Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 6:27 pm

Describe your house/apartment/rented room/dorm/boarding school/work camp/refugee camp/jail/mental hospital/whatever!

I live in a room at the YMCA... we have free access to the fitness facilities during certain hours... courts, gym with basketball nets and stairs leading up to a shaky running track, a pool, weight-lifting equipment, treadmills and other stuff, a section with mats and those exercise ball things, carpeted locker rooms with hair dryers and shower rooms... there's also more stuff that's only for members, like the steam room and a room with magazines and the latest newspapers. There's a members' TV room and a residents' TV room (with a big flat-screen TV and several armchairs, a coffee machine, 2 drink machines and a junk food machine, a microwave on a small table, two other tables with a few chairs, an alcove with a plastic table with random stuff on it like dishes and a kitchen counter with a sink, at leat one outlet on the wall behind it, an electric kettle, a toaster oven and a coffee maker. CAn openers used to be in a drawer but now you have to go up to the front desk to askfor one), a computer room with 3 computers with the internet, vending machines on every floor I think, a "multipurpose room" on the fourth floor where the kids' daycamp often did activities in the summer. Each room has a mailbox behind the front desk. There's also a cafeteria inside the front door. There are cameras on every floor. If you have food and don't ahve a mini-fridge in your room, you just give it to the people at the front desk to put in the fridge or the freezer.

I live on the 4th floor, which is for single women and groups with at least one female. You come out into the elevator lobby from the stairwell or the elevator, and there's a soft drink machine, a small table and a chair, and the security door into the corridor. 4th-floor residents have a key with a number 4 engraved on it that opens the security door. The number 4 key also opens the door to the women's bathroom. The men's bathroom isn't keyed... and it's what you see in the corner to your left as you go down the corridor. There's then a turn left, and there are doors to rooms on both sides of the walls. The doors used to be wooden but they replaced them with steel ones with peepholes. On each door is a piece of paper with its room's number printed out on it, taped to the door. At the end of the hall is another left turn and there is the women's bathroom, with a wooden door with vents in the top and bottom. At the end of that short hall is another resident's room one the left and the door to the fire exit stairwell on the right, which sounds an alarm if you open it.

Inside the women's bathroom there are two toilet stalls, four sinks (two on either side of a white-tiled partition surmounted by a board thing with mirror on both sides). There are two shower cubicles with curtains, and a plastic chair and a smaller little kids' plastic chair. Next to the door is a large garbage can with a paper towel dispenser on the wall over it. Laminated signs in the bathroom tell you to wash your hands properly and to please warn people in the shower before you flush the toilet, as the toilets take cold water from the showers and scald the people in the shower. The whole bathroom, from floor to ceiling, is tiled.

The men's bathroom is diffeent. Two toilet stalls, no urinals, and a counter facing the wall with one sink in it, and that bit of wall is mirrored. There are also a few shower stalls, nicer than in the women's bathroom. The men's bathroom, being less populated, is noticeably cleaner.

Residents live on the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th floors. The 8th floor is said to be vey quiet and away from it all.

The 7th floor I don't know about.

The 6th floor has a mixed group of residents-- men, women, children. That's where my acquaintance, another diagnosed depressive named David, lived before he moved out.

The 5th floor is all men (though I actually heard of one woman living on the 5th floor). That's where my friend Terrance lives. It has the same metal doors as on the 4th floor, but they also have a drinking fountain and a laundry room, unlike us. We have to go up to the 5th floor to do our laundry. It's a small room with 2 washers and 2 dryers, with a table against the wall in the hall outside. That floor has two men's bathrooms and no women's bathrooms.

There are all kinds of people here. Everyone seems to be doing something for depression. About a fourth are drinking and smoking pot, a 4th are doing heavier drugs, a 4th are either addicted to sedatives or taking prescription antidepressants, and a 4th are doing "other, non-drug things" to get rid fo their depression. I belong to the group that's on legal, prescribed antidepressants ad that's all I take.

The YMCA is right across the street from a mall that has most of what you need.

Now describe where you live!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Sep 2007, 7:14 pm

i live in flagstaff, Arizona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff%2C_Arizona

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2007, 8:05 pm

I live on my sailboat “Everyman.” She’s my home and wherever I sail her I am always home. Right now she lays Stuart, Florida, USA. Around this time last year she was in Portugal, Spain and Morocco. She has everything a house has. A comfy stateroom; head and shower; nice saloon with stereo, flat screen tv/dvd, diesel fireplace; full galley with full oven/range, microwave, built in refrig and two deep freezers; chartroom with full navigation system, worldwide satellite comms and internet. She carries 6 months of food and fuel. She has kept me safe in full gales, hurricanes and from wasting my life in a conventional NT lifestyle.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 8:16 pm

Oh God...tree's, shrubs-road looks to be asphult
I am directly under the earth's sun...n...now!

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 8:31 pm

There's some land and some plants and the occasional animal. There are also people here. Some days there's sunshine, other days it rains or storms. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I live in a dwelling with four walls and a roof, and a front door through which I enter and leave. I use a key to open the front door. In my kitchen, there is food, which I eat daily.

When I look outside my window, I can see things.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 8:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northolt

I have a flat in the aforementioned racecourse estate that is payed for by local government. The positioning and juxtaposition of my apartment may be most inauspicious, according to a feng-shui book i am studying :? so i might have some serious work ahead to remedy & re-channel the qi imbalance.

I often visit the 14th century 'moated manor' which is a very beautiful site, northala fields, towpath and other quiet places not mentioned. Didnt know there used to be a POW camp down the road. Its no longer as dangerous round here as the wiki article suggests IMO E2A: well not this street anyway.

Last edited by psych on 10 Sep 2007, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 8:52 pm

psych wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northolt

I have a flat in the aforementioned racecourse estate that is payed for by local government. The positioning and juxtaposition of my apartment may be most inauspicious, according to a feng-shui book i am studying :? so i might have some serious work ahead to remedy & re-channel the qi imbalance.

I often visit the 14th century 'moated manor' which is a very beautiful site, northala fields, towpath and other quiet places not mentioned. Didnt know there used to be a POW camp down the road. Its no longer as dangerous round here as the wiki article suggests IMO.
Hey! That's where My Hero takes place!

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 8:57 pm

werbert wrote:
Hey! That's where My Hero takes place!

I used to live in nearby Pinner, where May to December & One Foot in the Grave were set & i would never have known that without wikipedia :lol:
never really seen My Hero - are there many outdoor scenes? :?

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:34 pm

Only stock sitcom outdoor footage, to show where the scene is set. I have never heard of either of those other shows. I guess they aren't on BBC America.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm

username88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:08 pm

Todd489 wrote:

Yup that pretty much sums it up for me too. Clever btw.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 11:26 pm

Kit wrote:
I live on my sailboat “Everyman.” She’s my home and wherever I sail her I am always home. Right now she lays Stuart, Florida, USA. Around this time last year she was in Portugal, Spain and Morocco. She has everything a house has. A comfy stateroom; head and shower; nice saloon with stereo, flat screen tv/dvd, diesel fireplace; full galley with full oven/range, microwave, built in refrig and two deep freezers; chartroom with full navigation system, worldwide satellite comms and internet. She carries 6 months of food and fuel. She has kept me safe in full gales, hurricanes and from wasting my life in a conventional NT lifestyle.

Hey, you can come and visit us on the commune! :D I hope we can find some land on the shore so that you can come visit us! My dad wants to buy a boat and live on it too, btw.

Yogamat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2007, 11:32 pm

300 square feet in a rectangle adjoined by people too close but hey! one of the world's best beaches is only 4 blocks away!

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2007, 11:41 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Kit wrote:

Hey, you can come and visit us on the commune! :D I hope we can find some land on the shore so that you can come visit us! My dad wants to buy a boat and live on it too, btw.

Count me in. But I can’t live on the dirt; I get horribly landsick if I try to sleep there (I’m not kidding). Having your commune near the water would be great. You can harvest fresh food from the sea in quantities that are easy to handle and store. You could even start a communal fishing business, Aspies make great seamen and fishermen.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2007, 11:48 pm

In Michigan, between Ann Arbor and Detroit.

Still in the same ranch-style house I grew up in. It's a very small cultisac of a neighborhood, at least a mile from, well, everything. My lack of desire to interact with others kept me sane, yet further stunted my emotional development.

My back yard drops off into what once was a gravel pit. About a decade ago, some developer finally started building closely-bunched monster-houses whose owners mostly buy them as investments. Some of them would snottily insist that we of the old neighborhood make changes to our back yards so as not to drop property values. The joke had already been on them for years since most of what they plant dies in the rocky soil, and expensive homes in a hole in the ground with middle class houses looming over them isn't all that appealing, but I guess the recent housing market bust was the definitive punchline!

I wouldn't have anything against them, except 15 years ago their diversion of a stream that runs behind our neighborhood caused a neighbor's back yard to collapse; six big trees just keeled over, thankfully missing their house. The head developer was once heard to say of our houses, "I don't care if they all fall in...", fostering my lifelong desire to fight the man! I should probably get going on that again.

Our acre back yard has the densest bunch of trees in the neighborhood. Only the orchard across the street from us has more.

The orchard is home to a small herd of deer that sometimes eat my mom's plants.

When I was young, everyone could just let their dogs run free, forming a community more diverse and interesting than the human one. Now, loose animals are occasionally shot at by some kid with a BB gun.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 9:20 am

Ana54 wrote:
I live in a room at the YMCA...

Altogether now

#It's fun to stay at the YMCA

I live in a fla/appartment in Chatham Kent just off the main high street just a 2 minute walk from all the shops out my window there is a road which is always busy oppersite there is a residential home for old people. Next to that is a church on my side next door to me is a Chinese restaurant the other side is a pub.