Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:57 pm

https://www.boredpanda.com/new-landlord ... fications/

I would volunteer to help someone with a fun project like this lol

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Mar 2023, 7:34 pm

If you find good landlords, stay as long as you can. I hear so many horror stories about some of the landlords people have to deal with.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 5:01 am

New manger, new rules: "You will account for your activities in a daily log and charge each activity to the appropriate accounts" and "Your work surfaces will be cleared off by the end of the day". This involved a lot of cross-coding -- using other departmental codes in our logs to get through the day -- because many of us had a wide range of duties that were not specific to our assigned positions.

People moaned and groaned, but complied as best they could.  We engineers, however, tried another tactic.  At the end of each daily log, we assigned 15 minutes to "Administrative Duties (not directly related to production)" as we sat at our cleared-off desks and filled out our logs.  Soon, the techs, line-workers, and stock people were doing the same thing -- the last 15 minutes of each day were spent clearing off their work-surfaces and updating their logs.

At the end of the second week, the Big Boss called a meeting and demanded to know what the eff was going on with all of us sitting at our desks and "doing nothing" right before the end of the day.  I showed him the posted memo (with his signature at the bottom) and explained that it took 15 minutes out of each day for each of us to comply. Then I informed him that if the average hourly wage was multiplied by the number of hourly workers and then divided by four, the average cost of those "Administrative Duties" could be determined.  The same could be done for us salaried workers.

A week or so after that, the account coding was simplified -- one code for each department, with no cross-coding unless we actually worked for another department in their specific departmental area. "8 hours #1234567" became my daily log entry, and no one questioned it.

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 5:53 am

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]At the end of each daily log, we assigned 15 minutes to "Administrative Duties (not directly related to production)" as we sat at our cleared-off desks and filled out our logs.

I wouldn't even call that one malicious compliance. Filling out complicated logs isn't something that can be completed in zero seconds.

We're doing worklogs at my work but putting an entry in the log saying you're filling out the log is considered a perfectly normal and valid entry.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2023, 8:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
https://www.boredpanda.com/new-landlord-demands-tenants-remove-yard-modifications/

I would volunteer to help someone with a fun project like this lol
Same here. Sounds to me like the new landlord was intending to pressure the tenants into leaving as soon as possible. Saying that people would get the wrong impression(not gonna double check exact wording on my phone) when they had a couple guy friends over makes me wonder if the landlord wanted the tenates gone because they were gay. He sure was not expecting them to bother turning the yard back into a dirt pit & got mad they lowered the property value :mrgreen: I'd like to shake their hand as the expression goes :wtg:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:40 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[color=black]At the end of each daily log, we assigned 15 minutes to "Administrative Duties (not directly related to production)" as we sat at our cleared-off desks and filled out our logs.

I wouldn't even call that one malicious compliance. Filling out complicated logs isn't something that can be completed in zero seconds.

We're doing worklogs at my work but putting an entry in the log saying you're filling out the log is considered a perfectly normal and valid entry.
I agree. Planning time at the end of your shift to fill out required or necessary paperwork makes perfect sense to me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 12:24 pm

@Fnord

Well done. 8)

And yeah, this is an example of malicious compliance for sure - obvi the control freak boss wasn't expecting it to cost him 1.25 labour hours per employee per week to comply with his instructions. That'll teach him not to make such a stupid flex.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 1:42 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
@Fnord

Well done. 8)

And yeah, this is an example of malicious compliance for sure - obvi the control freak boss wasn't expecting it to cost him 1.25 labour hours per employee per week to comply with his instructions. That'll teach him not to make such a stupid flex.
Yep the boss was very stupid if he expected employees to do BS work for free. He probably didn't know how long the convoluted system would take them or didn't prosses the cost.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:14 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
At the end of each daily log, we assigned 15 minutes to "Administrative Duties (not directly related to production)" as we sat at our cleared-off desks and filled out our logs.
I wouldn't even call that one malicious compliance. Filling out complicated logs isn't something that can be completed in zero seconds.  We're doing worklogs at my work but putting an entry in the log saying you're filling out the log is considered a perfectly normal and valid entry.
I left out a few details for brevity.  We were required to log our activities to the minute in black ballpoint ink (getting it right the first time -- no strike-throughs allowed), and at the times we stopped and started the activities.  We also had to figure out which of over thirty codes applied to each activity and explain why we chose that code. If we made even one mistake, we were required to start the page over for that day, and while we were making the corrections, the new manager was lecturing us on the importance of proper log-keeping and that our mistakes would be noted on our next performance reviews.

Hence, the act of passive-aggressive malicious compliance.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.