Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 9:44 pm

What really famous bands do you like-yet have an album everyone seems to dismiss and overlook?
I have a few
Most fans overlook this album (the last effort Genesis did when Phil Collins left the band)
It was radically different then earlier Genesis efforts-very of its time (1997) they tried a different approach it seemed
It didn't go well and Genesis broke up...(They have recently reuinited the Collins-Banks-Rutheford lineup)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrboayvzWM
there's a video :)
This is the last studio album to feature Geezer Butler on bass until Dehumanizer (and last to feature Bill Ward). It features a new singer-Ian Gillan from Deep Purple. It is quite un-Deep Purple as Ian seems to rather fit Black Sabbath well (all but in image)...His voice soars to new hights and those who are Ozzy only are missing out on an incredable album (except the cover) :lol: ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi7XvJKlMo
The big Styx mistake...
Most can't understand the weird and in places, silly, storyline and the play the band members had to preform at each show...
How ever much the fans hated it the band (except Dennis) hated it worse!
It broke up the band and they would never recover...
its really famous for its WW2 referance and Mr.Roboto
(Domo Arigato Mr.Roboto pops up everywhere these days)
Styx doesn't play Mr.Roboto ar really anything off this album and on completions try to to keep as much of it off as possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io5HHGnemVg
(Mr.Roboto-live)

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2007, 10:14 pm

black sabbath has only been overrated....

I would put down every gentle giant album.
bubblemath - such fine particles of the universe

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2007, 12:20 am

Pink Floyd's OBSCURED BY CLOUDS: Must have been.

Yes's RELAYER: In the shadow of the controversial TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, but a much more adventurous record.

Rush's CARESS OF STEELE: A very mature album from a very young (at the time) band.

King Crimson's ISLANDS: Too much for the mainstream, too tame for Crim fans, but utterly beautiful.

Mike Oldfield's HERGEST RIDGE: Much much better than TUBULAR BELLS, more realized and mature and very Celtic. (Nod to OMMADAWN as well.)

Gary Numan's TELEKON: simply great.

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2007, 5:29 am

Oh... wow. Yes, this is the right thread for me. I triple-endorse the nomination of Calling All Stations - some of the stuff on there would have been a classic for the ages if the idiot Collins had sung it. So too with Relayer (Patrick Moraz was critically underused in the Moody Blues), but I would say the real black sheep in the Yes canon that deserves re-evaluation was Drama, which gets a bad rap for the same reason as Calling All Stations but is at a far higher quality of musicianship.

However, much as I love Telekon, I don't know whether it's "underappreciated" - aren't the 3 albums of the Machine era (that, Replicas and the Pleasure Principle) universally acclaimed as Gary's masterpieces? If we were to talk about a drastically underappreciated but - to my mind - brilliant Gary Numan album, I nominate Berserker.

And I don't endorse Islands, as I endorse Fripp's judgement that it contains some of the most indigestible lyrics ever to appear on a rock record.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2007, 11:10 am

Oh, that Robert Fripp. Who listens to King Crimson for the lyrics? ;)

And I'd agree about Drama, for sure. Telekon, you're probably right, I just think it gets lost in the shadow of Pleasure Principle, but I suppose among Numan fans, it's not underrated.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2007, 11:32 am

I listened to King Crimson once and almost fell asleep.

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2007, 2:46 pm

Spaceplayer wrote:
Oh, that Robert Fripp. Who listens to King Crimson for the lyrics? ;)

Richard Palmer-James' lyrics on Larks' Tongues in Aspic are, to my mind, possibly the best rock lyrics ever. But certainly that's not usual. Generally, Sinfield's lyrics make me cringe and Belew's make me roll my eyes.

Aradford: every King Crimson album sounds extremely different from every other King Crimson album. If, for example, Discipline put you to sleep, Red might well make you stay up all night.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

doloras wrote:
If, for example, Discipline put you to sleep, Red might well make you stay up all night.

If Discipline put you to sleep you have some serious problems! The openning of Thela Hun Ginjeet makes me bounce around the room.

On a completely different note (and true to the thread's theme), I nominate van Morisson's St. Dominic's Preview. It's certainly no Moondance but most of the tunes are brilliant especially the title track.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2007, 5:22 pm

I still say all of gentle giants albums... even the last one that was intended for commerce.