Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 9:29 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Pennsylvania
Noam111g wrote:
Can everyone please share how you visited or traveled the states, by car or by flights, more? Did you sleep in hotels during your traveling or where?
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and wished I lived there now. After I moved out I have visited it a few times by car and spent nights in hotels.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:37 am

Noam111g wrote:
Can everyone please share how you visited or traveled the states, by car or by flights, more? Did you sleep in hotels during your traveling or where?

The best trip was riding the Amtrak Zephyr to California.It’s goes through some of the most amazing scenery.I got on at Omaha, Nebraska but you can board in Chicago.Straight to the California coast.They have sleeper compartments also.I would love to do it again.
https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 12:09 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Noam111g wrote:

The best trip was riding the Amtrak Zephyr to California.It’s goes through some of the most amazing scenery.I got on at Omaha, Nebraska but you can board in Chicago.Straight to the California coast.They have sleeper compartments also.I would love to do it again.

Note to self: book a ride the California Zephyr train sometime! :D

We used to ride the long gone Santa Fe Pullman trains when I was a kid back in the mid 20th century from Chicago to points west over much the same landscape.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 12:38 pm

the Idaho/ Oregon border changes..? Why would Oregon wish to lose landmass . One wonders if it would affect its amount of electorial votes . So these legislators in Idaho and some in (Oregon ? too) , Are spending their taxpayers dollars on writing any documentation or legislation to give the impression that they are actually thinking this could be a thing.??? Uhm... whyfore are those legislators still in office? 8O ... Their own taxpayers are having their time and money wasted by the same people. Do those states have Laws against people thinking for themselves. Maybe alittle like where I live. Cannot say for sure about my local state legislators but my County ones need badly to Resign ( En Masse) :|

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 12:45 pm

Jakki wrote:
the Idaho/ Oregon border changes..? Why would Oregon wish to lose landmass . One wonders if it would affect its amount of electorial votes . So these legislators in Idaho and some in (Oregon ? too) , Are spending their taxpayers dollars on writing any documentation or legislation to give the impression that they are actually thinking this could be a thing.??? Uhm... whyfore are those legislators still in office? 8O ... Their own taxpayers are having their time and money wasted by the same people. Do those states have Laws against people thinking for themselves. Maybe alittle like where I live. Cannot say for sure about my local state legislators but my County ones need badly to Resign ( En Masse) :|

The notion is that coastal Oregan votes Liberal, and the rural ranchers of the east vote conservative and thus is more compatible with the state of Idaho. Probably the counties in question are thinly populated and would change the population sizes (and thus the electorial votes) of either state much. Still its a rather hare brained idea.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 12:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Noam111g wrote:

I've used Amtrak on the zephyr to California also it was nice. I love traveling by train.

I want to try the sleeper compartments one day. Though a bit out of my price range right now.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:50 am

Winters Gate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Noam111g wrote:

I've used Amtrak on the zephyr to California also it was nice. I love traveling by train.

I want to try the sleeper compartments one day. Though a bit out of my price range right now.

Yes sleepers are like over 1000 USD. but they looked lovely inside when me and my husband were on board for one Amtrak trip up the coast , It was a overnighter and lovely scenery . Forgot the name of that train .

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 2:49 pm

Transcended to the other realm via potent psychedelics. Much preferred to inebriation via alcohol - even if only a mild trip vs. full send. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 11:24 pm

Been to at least two dozen states using bus, car, train, and plane. Its all good.

My fav trip was the cross country road trip our family took from eastern seaboard to the California coast when I was a teenager some years ago.

And thats what I recommend a young foreigner to do...just start at the oldest part of the country(anywhere on the eastern seaboard) and just motor west- recapping the westward movement of the pioneers. It would be a course in "America 101". Cross the Appalachians (small but rugged mountains) cross the corn belt to somewhere along the Mississippi or Chicago....cross into the flat prairie wheat belt..hit the front range of the Rockies (BIG tall mountains with permanent snowcaps) - maybe swing through the "land of enchantment" (New Mexico), see the Grand Canyon in Arizona, and then there is California (a universe unto itself).

Great way to just get the feel of the nation's history and geography into your bones.

The US is a very car centered country so we have a great highway system in every region.

The actual "Route 66" doesnt exist anymore, but the song gives you the feel.

https://youtu.be/SDCh-qMZF10

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:30 am

Well, you're all in luck. I just had my life story typed out here, to "show" how I've been to a lot of states, but the power got cut and wiped it all out. You're welcome.
I've been in, in no particular order, and in some for only a hot minute, AZ, CA, UT, NM, CO, NV, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, AK, TX (BC in Canada, BC in MX, also)... and my favourite sate by far, hands down, drum roll please...

Nevada! Specifically NW NV... as it is absolutely beautiful, diverse, wide open, EMPTY, "untouched", and yet so very inviting... which suits my autism just fine.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:31 pm

My favorite states besides Texas are Arizona, New Mexico, California, Colorado, Nevada, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, TN, Alabama and Georgia/Louisiana, Florida and Hawaii.I am debating on if i will ever live in Arizona.I may live in some of the other states in the South but most likely will spend the remainder of my life in the Lone Star State.I love me some Oklahoma so I may live there at some point.I also may live in TN, Arkansas, Alabama,MS,Georgia. I may also live in New Mexico but I doubt I will ever live there.I love Mississippi a lot so I may live there. I may just spend the summers in New Mexico or CO or Wyoming and spend the winters in Arizona or Florida instead of living there full time.

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2023, 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I can tell by what you write, its probably difficult to pick a favorite state, because there are many good ones. But I think my least favorite would be probably Alaska, mostly because of the climate. The only good thing about it is to see the cool nature over there, which is very similar to canada actually. The climate matters alot in terms of what to like, or hate, about a state. Some states are extremely hot and dry in the summertime. In terms of climate, states like California and Nevada are my least favorite, other than Alaska as I mentioned. But other than climate, I think the countryside is better than urban, big cities. You get more peaceful life, less noise, action, and traffic. The disadvantage is lack of some services. Being from Israel, I only share theoretically, from my point of view and research I've done around the Internet on a couple US states I liked. I never permanently resided in the US. But during my last visit, I have got to experiences things similarly to a any other normal US citizen. Other than all that, can you guys explain what matters to you the most about a state? For me, it has always mostly been the weather, climate. I hate too cold or too hot places, for example.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:19 pm

I live where I live because it is where I found a good job. (It is not in my favorite state.)

If you're going to choose a place to live and then seek work there, perhaps this could help: 
U.S. News & World Report: "Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2023-2024"

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:34 pm

Staying away from city centers in most States of the USA , you can find much lovely land and countrysides .
Many places have almost breathe taking veiws if you know where to go. Usually a little Research with States tourism agency or like the US company called AAA or the like ,which does travel, Auto insurance , and travel magazines . There are River Tours of the major waterways of the USA . Even the deserts have their charms , If you know the time of day and places to be . Huge Mountains , National Forests ...etc. Calif has some unique properties ..If you are good at timing your visits , Early Spring to mid Spring is best , Sunsets are grand , when was there , could be in the mountains at the snow, and if you drove a hour and a half - 2 hours, you could be at the beach on the same day. Lovely contrasts, Oregon coastline has beautiful veiws . Manificent Forests, Awe inspiring .Lovely Rivers , and 10 story tall waterfalls .The US has a huge number of species of wildlife and birds .Then inland is the Grand Canyon unbelievable stories :skull: and veiws back West is Sedona Ariz. Place of Mystical energies supposably 8O . These are just the ones that immediately come to mind .
Some Aspies are abit allergy sensative , I think ? so bring a allergy med. that you know works for your body .
Just un case . :roll:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 7:36 am

Noam111g wrote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I can tell by what you write, its probably difficult to pick a favorite state, because there are many good ones. But I think my least favorite would be probably Alaska, mostly because of the climate. The only good thing about it is to see the cool nature over there, which is very similar to canada actually. The climate matters alot in terms of what to like, or hate, about a state. Some states are extremely hot and dry in the summertime. In terms of climate, states like California and Nevada are my least favorite, other than Alaska as I mentioned. But other than climate, I think the countryside is better than urban, big cities. You get more peaceful life, less noise, action, and traffic. The disadvantage is lack of some services. Being from Israel, I only share theoretically, from my point of view and research I've done around the Internet on a couple US states I liked. I never permanently resided in the US. But during my last visit, I have got to experiences things similarly to a any other normal US citizen. Other than all that, can you guys explain what matters to you the most about a state? For me, it has always mostly been the weather, climate. I hate too cold or too hot places, for example.

I prefer to live in red states.I wont live in a state that is not gun friendly. I look for states that have long blistering summers because I love hot weather so much.I look for states that have more freedom.I look for states where I am allowed to use deer feeders when I am hunting whitetail deer. I look for states that have cheap real estate and cost of living.I look for states that have a big oil and gas industry.I look for states that have no state income tax or a very low state income tax.
I look for states where multi-million dollar parsonages are tax-free.My current state of Texas has this.I look for states that have lots of hunting,shooting,camping, and fishing.I want the state I live to be super gun friendly.I look for states where its legal for me to give my children alcohol before they are 21.I look for states that have easy access to alcohol in the area I would live in.Need German culure where I live and good food.

I need states that have good grocery stores like HEB.I look for states where its homeschooling friendly.I look for states that have a high church of Christ population.I look for places that lots of family.Texas meets my needs very well.I look for states that have low business taxes.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2023, 2:32 pm

Washington state. I've only visited Seattle twice in my life (both times were during late autumn), but it felt like paradise up there to me, plus I enjoy the rain. :vampire:

Maybe one day I'll be able to move out of stupid California to western Washington.