Is it weird to have an imaginary friend

Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

19 Feb 2024, 11:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Debunking is only possible once someone starts to provide evidence that can be evaluated. With no evidence whatsoever it's not even possible to debunk a claim. The options are to either take it at face value or dismiss it as unsubstantiated nonsense.


Not true, a lot of debunking starts the moment somebody mentions "I saw a flying saucer"


And in those cases they're giving the claim more credibility than it ever deserved, often to the point of steelmanning the initial claim only to tear down the steel-manned version.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,284

19 Feb 2024, 11:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Debunking is only possible once someone starts to provide evidence that can be evaluated. With no evidence whatsoever it's not even possible to debunk a claim. The options are to either take it at face value or dismiss it as unsubstantiated nonsense.


Not true, a lot of debunking starts the moment somebody mentions "I saw a flying saucer"


And in those cases they're giving the claim more credibility than it ever deserved, often to the point of steelmanning the initial claim only to tear down the steel-manned version.


Not even sure what that means?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

19 Feb 2024, 11:22 pm

Quote:
A steel man argument (or steelmanning) is the opposite of a straw man argument. Steelmanning is the practice of addressing the strongest form of the other person's argument, even if it is not the one they presented. Creating the strongest form of the opponent's argument may involve removing flawed assumptions that could be easily refuted or developing the strongest points which counter one's own position, as "we know our belief's real weak points". This may lead to improvements on one's own positions where they are incorrect or incomplete. Developing counters to these strongest arguments an opponent might bring results in producing an even stronger argument for one's own position.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,284

20 Feb 2024, 1:12 am

funeralxempire wrote:
This may lead to improvements on one's own positions where they are incorrect or incomplete. Developing counters to these strongest arguments an opponent might bring results in producing an even stronger argument for one's own position.


Right, so if you experience a phenomena where you are confronted with something that isn't technically supposed to exist you tell yourself "ok occam's razor, what I am look at is probably swamp gas, but...it doesn't look like swamp gas?" :Wait, what if I report I saw a flying disc that's moving from upper atmosphere to ground level in a split second, no I better not, I will be told 100% I was imagining it. Yes, putting my head in the sand seems like the most sensible thing to do.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

20 Feb 2024, 1:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
This may lead to improvements on one's own positions where they are incorrect or incomplete. Developing counters to these strongest arguments an opponent might bring results in producing an even stronger argument for one's own position.


Right, so if you experience a phenomena where you are confronted with something that isn't technically supposed to exist you tell yourself "ok occam's razor, what I am look at is probably swamp gas, but...it doesn't look like swamp gas?" :Wait, what if I report I saw a flying disc that's moving from upper atmosphere to ground level in a split second, no I better not, I will be told 100% I was imagining it. Yes, putting my head in the sand seems like the most sensible thing to do.


I wouldn't insist it must be aliens or angels until other, more plausible explanations have been ruled out.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2023
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 892

20 Feb 2024, 1:43 am

Just yesterday, I came into contact with a niche culture called tulpa.
Practitioners believe that tulpa are able to communicate with their hosts in ways that they believe do not stem from their own thoughts.
Frankly, it looks like a form of learned schizophrenia, although these people don't like that description.
I had half a mind to practice it, but considering it's irreversible, I gave up.


_________________
Enjoy discussing politics, sometimes have to beat around the bush.
Often use wrong words, really sorry


Last edited by belijojo on 20 Feb 2024, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,484
Location: Stalag 13

20 Feb 2024, 1:50 am

I have an imaginary friend. His name is Grunt. He's a German soldier who haunts people who turn on me in their sleep.


_________________
Who wants to adopt a Sweet Pea?