Page 7540 of 7554 [ 120861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7537, 7538, 7539, 7540, 7541, 7542, 7543 ... 7554  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 1:32 am

I don't believe in life after death but I have a notion that I'm fond of that we might experience our lifetime as an infinite loop. The last thing we see is supposed to be a bright light and that's also the first thing we see. I wonder if we remember our past life at the point of birth and that's why we start screaming as we become aware of what's happening and realise we're going to have to do it all again. Then the past life fades, the way we forget dreams and we're just us as babies again. It's a fanciful idea, but one I like.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 1:43 am

You should watch Midnight Mass there are some absolutely beautiful descriptions of what happens to the brain at the point of death

It is best to watch it after a smoke mind you

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 2:14 am

body symmetry starts at the palateuvula
put the teeth in line as should be
stable focused eyes/ eye movements to control anxieties and intrusive thoughts

vague references of this (theory of mine, maybe others?) oh the words

Abstract -Increasing evidence suggests that mental health and physical health are linked by neural systems that jointly regulate somatic physiology and high-level cognition. Key systems include the ventromedial prefrontal cortex and the related default-mode network. These systems help to construct models of the ‘self-in-context’, compressing information across time and sensory modalities into conceptions of the underlying causes of experience. Self-in-context models endow events with personal meaning and allow predictive control over behaviour and peripheral physiology, including autonomic, neuroendocrine and immune function. They guide learning from experience and the formation of narratives about the self and one’s world. Disorders of mental and physical health, especially those with high co-occurrence and convergent alterations in the functionality of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex and the default-mode network, could benefit from interventions focused on understanding and shaping mindsets and beliefs about the self, illness and treatment.https://www.nature.com/articles/s41583-021-00446-8

Abstract -It has long been established in traditional forms of medicine and in anecdotal knowledge that the health of the body and the mind are inextricably linked. Strong and continually developing evidence now suggests a link between disorders which involve Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal axis (HPA) dysregulation and the risk of developing psychiatric disease. For instance, adverse or excessive responses to stressful experiences are built into the diagnostic criteria for several psychiatric disorders, including depression and anxiety disorders. Interestingly, peripheral disorders such as metabolic disorders and cardiovascular diseases are also associated with HPA changes. Furthermore, many other systemic disorders associated with a higher incidence of psychiatric disease involve a significant inflammatory component. In fact, inflammatory and endocrine pathways seem to interact in both the periphery and the central nervous system (CNS) to potentiate states of psychiatric dysfunction. This review synthesizes clinical and animal data looking at interactions between peripheral and central factors, developing an understanding at the molecular and cellular level of how processes in the entire body can impact on mental state and psychiatric health.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3866391/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothala ... renal_axis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_gland

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 3:06 am

babybird wrote:
You should watch Midnight Mass there are some absolutely beautiful descriptions of what happens to the brain at the point of death

It is best to watch it after a smoke mind you

Never heard of it. Where can i see it?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 3:22 am

Netflix

It's only one short series

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2024, 5:57 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Thoughts originate in the brain. The brain, like the rest of our body, decomposes after we die.
Who is viewing those thoughts? Who sorts through them, assigning meaning or relevance?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:15 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Nobody knows what happens after a person dies. It might not be a universal rule for each person dying, different things may happen to different people when they die, who have lived in our reality, for all anyone knows.

Or nothing might happen at all, as many people believe - i.e, you die/you cease to exist, just like before you were born you wouldn't have any memories from before then.

When you die the lights go out and you cease to exist

I f*****g love that thought me

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:19 am

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Nobody knows what happens after a person dies. It might not be a universal rule for each person dying, different things may happen to different people when they die, who have lived in our reality, for all anyone knows.

Or nothing might happen at all, as many people believe - i.e, you die/you cease to exist, just like before you were born you wouldn't have any memories from before then.

It scares the living s**t out of me. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:38 am

Really?

It's one of my favourite thoughts to think

I like the fact that I struggle to imagine it

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:43 am

Like in the same way as I struggle to imagine that there was nothing before the universe

It blows my mind away man

ElmersTrueLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2024, 7:51 am

I

I want to leave

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

ElmersTrueLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2024, 7:51 am

Nobody believes my love for my true love...

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:52 am

babybird wrote:
I like the fact that I struggle to imagine it

I don't think the human brain is capable of imagining it's own non-existence, except in a very abstact way. It's a paradox really. You're asking your brain to imagine not being alive which it tries to do from it's own point of view, but if it has a point of view then it must still exist in some way. That's when your brain starts coming up with ways that it can still exist after death. I think that's why we have the concept of heaven, reincarnation, ghosts etc. It's all just ways that the brain can process the idea of its own death by not actually being dead.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 7:57 am

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I suppose it might be a bit like going to sleep... but permanently and without any dreaming going on.

I would hope that there is some greater meaning in the grand scheme of things than simply living to die within a human understanding/brain perspective, but I suppose things will work themselves out.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 8:11 am

Cornflake wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Thoughts originate in the brain. The brain, like the rest of our body, decomposes after we die.
Who is viewing those thoughts? Who sorts through them, assigning meaning or relevance?

I think the brain is capable of all those things. Of course, if we share our thoughts with someone else, it can help with assigning meaning and relevance sometimes. It seems like when we understand an experience we are more likely to ascribe meaning to it. I support it’s related to forming neural connections.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 8:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
babybird wrote:
Do you like graveyards

At Brookwood there is so much history though….

Most of the London dead from the Victorian era are buried there because of the city’s overcrowding. The nickname for it is the London necropolis

It’s 25 miles outside of London

Diana’s partner Dodi Al Fayed was briefly buried there in 1997 then moved to his fathers estate so loads of other famous graves there

interesting.