Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

autisticstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 10:32 am

Last night I spoke in front of a group of people and it went much better than I thought it would. I belong to a club where people practice speaking in front of a group of people and we meet twice a month. I gave a speech where I told some things about myself. It was a last minute speech as I cobbled it together about three hours before the meeting :lol: . Of course when I got feedback they it was inevitable that eye contact should be mentioned :roll: . I just decided to tell some things about myself and didn't bother trying to tell them what they wanted to hear. I mentioned liking foreign films and my fluffy white stuffed polar bear and how I love to watch birds hopping along the windowsill outside. Someone made the comment that my love of books came out and how it had my speech flowed in a poetic way. The other person who gave a speech was a long time member of the club who has already given several speeches. I was voted best speaker and I got a blue ribbon for a prize. On the positive side someone did mention that I had a warm smile and that was great to hear since a lot of times my facial expressions don't match what I am feeling inside and it gets me in trouble because people think I am mad or something :roll: . I was so proud of myself because I managed to shake off this feeling of impending doom and come up with a speech.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 10:42 am

Congratulations!! That is an awesome achievement. Now that you've done it once with practice it will be easier and you can work on things such as eye contact.
I have a small piece of advice I was given about making eye contact when speaking to a group. I was told to focus on the people at the back and look slightly above their heads. It seems as if you are looking at them and the people in the front and middle don't know that you aren't looking at anyone. It works. :wink:

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 3:37 pm

Congratulations your speech went so well! :D

blessedmom wrote:
I have a small piece of advice I was given about making eye contact when speaking to a group. I was told to focus on the people at the back and look slightly above their heads. It seems as if you are looking at them and the people in the front and middle don't know that you aren't looking at anyone. It works. :wink:

Wow... GOOD advice. I'm sure it works - will use it next time I have to talk in front of a group.