How would things be if all adults carried guns in public lik

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

How would things be if all adults with the exception of convicted criminals and those determined not to be able to safely handle a gun due to something such as mental illness or intellectual disability were required to carry guns with them when they were in public like they were required to wear pants? Would things be safer or would there be an increase in gun homicides?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:42 pm

lol

Is this even a real question?

Of course there would be more gun violence.

Numbers never lie.. USA has 360 Million guns.. and more gun violence than anywhere else. Coincidence? Literally the only people who will tell you that the solution to gun violence is more guns are gun nut NRA members and anyone who stands to make money from the sale of said guns & ammo. Every sane rational person will tell you that fewer guns means fewer incidents of gun related deaths - as is evidenced by every other country on the face of the planet with proper gun control laws.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:22 pm

Honestly, I don't know. I want to believe that better gun control is the way to go, but when I take a look at the central american countries with flat out gun bans (namely the one I immigrated from, which is now dubbed one of the murder capitals of the world) and see what they've become... it makes me wonder if it's truly possible to keep the guns away from the people that shouldn't have them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:30 pm

I think that would be a mess. What if someone plans to be drinking for instance, you really think they should have a gun with them if there is a good chance their judgement will become impaired? What if they stumble a little and bump into something or someone and the gun goes off by accident? Just seems like a bad idea for everyone to be carrying a gun around at all times.

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 2:52 pm

If that happened and the subtraction of violent media then I suppose there would be most positive things going on the news.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2018, 4:58 am

Everyone carried guns in the western days & unlike the media portrays, there was actually very little shootouts. At least that's what I heard in history class.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 5:06 am

nick007 wrote:
Everyone carried guns in the western days & unlike the media portrays, there was actually very little shootouts. At least that's what I heard in history class.

That might be a really a good way to answer that question with a working model. How many american civilians carried guns between 1875 to1895 and what was the civilian death toll due to gunfire during that time?

Not that I'm saying I'm in favor of it, but it would be interesting to crunch the numbers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2018, 5:11 am

EzraS wrote:
nick007 wrote:

That's really a good way to answer that question with a working model. How many americans carried guns between 1875 to1895 and what was the death toll due to gunfire during that time?

Not that I'm saying I'm in favor of it, but it would be interesting to crunch the numbers.
Thanx. I'd kinda like to know the figures too for comparisons sake. Things have changed alot since then thou like being alot more crowded & lots of mental illnesses so I don't exactly think we should do it now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 11:07 am

The left would be like really, really mad.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Wouldn't 100% of those on the left be insta-dead because they're not packing heat?

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 3:19 pm

My dad would have killed me long ago. This bastard has abused me since I was a little child, broke my nose, hit me with a tree trunk. Do you really believe so many people could be properly screened for mental illness? Do you think only mentally ill people are a threat?

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 3:36 pm

There'd be an increase in people accidentally shooting themselves in the leg! What would have been fist fights would end in badly-wounded/dead people. You'd be terrified to stand up to anybody in case they shot you. People wouldn't go to the doctor for mental health conditions anymore for fear of not being allowed a gun, and anyone without one would be extremely vulnerable. Sounds like a terrible idea to me!

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 3:42 pm

^^^Sounds like a great plot for a novel in Robert Shekley style.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 4:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Wouldn't 100% of those on the left be insta-dead because they're not packing heat?

What exactly does that mean?

Why would not having a gun make you insta-dead? And what makes you think everyone on the left would be opposed to owning a gun?

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:56 pm

I imagine it would be much like Texas.

(that's mostly a joke)

I am a Bookwyrm.

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2018, 2:32 am

nevermind