Is Anglophilia common for people on the spectrum?

Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 1:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Then I want to go in a pub with a real fireplace and music.With a Labrador dog laying in front of the fire.

I was in my local last week and there was a roaring fire and live music. No labrador though.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 1:59 pm

I’ll bring mine then.Save a sandwich for her. :D

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 2:20 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I’ll bring mine then.Save a sandwich for her. :D

They do some fantastic food there as well

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:31 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Then I want to go in a pub with a real fireplace and music.With a Labrador dog laying in front of the fire.

Yes that's something we don't get here either.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:32 pm

Labrador's?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:16 pm

Fun facts about the UK that Americans may forget or not know:-

Most schools in the UK require a school uniform.

We don't speak in that snooty cockney accent, at least not any more.

There are lots of cities, not just London.

We don't need to pay to see a doctor or go to a hospital, unless you're getting private treatment. Also, anyone can use the NHS.

It isn't shameful not to tip. In fact most people in the UK don't tip in restaurants.

Gun ownership is very rare, and if there are any reports of gun violence the gun laws get even stricter.

Most UK homes don't have a furnace or air conditioning.

Sales tax is always included in the regular price. Many math-dyslexic people like myself are thankful for this.

Jelly isn't a sandwich filler here. It's a sweet dessert that wobbles, and certainly wouldn't go with peanut butter.

Teenagers aren't under pressure to have a date to take to the prom. Going with your friends is just as common.

Halloween and Valentine's day aren't as big here. Halloween is mostly enjoyed by children. Schools barely acknowledge Valentine's day.

We don't hate German people. At all.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2023, 4:56 pm

I was americophile as a teenager. Thought about moving to Baltimore where my online friends lived. Often went to US army base civilian areas to have fun there, eat fatty food and drink wine cooler (during funfairs - Germans were allowed to buy US alcohol at age 16).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 8:48 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:
babybird wrote:
I don't know why this thread is in the haven. Is it a sensitive topic?

I wouldn't call it a sensitive topic. I just couldn't think of where else to put it.

If you want a proper discussion, you can't do that in the Haven.
The Haven is a support forum.

Ahhh.
I just noticed it has been moved to random.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 10:44 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:
I know this is only a sample size of two. But I still wonder if it means something. Most Americans I come across are either hostile or indifferent toward England/the UK (and yes, I know there's more to the UK than England). Yet the only other Anglophile American I've known of (other than myself) is also on the spectrum? Sounds like too much of a coincidence. Perhaps it's indicative of a larger pattern?

I don’t think it’s an Autistic thing. Maybe it is a regional thing. Here in New York there are a lot Anglophiles. Obviously a lot a Americans love Brit rock and pop bands. Back in the 60’s and the 70’s Monty Python’s Flying Circus was appointment TV for us teenagers and a we liked Benny Hill and all the guys had a crush on Diana Rigg of the ‘The Avengers’. Adaptations of British television programs are still popular. Downton Abbey was massively popular. And every move of The Royal Family is endlessly covered. And a few British English expressions such as “spot on” and “over the moon” in the last 10 years or so have started coming into use here.

And most of us are over the moon about the British accents.

Joe90 wrote:
Fun facts about the UK that Americans may forget or not know:-

There are lots of cities, not just London.

Halloween and Valentine's day aren't as big here. Halloween is mostly enjoyed by children. Schools barely acknowledge Valentine's day.

Most Americans have heard of Liverpool because it was where Beatles came from. Fans of post punk and indie music have heard of Manchester. Like Manchester a lot of American localities are named after British ones. There is Essex County in New Jersey, Essex Street in New York City, and Essex, Connecticut.

Halloween most was mostly a childrens holiday when I was growing up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:35 am

Joe90 wrote:
We don't speak in that snooty cockney accent, at least not any more.

Cor blimey, speak for yourself, guv'nor.

I didn't actually realise how disliked the British are by Americans in general. I mean, I don't blame them, I just didn't know.

A few years back I was listening to a podcaster I liked and he was doing a geneology test or something and I think he thought he was of Irish descent and his test revealed like, 90% English and the sheer disappointment in his voice. Really opened my eyes. I started to notice it everywhere. I noticed how every bad guy in a Hollywood movie has an English accent.

It's always seemed strange to me that Americans venerate Irish descent because, of all the people the English are traditionally casually racist about, the Irish seem to hold a special place.

But when I hear about American anglophiles, it always seems that what they like is the history, not the people. Again, I don't blame them. We suck. But we have thousands of years of history to explore to America's 400-odd. And it's written in English. I think that's what some Americans like.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
And most of us are over the moon about the British accents.

We do have a lot of accents.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:18 am

babybird wrote:
Labrador's?

Warm cosy corner pubs where locals all know each other

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
babybird wrote:
Labrador's?

Warm cosy corner pubs where locals all know each other

:lol: I know

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:26 am

We stopped roasting labradors on an open fire some time ago. We have bar snacks now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2023, 5:41 am

jennyishere wrote:
I have taught and known many teenage students with ASDs here in Australia. I haven't known any Anglophiles but quite a few have shown a strong interest in Japanese language and culture. I have also known several who have spoken with distinctively American accents, even though they have never visited the USA.
That is probably cuz Japanese culture is popular with nerd culture & some autistics are kinda :nerdy:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 9:52 am

DuckHairback wrote:
We stopped roasting labradors on an open fire some time ago. We have bar snacks now.

Throw another dog on the barby, guv'nah.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う