Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:21 pm

I am fascinated with guns and weapons.

I live in a house with two anti-weapons parents. I wasn't even allowed to have a cap gun when I was little.

I am really not a violent person, but I just think guns are really cool, I don't know why. When I move out of the house, I want to get a restricted firearms licence so I can own and use semi-auto pistols as well as rifles.

I'm Canadian, and it's too bad I can't own guns like the C8 Carbine, the M16, the AK-47, .50 Desert Eagle, SIG 550, SIG 552, MP5, and other really badass guns.

Does anyone else have this fascination with guns, knives, and/or explosives? Or can anyone at least give me an explanation as to why I might have this fascination?

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:30 pm

Maybe you are fascinated with them because they have been so far forbidden to you?

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:33 pm

Arbie wrote:
Maybe you are fascinated with them because they have been so far forbidden to you?

yeah, that could be true. At least I can play violent video games...it seems like such a realease and I don't think about girls and sex when I hear the soothing noise of raging gunfire.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:36 pm

I don't think anyone really knows why any aspie ends up with the obsession he or she does. It just kind of happens. The obsessions of people here are all over the map. Some are narrow and some are more general. Some are actually interesting topics to just about anyone, and some are deathly boring to anyone but the obsessed.

If you can figure out what it is that triggers our obsessions, you'll probably become very rich.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:39 pm

I love guns!

1. They are - as stated by General George Washington, our "Liberty Teeth". Armed people are citizens. Disarmed we are but peasants.

2. Useful for self defense. And while most weapons require strength and reach, a gun makes me the equal of anyone. I fail to comprehend why womesn dislike guns. With sticks, the man can still whomp us!

3. Martial arts. Like any other martial art the use and perfection of use of a firearm requires developed skill. Practice is calming and focusing.

4. I am good at it. Okay with pistol, netter with shotgun, hell for good with rifle.

5. Tech/gadget value. Lots to learn about history and development, mechanics, use.

I love them. I do not hunt, I am vegetarian. But hostile tin cans fear my name.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 12:57 am

I absolutely hate guns, but I love them too.

I hate how they kill people and animals. I hate how they turn violence deadly. I hate how everyone seems to reach for them whenever a conflict arises instead of using diplomacy.

I love how they work. I love their intricacy and precision. I love how they look. I love the feel of holding them. I love how they've played incredibly important roles in history. I love how new ones constantly come out. I love how they are symbols of united people rising up against tyranny (such as the lovely Kalashnikovs in your avatar.)

So I guess you could say I love guns but I hate bullets :D . I'm also pretty knowledgable in the field of medieval armaments.

Here are some of my favorite guns:

ImageImage

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

03 Jun 2007, 2:48 am

I was gun obsessed from age 18-23. I spent all my money on them. It was then I started taking zoloft for depression and the obsession went away.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 3:20 am

I love target shooting. I want to get a little Ruger 10/22 chambered in .17HMR for shooting targets. I'm going to be at my buddy's house next weekend shooting his SKS.

Dreamer2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 5:16 am

I have an odd fascination with swords and knives, I have never had enough money to become a collector though. Swords can be very expensive, knives too if you want quality.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 8:23 am

I LOVE weapons, and am really obsessed with most military things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 9:49 am

I find myself drawn to various pocket knives.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 9:49 am

Gun nut here :D . I'm into everthing from traditioal muzzleloaders to my Bushmaster M4. Handguns, too.
I gerw up in a fairly anti gun house as well.
It's best to start off with a fairly inexpensive .22 rimfire rifle to learn the basics of safety and marksmanship. Safety first! .22's are usually a lot less expensive to buy than centerfires ( there are exceptions to that) and are cheap to shoot so you'll be able to shoot a lot more. Move on from there to bigger more expensive things as your skill lever and budget allow. Even though I have a lot of other guns I still shoot my .22's a lot.
It's not a bad obsession as long as you dont' spend more than you can afford to and don't do anything stupid.
All the above is assuming that you're not mentally incompetent.
Guns aren't responsible for killing people any more than forks and spoons are responsible for making rosie o'donnel fat (what a cow!) . Both are tools that are only sublect to the actions of thier users.

Raptor

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2007, 10:06 am

I used to have a fascination with guns but it seems to be going now. I used to have lots of books on the subject, like the Janes gun regognition guide, but gave most of them away to charity not all that long ago. I kept the Janes one though cause it was pretty good.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:19 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
I was gun obsessed from age 18-23. I spent all my money on them. It was then I started taking zoloft for depression and the obsession went away.

Alf said it
and
all I got out of it
was
hearing damage
and moral damage

If I need to kill things
I now draw bowstrings

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jun 2007, 10:44 am

nutbag wrote:
I love guns!

1. They are - as stated by General George Washington, our "Liberty Teeth". Armed people are citizens. Disarmed we are but peasants.

2. Useful for self defense. And while most weapons require strength and reach, a gun makes me the equal of anyone. I fail to comprehend why womesn dislike guns. With sticks, the man can still whomp us!

3. Martial arts. Like any other martial art the use and perfection of use of a firearm requires developed skill. Practice is calming and focusing.

4. I am good at it. Okay with pistol, netter with shotgun, hell for good with rifle.

5. Tech/gadget value. Lots to learn about history and development, mechanics, use.

I love them. I do not hunt, I am vegetarian. But hostile tin cans fear my name.

That pretty much sums my attitude towards firearms. I do not hunt, but I am not a vegetarian.
"Tech/gadget value. Lots to learn about history and development, mechanics, use."
Firearms are like power-tools: TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT!! !

archetype
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2007, 10:45 am

i love guns. You do, too :)

guns let human primates kill other human primates, and someday, perhaps even i can kill human primates with them, too.

i bought the domain 'Milistics' .com/.net/.org/.us/.etc.? a year ago and just recently, and now i'm incorporating, after i've been working on new technologies and weapons. i have some excellent stuff. From blades weapons (there is no such thing as just a sheath - it must have as many functions as possible without compromising the effectivity of any other function), to multi-function "Combat Rifles", to new hydro- and aero technologies, to new combat 'battle' training and combat personal gear, to Passive Perimeter Defense systems ...etc .... im covering almost everything.

i have a formal education in engineering (but didn't graduate because i started dating a girl and we had incredibly great sex and too much fun .. so wtf giant engineering 24/7 workload with all guys .. ho hum), and i worked robotics in nuclear/aerospace industry for NDT a few years

Any aspies (I dislike that name for myself or anyone except Assnbyrgerwithcheese himself. He can be an aspie; I never agreed to be called an 'aspie' after someone else's name) who have some advancements, engineering, design development having to do with weapons (any kind) or defensive measures or strategies based on newer technologies ... contact me here. But don't lay out everything, since the government, yes, DOES, monitor me. Just your background and aspie reasons for research and development, along with what essentially happens.
If you have an unusual knowledge of weapons history or specializations ... fantastic.
Martial Arts, electronics, EE, - anything militarily functional ("milistic"... yes, i know it's off, but domains names are hard to come by).

This is how an 'aspie' earns a real good living. We take all the stupid things and we make them better.

i also have "synaptiq" for more consumer-related products (initially my computer building company - but it takes me too long to build a computer).

.. and i made some killer new stuff for the marine industry which may well go under the name, "Aquavance".

Plus, i have a 40-ft houseboat in Florida on the Georgia line, and a house on a lake in Connecticut.

The houseboat has an aft cabin and a cuddy cabin, and needs cosmetic work, and could sleep anywhere from 2-to-4. It has a huge top deck, an interior helm, and a flybridge helm. If I lived on the houseboat, I'd put a bimini top over the top and mosquito netting and make my home there. So, 2-6 people. On 3 bath, possible room for two more. Plus whatever open ground area you might have where. Rent is whatever dockage might be ($450? - $500?) plus a little effort into making her more becoming.

The house can have two step-out suites in the basement directly lakefront, each with their own parking and each can have a private porch on the main level (with private entrance, too, and entrance into public porch). The main level has a fireplace, two bedrooms and a bath and a kitchen and access out to the lakefront porch. Can sleep 2-8. Needs some repair and clean-up. Rent is negotiable There also an olfarafe.

Extremely low rent affords more time for research and development.