Page 6716 of 7495 [ 119915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6713, 6714, 6715, 6716, 6717, 6718, 6719 ... 7495  Next

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 12:57 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:
I hate it SO f*****g much when people treat me like a genius just because i finished a prestigious uni. Do you expect a person with down syndrome to be a lawyer? No. Sometimes i so wish to have a permanent mark on my head that shows im disabled.

I dealt with the same biases about invisible disabilities, because of my education and my career. It was actually comforting to have a stroke and push a walker around for a year. People recognised THAT as a disability, but never my autism. :(

Maybe in a perfect world we will all get to wear shirts that state our difficulties and disabilities and how much progress we have made and all of the struggles we have overcome and what things we need right now to help us. People will look at us and just automatically get it and we won't have to explain every time and hope that they understand. That would be nice.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 1:31 am

Zinnia86 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:
I hate it SO f*****g much when people treat me like a genius just because i finished a prestigious uni. Do you expect a person with down syndrome to be a lawyer? No. Sometimes i so wish to have a permanent mark on my head that shows im disabled.

I dealt with the same biases about invisible disabilities, because of my education and my career. It was actually comforting to have a stroke and push a walker around for a year. People recognised THAT as a disability, but never my autism. :(

Maybe in a perfect world we will all get to wear shirts that state our difficulties and disabilities and how much progress we have made and all of the struggles we have overcome and what things we need right now to help us. People will look at us and just automatically get it and we won't have to explain every time and hope that they understand. That would be nice.

It was even more fun when I broke my foot and had a cast while also using the walker for my stroke! Validation! lol
Let me know when you find that perfect world, Zinnia. :(

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 1:36 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Zinnia86 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:

It was even more fun when I broke my foot and had a cast while also using the walker for my stroke! Validation! lol
Let me know when you find that perfect world, Zinnia. :(

Right it would be nice. I guess what I'm trying to say is that having a visible disability is often frustrating for me because it's all out there for people to see and they still don't understand what I want or need. Telepathy would be nice too, if we're talking ideal worlds here. Oh life...

traven
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 2:24 am

same rotten planet still

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 2:31 am

i really want to test-drive a 2016-2018 VW Passat. soon.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 3:26 am

Tired
Angry/Sad
Time for bed
Goodnight all

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 4:51 am

^^^nighty nighty :flower:

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:36 am

I am going to the library today.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:46 am

Currently at the library making ever more applications to various occupational roles care of LinkedIn..

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

Do you ever have those people in class that get called on to answer something and they miss so badly that you're just sitting there like, "What the hell are you even saying??"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 10:28 am

That's happened when I've been in classes.

Hopefully, someone would gently correct the person without embarrassing him or her.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 10:33 am

I remember that happening in French Lit classes. Between butchering French and trying to sound pretentious, some people talked out of their butts.

same q

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 10:46 am

Just being human again, as long as Mr. protocol breaker sitting next to me at the computer workstation will turn down the volume on his smartphone, this is a library for crying out loud

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 2:39 pm

`_` All that self-pressure I used to put on myself to do well at school to avoid 'white ppl' maximally..

I hate internet culture. Sometimes.

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 3:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I remember that happening in French Lit classes. Between butchering French and trying to sound pretentious, some people talked out of their butts.

same q

Jeez, talk about putting the try in try hard! Were they even aware that they'd made a fool of themselves?

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 3:10 pm

Bored :wall: