Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 10:41 pm

Do landlords don’t like to rent to disabled people?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 1:01 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Some do, some do not.

The ones who do not like to rent to disabled people cite the expense of making special accommodations, the need for rent subsidies or vouchers (due to generally lower income), and the (allegedly) greater number of complaints about noise, trash, utilities (et cetera) from the disabled people.

I have this information only second-hand, as I was never directly involved as a landlord -- that is what I hired apartment managers for.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 1:08 am

In the United States, the FHA (fair housing act) makes it illegal to do so, but I am sure it still does on from time to time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 1:11 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
In the United States, the FHA (fair housing act) makes it illegal to do so, but I am sure it still does on from time to time.
The Fair Housing Act only makes it illegal to discriminate against disabled people, not to dislike them.

As long as their rent is paid on time, and they are not breaking the law or literally trashing your property, you have to provide equal housing to them.

But you do not have to like them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 1:33 am

Some don't like it because they prefer working people that are out of the home most of the day as there's less wear and tear on the home, flooring, appliances & fixtures etc. When people are home all day occupying the space then things end up getting used more and worn out faster. Sometimes they're renting out a basement suite and prefer when someone is rarely home - they want the rent money, but don't like the idea of someone home often that may be listening in on the landlord's life and activities upstairs.

Others don't like the idea of renting to disabled people because they cannot pay market price for rent. Price for apartments and basement suites often exceed someone's entire disability income, so there's no way many landlords will rent to disabled people at all - not enough money.

But some like renting to disabled people because they know they have long term stable income and don't like moving so will be long term tenants. If they have an inexpensive room or suite available, some landlords might consider them ideal tenants even - depends entirely on the individual and their disability and whether or not it impacts their use of the property or ability to clean and maintain it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 2:00 am

Fnord wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
Some do, some do not.

The ones who do not like to rent to disabled people cite the expense of making special accommodations, the need for rent subsidies or vouchers (due to generally lower income), and the (allegedly) greater number of complaints about noise, trash, utilities (et cetera) from the disabled people.

I have this information only second-hand, as I was never directly involved as a landlord -- that is what I hired apartment managers for.

Young families are more likely to cause those same problems but they don't have any hesitation to rent out apartments to them. What makes a disabled person less valuable than families?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 2:08 am

Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
Some do, some do not.

Young families are more likely to cause those same problems but they don't have any hesitation to rent out apartments to them. What makes a disabled person less valuable than families?

Number of bedrooms.

Families tend to rent 2-3+ bedroom homes at a much higher price than a disabled person renting a single bedroom, studio, or 1 bed apartment. So families tend to pay much higher rent. Landlord’s are in business to make money, soooo, will happily rent to families for more money.

Plus most kids go to school and parents go to work, so again, people are out of the home vs there all the time putting wear and tear on the place. (No, not all disabled people are shut ins. I know one that’s out more than working people! But typically they’re home a lot.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 2:11 am

Not families with babies though. And what if the parents work from home or don't work at all and live on child benefits. Seems to be the case with my upstairs neighbours.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 8:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Some don't like it because they prefer working people that are out of the home most of the day as there's less wear and tear on the home, flooring, appliances & fixtures etc. When people are home all day occupying the space then things end up getting used more and worn out faster. Sometimes they're renting out a basement suite and prefer when someone is rarely home - they want the rent money, but don't like the idea of someone home often that may be listening in on the landlord's life and activities upstairs.

Others don't like the idea of renting to disabled people because they cannot pay market price for rent. Price for apartments and basement suites often exceed someone's entire disability income, so there's no way many landlords will rent to disabled people at all - not enough money.

But some like renting to disabled people because they know they have long term stable income and don't like moving so will be long term tenants. If they have an inexpensive room or suite available, some landlords might consider them ideal tenants even - depends entirely on the individual and their disability and whether or not it impacts their use of the property or ability to clean and maintain it.

When I moved out of my mom house for the first time, she paid my rent & bills.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 8:49 pm

So my sister lied to me, a big surprise- NOT! If some landlords don’t like renting to disabled people, they should have chances, what if they have trust funds or parents that want to with rent, bills, other stuff. My mother helped me with rent & bills in my first apartment building, she still helping me with money with a trust fund that I shared with what her face (my sister :cry:) & my nephew. I thought all landlords care more about money, if they can pay rent, it shouldn’t matter if they are disabled. If you have credit & your credit score is very great, does that count for paying stuff on time.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 10:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
The Fair Housing Act only makes it illegal to discriminate against disabled people, not to dislike them.

As long as their rent is paid on time, and they are not breaking the law or literally trashing your property, you have to provide equal housing to them.

But you do not have to like them.

A decent landlord should really only care about the rent being paid, minimal disruption to other tenants and the unit not being damaged. If people choose not to interact much with the neighbors, that shouldn't be any of their concern.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 8:43 pm

I know there are group homes for disabled people, but I wish they have an apartment building for disabled or Autism people, like there are seniors buildings & nursing homes. Disabled people can live on their own, I was still living with my mother when I was 36, I wasn’t mentally ready to move out, I was ready when me& my mom were fighting & I couldn’t be in the same room with her, I temporarily moved to a hotel, then I realized I was ready to move out. If a disabled person is 100% ready to move out of their parents house, they should move out, what if they get help from people.