess London would have looked different

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 1:01 am

funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:

OP appeared to be suggesting folks with ASD might be more likely to be anglophiles; that's the premise of the thread.

I'm not sure what the left has to do with anything, unless condemning empire is the deciding factor between having a positive and negative view of the UK. Last I checked I'm both a leftist and an anglophile (for example).

Yes.
The left generally hate colonialists, and Britain did a lot of colonising.