Are there any office chairs that aren't junk?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:26 am

It seems like every office/computer chair I buy is complete garbage. The pistons where out in a manner of 3 months. I only weight about 205 pounds. I can't lower the chair to the bottom and use it, because I have arthritis in my si joint and it'll hurt my back. I have to do a lot of work on the computer for college, so I need a chair that'll hold up. Any suggestions? I need the chair to have arms as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:54 am

I would look around and get chairs actually designed for offices, not for homes.

I weigh 190 lbs, and I find that most of the new office chairs, with flexible backs, are decent.

Get that plastic thing if your surface is wooden floor. If it's carpet, then you don't need it.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 8:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would look around and get chairs actually designed for offices, not for homes.

I weigh 190 lbs, and I find that most of the new office chairs, with flexible backs, are decent.

Get that plastic thing if your surface is wooden floor. If it's carpet, then you don't need it.

Any website, or store suggestions? I've been to the office depot site, but everything has mixed reviews. I bought my current chair at office depot.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Any website, or store suggestions? I've been to the office depot site, but everything has mixed reviews. I bought my current chair at office depot.

You seem to be looking for lasting quality so unless it's a model that's been in production for several years it won't matter what the user reviews say. Just go to Office Depot or Staples and try them out and go with what fits you and you can afford.
Remember; we live in a disposable society.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 2:22 pm

I tend to break junk chairs when I sit down on them. Maybe their purpose is to remind the user to lose weight :idea:

Hm, they could use them in actual offices and fire employees who break them. This would motivate quite a few people, such as myself, to lose weight real quick :oops:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 2:59 pm

I found a German made chair piston on amazon. The weight capacity is 350 pound(159kg). Only 8 reviews, but all good ones. The piston is expensive at $80, but all the other pistons have bad reviews. Since the piston is German made and not Chinese made, I have a lot more faith in it. German engineers are known for making high quality products. It also has a 5 year warranty. I'll just keep using the piston with each new chair I buy. I'm sure it'll work better than the piston that comes with any chair I purchase, at least any chair under $600.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:29 pm

Don't know if IKEA have the same stock in America (probably?). They sell a 200 gbp office chair that is excellent, lots of adjuster knobs and rising backplates inside and all sorts of adjustable stuff.

At my IKEA there is a reduced section for stuff that's shop soiled, I got one for 100 gbp (about 150 dollars). This sounds a lot, but I spend a lot of time sat in it, and it will out live me.

Found it, it's called VOLMAR http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80292924/

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:39 pm

Herman Miller is having a 15% off sale for another week--comes with free shipping to your door.

They aren't so pricey considering how long they typically last. I can sit in mine all weekend and not get sore. If you are small there aren't many options when it comes to quality chairs--this particular one comes in three sizes.

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Aeron-Chair

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:25 am

This is my office chair, it's very sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NR ... ge_o06_s00