What does being Canadian mean to you?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Veggamattic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2023, 7:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Are there any other Canadians in this thread who were actually alive in the 70s, or witnessed the changes from that time forward?

I was 7-17 in the 70's. What type of changes do you mean?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Are there any other Canadians in this thread who were actually alive in the 70s, or witnessed the changes from that time forward?

Not Canadian but visited there frequently in the 70s and can maybe remember a couple of things younger Canadians don't.

-- Gasoline was sold in Imperial Gallons.
-- The situation in Quebec was bad around 1970. Really really bad.
-- They already had bag milk.
-- Dollars were still bank notes. There may have been a coin but it was usually a bank note.
-- After the "oil shocks" of the early 70s the Canadian dollar was actually worth more than the US dollar for a while.

Admittedly not much. TBH maybe Canada doesn't really change all that much.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

29 May 2023, 7:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I will have to disagree with you on that point. I believe in assimilation over multiculturalism, that does not mean that you cannot practice your own culture and customs at home but once you step out into public spaces you should honor Canadian social customs and be able to speak English or French.

One could argue honouring Canadian social customs would require embracing our long-established tradition of multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism was a term that was established and popularized in the 1970's, 50 years does not qualify for long established in my books.

How does speaking the language of occupiers and colonists honour Canadian customs? It really seems to honour foreign customs imposed by colonizers.

Because this British built our country and we cannot be a cohesive and productive together if we cannot understand each other.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:50 pm

I'm an American.

People are free to speak whatever language they want to. What a person should do when it comes to language is their business.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:51 pm

I remember the FLQ crisis and the 1980 Quebec Referendum.
Yes it was really, really bad.
I remember the Montreal Olympics in 1976.
I remember imperial gallons, and $1 and $2 bank notes.
I remember when our dollar was worth more than yours.
I know bag milk existed but I've never used it.
I don't even know anyone who did.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I will have to disagree with you on that point. I believe in assimilation over multiculturalism, that does not mean that you cannot practice your own culture and customs at home but once you step out into public spaces you should honor Canadian social customs and be able to speak English or French.

One could argue honouring Canadian social customs would require embracing our long-established tradition of multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism was a term that was established and popularized in the 1970's, 50 years does not qualify for long established in my books.

How does speaking the language of occupiers and colonists honour Canadian customs? It really seems to honour foreign customs imposed by colonizers.

Because this British built our country and we cannot be a cohesive and productive together if we cannot understand each other.

That doesn't actually address my point. If those foreigners didn't assimilate, why should I expect other foreigners to assimilate?

Why should recent immigrants have to assimilate more than the original cohort of uninvited guests ever bothered to?

If the descendents of those uninvited guests don't like the nation changing they're always welcome to leave, they don't have to live here.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
That doesn't actually address my point. If those foreigners didn't assimilate, why should I expect other foreigners to assimilate?

Why should recent immigrants have to assimilate more than the original cohort of uninvited guests ever bothered to?

If the descendents of those uninvited guests don't like the nation changing they're always welcome to leave, they don't have to live here.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

30 May 2023, 5:09 am

If the descendents of those uninvited guests don't like the nation changing they're always welcome to leave, they don't have to live here.[/quote]

I was born here love, that makes me just as much a native as anyone else. And may I remind you the British won, this was not the first and certainly not the last time a land has been invaded. But you may be right to think that what is happening right now with mass migration is karma for what happened a few hundred years ago I am not denying that. But the fact is that we are all here now and we need to get along.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I was born here love, that makes me just as much a native as anyone else. And may I remind you the British won, this was not the first and certainly not the last time a land has been invaded. But you may be right to think that what is happening right now with mass migration is karma for what happened a few hundred years ago I am not denying that. But the fact is that we are all here now and we need to get along.

Being born here makes you a Canadian citizen, but it doesn’t make you Indigenous.

Oh, interesting how the British won a few hundred years ago and since people are here we’re all supposed to get along how you say we should by assimilating to British colonizer social customs instead of accepting that the population here continues to evolve and include many newcomers who are about as far from being British as possible, who also bring their own social customs and so on.

Interesting indeed. :chin:

Maybe some people need to hear the message in win/loss terms: British descendants are losing/have lost. Now Canadian social customs are those of newcomers of a variety of backgrounds. Remaining descendants of British colonizers should respectfully assimilate to Canadian ways.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 7:18 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I was 7-17 in the 70's. What type of changes do you mean?

I didn't mean anything specific, but other people in this thread keep referring to changes they weren't alive to witness.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

30 May 2023, 10:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Being born here makes you a Canadian citizen, but it doesn’t make you Indigenous.

Oh, interesting how the British won a few hundred years ago and since people are here we’re all supposed to get along how you say we should by assimilating to British colonizer social customs instead of accepting that the population here continues to evolve and include many newcomers who are about as far from being British as possible, who also bring their own social customs and so on.

Maybe some people need to hear the message in win/loss terms: British descendants are losing/have lost. Now Canadian social customs are those of newcomers of a variety of backgrounds. Remaining descendants of British colonizers should respectfully assimilate to Canadian ways.

Well if colonizing Canada was such a bad thing then why are we bringing more people over? Haven't the native Indians gone through enough with just white Europeans? I worked with a native guy for a little while and he could not stand immigrants. He said having white people around is bad enough.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:49 pm

Well if colonizing Canada was such a bad thing then why are we bringing more people over? Haven't the native Indians gone through enough with just white Europeans? I worked with a native guy for a little while and he could not stand immigrants. He said having white people around is bad enough.

Do you really think that some of the worlds most prime real estate (natural resources, climate) is going to be left largely uninhabited? :?

Or you were just hoping the flow of people into Canada would somehow magically stop at white people ? :chin:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:10 am

We all need to get along doesn't translate to we all need to assimilate into Anglo culture without questioning it, improving upon it or absorbing other influences.

We don't owe it to Anglos to assimilate into their culture, nor do immigrants. Canadian culture is defined by Canadians, and that includes immigrants and indigenous peoples, not just French and English colonists. If the descendents of colonists don't like sharing our land with other people they can get the f**k off it and make room for people who are willing to share.

You can insist the British won, but need to remember that's a past tense. The struggle never actually ended despite attempts to pretend it has. We're still here despite all attempts to ensure otherwise.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:15 am

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

What are more recent immigrants going to do that Anglos haven't already? :roll:

It wasn't Punjabis or Chinese or Nigerians who sought to ethnically cleanse this continent, they're all peoples with their own legitimate concerns regarding British imperialism. I'm sorry your coworker was too ignorant to understand that, but most native people don't share his attitude.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う