Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:01 pm

I guess it was inevitable my interest in these would grow considering the biggest in the world often dock here in Southampton and Titanic set off from here.

Queen Mary 2 is still the largest in terms of dimensions, coming in at 1,134 feet long although in terms of tonnage, she is smaller than Freedom Of The Seas, which launched from here in May 2006, followed by her sister ship, Liberty Of The Seas, who launched May this year. The final ship, coming in at 60,000 tons and like the others, 1,112 feet long is due to launch May 2008 and will be called Independence Of The Seas.

Here is the Queen Mary 2. The original Queen Mary is in permanent residence in Long Island.

And here are some images of Freedom Of The Seas.

Here is the Oriana, run by P&O. She is 853 feet and docks here soon.

And here is Oceana, also P&O ferries. She was docked here the other day and set off at 5pm. A woman died after falling overboard just before she docked. She is 856 feet, just a little larger than Oriana.

And finally. Navigator Of The Seas. She is coming into port and setting off again on the 6th of this month. She is 1020 feet long and 158 feet wide.

And finally... to compare, Titanic was 882.75 feet. Pretty impressive for a ship in that day...larger than many of the modern day cruise liners.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:18 pm

wow...feels like I'm waisting a fortune just sitting here :lol:

oh wel better make the most of it :)

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 10:31 pm

You share an obsession with my 13 year old brother :)

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2007, 2:38 am

I sometimes daydream about owning one. Check out www.yachtworld.com if you haven't yet, a broker site for ships. It'd be really neat cruising around in a submarine: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 74011&url=

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 2:20 pm

If the supposed skating track on Navigator of the Seas is big enough, I might want to work on that ship. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see that track on any diagram I've found.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 3:32 pm

Thanks Graelwyn, they are truly beautifull and impressive ships.
My Grandfather was in the merchant navy working for P&O
I was in the Royal Navy but would have liked to see the huge Battleships between the two world wars.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 3:56 pm

I just think boats are beautiful. Sad I missed the boat show here this year as they get Tallships and those really are stunning. I toured one last year that you pay to work on, specially designed for able bodied and disabled people.

I saw a freight ship sailing off tonight...huge, bulky thing. Took some pics but not sorted them yet. It was sunset so it looked nice. I would love to see inside, that is for sure.

I think even as a child I loved boats, but never got interested in actually studying their dimensions and how they are built.

A large majority of the main cruise ships are built in Finland these days.

Anyone remember Herald Of The Free Enterprise? The Zeebrugge ferry disaster? 192 people died when the roll on, roll off ferry set off with her bow doors open because the crew member who was meant to close them had fallen asleep on his break and no one else bothered to check. As a result, water poured into the car area and when it turned a corner, it capsized.

Yet, its sister ship had set off on a prior occasion with bow doors open and managed to reach its destination. They believe part of the issue was that extra water had been put into the ferry's balast tanks to lower the bow so it was more level with the dock and also it was in shallow water when it capsized and something to do with the draft pushing the water in.

I am relieved to find I can still memorise and regurgitate large chunks of information :P

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 7:28 pm

Now Warships... there's something catches my eye.

Sorry, but I don't like cruise ships. Reminds me of all the rich people I hate.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.