Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

My landlord just emailed me to say that if I'm not in at a specified time he'll "let himself in". I swear, I could imagine myself impaling him with a spear right through his whole being (I have, as you can imagine, already a sour opinion of landlords... getting as much money as one would have in a normal job simply for having even more money to buy housing and rent it out? If that's not the definition of a parasitic fiend I don't know what is).

Are they able to do that legally, though? I was once in a hostel which had a different kind of renting agreement, which made it able to go in rooms if maintenance was needed, but only for the upkeep of the whole building. But normal tenancies too?

I'm just wondering whether I should consider standing up to this... potentially staying here and physically blocking his access. I just think this is blatant injustice - gets all the money AND still can "let himself in"? I'm sorry, but when you rent something out it's not yours anymore for a period! It's already unfair that he has a copy of the keys - aren't there ever any lawsuits where landlords are accused of stealing or such?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:33 pm

Well I don't have any issues with landlords yet (I'm with a very large company and I fully trust the superintendent). Where I live they have to ask permission to enter and can only do it during the daylight hours EXCEPT if they give written notice (I think a week). I'm sure the laws vary but I do believe they can enter if they have a "reasonable" excuse to where I live.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:36 pm

Mootoo wrote:
My landlord just emailed me to say that if I'm not in at a specified time he'll "let himself in". I swear, I could imagine myself impaling him with a spear right through his whole being (I have, as you can imagine, already a sour opinion of landlords... getting as much money as one would have in a normal job simply for having even more money to buy housing and rent it out? If that's not the definition of a parasitic fiend I don't know what is).

Are they able to do that legally, though? I was once in a hostel which had a different kind of renting agreement, which made it able to go in rooms if maintenance was needed, but only for the upkeep of the whole building. But normal tenancies too?

I'm just wondering whether I should consider standing up to this... potentially staying here and physically blocking his access. I just think this is blatant injustice - gets all the money AND still can "let himself in"? I'm sorry, but when you rent something out it's not yours anymore for a period! It's already unfair that he has a copy of the keys - aren't there ever any lawsuits where landlords are accused of stealing or such?

Unless they have given you minimum 24 hours notice I believe that is illegal. And I believe it would also only then be possible for an urgent repair etc. Otherwise they have to arrange it with you at a convenient time, and you have the right to enjoy your tenancy peacefully, without interference from the landlord.

Google and you will find lots of relevant information. In fact, the landlord could be trespassing if he enters without you being there or without your agreement or knowledge.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm

whirlingmind, is correct as far as I know.

A tenant has to be given 24 hours notice of a visit unless for example there was an emergency that required immediate attention ie a gas leak, the roof had blown off!

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

Is there anything in your contract?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 4:29 pm

Keep in mind that the original poster, MooToo, is in the UK, not the US. It is quite possible that a specific practice that would be illegal in any state in the US might be legal in the UK.

I think that in general in the US, a landlord or someone acting as his agent can enter individual apartments for a wide number of reasons with little or no notice. One example would be pest control. Another would be in the case of a gas leak. I also would not be surprised if a landlord could enter an apartment without notice to try to mitigate damages if water or sewage was pouring into the apartment from a broken pipe above the apartment.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Nov 2012, 4:32 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

Thinking back to my days of flat renting, the landlord must give reasonable notice before visiting - he can't just stroll in whenever he feels like it - and I don't think there's any requirement for the tenant to be present. It's sufficient to serve notice of the visit.
I'm pretty sure he can also visit for any non-trivial reason - it's his property after all.

Your contract should definitely make it clear.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

As far as I know, the landlord should give normally give two days notice of a visit, unless for an emergency.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 9:01 pm

http://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.u ... rights.htm

Quote:
The right to live in the accommodation undisturbed

A tenant has the right to live in your accommodation without being disturbed. They have the right to have control over their home so that their landlord and other people cannot freely enter whenever they want to.

A landlord cannot limit or otherwise interfere with a tenants right to live in their accommodation or they could be found guilty of harassment.

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Conveyanci ... sibilities

Quote:
The right to privacy

Under law, your landlord must give you 24 hours notice in writing before any visit. If they persist in showing up unannounced they can be charged for harassment.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 12:58 pm

Why specificallyy does he want to enter your apartment?

Repairs?
A legally-obligated evaluation of some kind?
Have there been ( supposedly) complaints that he needs to look into?
Can you ask other tenants if they have received messages like this?

Sylkat