The Doctor Who discussion thread!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 3:26 am

Hi, I thought that since there are so many doctor who fans we should have a big doctor who thread, why don't we have a poll to start things off... what's the best ever episode of doctor who(or two parted episode). I think that the christmas special with sycorax has to be the best!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:20 am

Old series or new series?

Out of the old series, I enjoyed:

An Unearthly Child

The Web Planet

The Chase

The Celestial Toymaker
(I've seen the last episode, and it manages quite a bit of tension, from what I've seen)

The Tenth Planet (what I've seen of it)

Power of the Daleks (Actually, the plot is not unlike Dalek from the new series, and I enjoyed the novel)

Evil of the Daleks (Another missing story, which would have been great had it survived, and one that shows the Doctor's dark side)

Tomb of the Cybermen (CYP scary)

The Ice Warriors (only 2 episodes of this 6-part story do not exist, so this grand epic about global cooling and warriors from Mars can still have sense made of it)

Fury from the Deep (While no episodes exist, I enjoyed listening to the audio tape. Very scary, and with an imaginative resolution)

The Mind Robber (The Doctor meets fictional characters. 'Nuff said)

Spearhead from Space (If you thought the Autons were scary in Rose from the new series, watch this, which is a story of many firsts, including the first colour Doctor Who, and the first with Jon Pertwee, not to mention the first Auton/Nestene Consciousness story)

Inferno (The first Doctor Who set partly in a parallel universe, it also marks one of the few times the Doctor doesn't save the world....of sorts)

Terror of the Autons (The first story with the Master, it is also another, VERY terrifying Auton story, with killer sofas, troll dolls, and daffodils. I kid you not)

The Daemons (An excellent one featuring the Master, where an archaeological dig in a sleepy village threatens the entire world)

The Three Doctors (The first multi-Doctor story, and a deeper look at Time Lord history)

Robot (Tom Baker's first story)

The Ark in Space (Before Alien...was this!)

Genesis of the Daleks (A grim and violent war story, where the Doctor is sent back in time to destroy the Daleks at their genesis. Not only the first story to feature Davros, but also stated in the New Series backstory to be the genesis of the Time War)

Pyramids of Mars

The Planet of Evil

Seeds of Doom

The Deadly Assassin
(The only Doctor Who story where he is without a companion, and one that looks even deeper into Time Lord society)

The Robots of Death (A whodunnit on a miner craft)

The Talons of Weng-Chiang (An excellent Doctor Who set in Victorian times, but a little politically incorrect, especially with a white actor playing a Chinese villain)

Horror of Fang Rock (A whodunnit in a lighthouse)

The City of Death (This witty story, despite what its credits say, was actually cowritten by Douglas Adams, and involves a time-travel plot with implications for the rest of humanity. If you read Dirk Gently, you know what happens....)

Warrior's Gate (This surreal story, the last of the E-Space trilogy, requires perhaps several viewings to understand. It is the last story to feature regularly Romana and K9)

Logopolis (Tom Baker's last story, and one that involves the end of the universe)

Castrovalva (Peter Davison's first story, and one that has him very vulnerable just after regeneration)

Earthshock (Sometimes, victory for the Doctor comes at a high price, at the end of this story featuring revamped Cybermen)

The Five Doctors (A movie-length special about the Doctor, in 4 of his first 5 bodies, being drawn to the Death Zone on Gallifrey, in order to satisfy a traitor's lust for immortality....)

The Caves of Androzani
(The last Peter Davison story, where the Doctor is caught up in a war between government agents, gun smugglers, an evil corporate leader and a deranged genius controlling an android army)

Vengeance on Varos (Reality TV goes mad in this Colin Baker story)

Trial of a Time Lord (This epic 14 part story finds the Doctor on trial for his life, and he has to find out why, as well as how the supposedly impartial Matrix, the Time Lord computer network, can be altered to present him as a villain. The Matrix first appeared in The Deadly Assassin, 1976, over 20 years before the movie of the same name)

Paradise Towers (A bizarre story about an abandoned apartment block in space that is falling into disrepair...)

Dragonfire (The first story to feature Ace, and the last to feature Mel, this story has the Doctor teaming up once more with conman and rogue Sabalom Glitz to find treasure to pay off Glitz' debts to the tyrannical and literally icy Kane)

Remembrance of the Daleks (The Doctor once more shows his darker side, manipulating two factions of Daleks in 1963, who both want a Time Lord artifact, the Hand of Omega)

The Happiness Patrol
(Under the rule of Helen A, sadness and grief are forbidden on Terra Alpha. In one night, the Doctor and Ace may be able to change that)

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (The Doctor and Ace intercept a junk-mail satellite advertising the Psychic Circus, the self-proclaimed "Greatest Show in the Galaxy". While Ace must conquer her fear of clowns, no mean feat when most are robots and the Chief Clown is a sociopath, the Doctor must not only investigate the Psychic Circus, and why so many people who perform in it die, but also out-think pompous explorer Captain Cook, no relation)

The Curse of Fenric (The Doctor and Ace travel to England in 1942, where the Doctor must battle an ancient evil, while Ace must not only fight vampiric creatures from beneath the sea, but also her own past and feelings)

Ghost Light
(A Victorian manor, presided over the mysterious Josiah Smith, is explored by the Doctor and Ace. But Ace finds that the Doctor has transported her to the same house she was frightened by 100 years in the future. While Ace encounters strange creatures, and even stranger humans, the Doctor must team up with a Neanderthal servant and a police officer in order to unravel a web of deception, destruction, and evolution.)

Survival (People are being kidnapped all over Ace's old hometown of Perivale, and the Doctor determines it to be the work of the Cheetah People, a race of intergalactic hunters, whose world is dying, and who infects all who arrive on it with savage mutations. While Ace must overcome her new feral side and save her friends, the Doctor discovers that the Master is involved....and trapped on the planet, succumbing to its influence)

I'll post my favourite New Series ones soon.

On sabbatical...

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:33 am

Just popped in to say that IMO Christopher Eccleston was the best Doctor Who. In case I've not mentioned it before :mrgreen:

I liked the old Dr Who, from when I was a kid, with the shakey scenery and the unconvincing monsters. If you looked closely you could see all kinds of household gadgets were used to make the monsters. One had a sink plunger as a weapon I seem to remember, lol. I still like Dr Who, and the special effects are brilliant, but I prefer the old, amateurish, cobble-it-together-in-the-shed Dr Who. They were fun. :lol:

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 5:13 am

My favourite new series episodes are:

Rose

The End of the World

Aliens of London/World War Three

Dalek

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

The Christmas Invasion

New Earth

School Reunion

The Girl in the Fireplace

The Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

All of Season 3. They had really good stuff.

On sabbatical...

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 6:33 am

Blink.

Is about as near as I can say to a best episode (single on its own story).

I just love Doctor Who, every doctor, every story, every episode.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 7:05 am

FINGERS ON LIPS!

Brilliant line from David Tennant in Fear Her!

And also...

IDENTIFY YOURSELVES...

NO, YOU IDENTIFY FIRST...

DALEK'S DO NOT TAKE ORDERS

YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED YOURSELVES AS DALEK'S

JUDGING BY THE INFERIOR CAPABILITY OF YOUR SPECIES YOU MUST BE THE CYBERMEN.

YOU HAVE ONE WEAKNESS

WHAT?

YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!

Doomsday was a brilliant meeting of the Daleks and Cybermen.

Let's hope Season 4 of the new series is good.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Nov 2007, 8:27 am

my favourite are:
girl in the fireplace (maybe something to do with combining doctor who with a horse 2 obsessions into one...)
blink
the last 3 of series (utopia, the sound of drums, the last of the time lords)
the shakespeare code (again the references to harry potter was combining 2 obssesions into one)
Army of ghosts & doomsday
the empty child & the doctor dances
well actually i like them all!

"IF YOU ARE AN ALIEN HOW COME IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE FROM THE NORTH?"
"LOTS OF PLANETS HAVE A NORTH"

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 6:02 am

It was so funny when to stop the witches they had to say Expelliarmus. Classic, even though it's the new series.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2007, 1:30 pm

after reading the new harry potter book i was trying to guess which bit made the doctor cry as he tells martha that he cried when reading it in the shakespeare code episode

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 3:38 pm

Sally wrote:
after reading the new harry potter book i was trying to guess which bit made the doctor cry as he tells martha that he cried when reading it in the shakespeare code episode

yeah! which bit did make him cry?... anybody know what happened to Davros because I've only been watching since the 9th Series, Davros is this guy :arrow: Image

Last edited by gismo on 16 Nov 2007, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 5:30 pm

Sally wrote:

Pick one.

On sabbatical...

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2007, 12:04 pm

Aliens Of London/World War Three
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The Christmas Invasion
Tooth And Claw (loved the lighting in that ep)
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Smith & Jones
Blink

But I love all of them.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see the new series here...

Hey_You
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2007, 1:40 pm

I really don't know a Doctor Who episode I didn't like. There are some I liked less than others, but they are all pretty brilliant. I think Blink is the scariest of the new episodes. That one really was just terrifying the way they filmed it. It was a perfect episode where everything just jelled. I also I like the Shakespeare Code as well. That one was just fun. The Harry Potter references were just brilliant. "Good ol' JK!" haha. I barely remember the old episodes. Of the old ones, the one I remember is where the doctor goes into a place that looks like a bee hive and there are sleeping cybermen I want to say. I was real little when they showed that in re-runs and it freaked me. :P

Some good links on YouTube:
This makes me laugh every time I see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-lJpL2oVg#
I laugh so hard at this I need to watch it several times to be able to catch it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgeK4KGjFg#

Brilliant Dr. Who links. :D Enjoy.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:00 pm

Hey_You wrote:
I really don't know a Doctor Who episode I didn't like. There are some I liked less than others, but they are all pretty brilliant. I think Blink is the scariest of the new episodes. That one really was just terrifying the way they filmed it. It was a perfect episode where everything just jelled. I also I like the Shakespeare Code as well. That one was just fun. The Harry Potter references were just brilliant. "Good ol' JK!" haha. I barely remember the old episodes. Of the old ones, the one I remember is where the doctor goes into a place that looks like a bee hive and there are sleeping cybermen I want to say. I was real little when they showed that in re-runs and it freaked me. :P

Some good links on YouTube:
This makes me laugh every time I see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-lJpL2oVg#
I laugh so hard at this I need to watch it several times to be able to catch it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgeK4KGjFg#

Brilliant Dr. Who links. :D Enjoy.

Is currently laughing his head off at the u tube video(the first one)