Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

22 Oct 2007, 7:19 pm

I like Guinness and blackcurrant. Cheese and crackers are a given.

potato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2007, 7:28 pm

a drink

blossom_bottom
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2007, 8:09 pm

I\'ve never been to a pub yet

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 9:32 pm

A flagon of Mead.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 4:41 am

A lager they have on tap, Gem or Foster's or something like that. I like Guinness but that's more of an acquired taste so you might hate it, same goes for bitters. Avoid sweet cocktails like screwdrivers, they go to your head faster than hard liquor. Have some fat-rich snack along with your drink, cashews, cheese, that sort of thing, or a full meal, it helps soak up the alcohol. I would also drink water before going out for the same reason. Also, the best way to prevent a hangover i've found is to drink huge amounts of water when you get home.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:50 am

Tequila wrote:
Well, yes. There would be more keg options. But that's the sort of place she should be frequenting.

A rich and wonderful part of our country is our beer-producing heritage. We have hundreds of real ale breweries producing thousands of beers up and down the country - they all taste different, with varying strengths. One of the great things about Britain is that you can sample all of these lovely ales. Not so long ago this was almost dying out but a campaigning organisation rescued this style of beer and it is alive and well today. Many pubs only have keg options, so your pint of bitter/lager/cider will taste the same in Glasgow as it does in Gloucester. Try to support the real thing whenever you can.

Look on the Internet if you're unsure of where to drink. London has loads of pubs so you should be able to find somewhere top-draw - even if that, after trying several pints of delicious real ale, you decide it's not your thing.

Not a fan of real ale myself. Not a fan of any of the "chewy" drinks really. Reminds me all too much of eating a pie, and if i want to eat a pie then i will, but if i'm drinking a pint i want to be drinking a pint.

Consistency of taste isnt alwaya a bad thing, and some real ales taste like they have mud and twigs in them, so it can be quite hit and miss, and a waste of a cuople of quid.

The organisation will be CAMRA yes? CAMpaign For Real Ale. Beer Aspies, as I like to know them.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2007, 8:13 am

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Tequila, thanks for that pic too. I went out the other night but I just got a Smirnoff Ice again, haha. Next time I'll try something different.

I'll definitely look out for the drinks you suggested, LadyMacbeth. Pear cider sounds nice... :)

So what's a good beer that is not too bitter or strong? And are all Smirnoff drinks the same/similar in terms of taste, etc?

Of course, I'll have to just TRY them sometime, LOL, but I want to at least avoid the worst...

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

23 Oct 2007, 9:48 am

Smirnoff drinks are all vodka based. As Smirnoff is a brand of vodka. :) Smirnoff Black Ice (which I haven't seen in a while unfortunately) is more of a crisp taste than the normal Ice, and it's clear. It also doesn't leave your throat all groggy after drinking it. WKD drinks are vodka based too, and they have lots of different flavours like Iron Brew, Apple, "Blue" which is like mixed fruit, cherry, etc.

Malibu and pineapple is a lovely one. Coconut rum and pineapple juice. Yum. But it's seen as a very girly drink. :lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 11:03 am

For a beer, I like dark mild. Not too bitter, a nice dry drink and low in alcohol. Not many pubs serve this style of beer any more (you'll almost never find it down south) but you might be able to find it bottled under Moorhouse's Black Cat. I saw a bottle of that in the local supermarket today.

And yes I meant CAMRA. They really are quite obsessive about their beer some of them.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 12:56 pm

Instead of vodka, try some gin. Boodles is a nice brand. You can try some fruit juice with it, just to sweeten it up.