Page 6715 of 7510 [ 120160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6712, 6713, 6714, 6715, 6716, 6717, 6718 ... 7510  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 8:29 pm

I hope everything goes well with you at your appointment, Blazing.

I hope you shall be inspired to play the banjo after the appointment.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 8:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope everything goes well with you at your appointment, Blazing.

I hope you shall be inspired to play the banjo after the appointment.

Thanks. I so appreciate your kindness and support. Like Magna said above, I appreciate WP friends so much.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 2:23 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:
sidetrack wrote:
I went to go see Alita: Battle Angel earlier today and I cried at the end. I was not expecting this movie to have a lot of emotional kick to it, but it was definitely worth seeing.

I will also admit that I am glad I did not ask my mom to come with me to the theater that I went to see it because she would have gotten pissed if she saw me crying.

I am both intrigued and grateful for the second sentence you typed.
___

Chapters 7 and 8 of 'Surfaces and Essences: Analogy as the fuel and fire of thinking' by Douglas R. Hofstadter and Emmanuel Sander

Ditto. Why would she be mad you cried?

Gender stereotyping. My mom believes all males (including those on the spectrum) must behave in certain ways in order to move forward in life which makes this one reason why I hate it when my overtly masculine uncle visits. He is an absolute d-bag.

Dangle her out the window by her ankles and scream in her face 'how do you like me now, is this masculine enough for you', that should fix her little red wagon.

Some people are in touch with their inner white knight; some people are in touch with their inner black knight.
I'm advising you to get in touch with your inner Suge Knight. :evil:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 4:29 am

I went to use the idiom "no room to swing a cat" today (in reference to a property I inspected on Saturday), but decided to check what it meant first...

And, oh.... it's not a literal phrase.

All these years and I thought people were swinging poor kitties around by their tails 8O

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 6:39 am

i wish, oh how i wish, some movie producer would FINISH the daggone remake of "the martian chronicles."

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 10:03 am

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
longshot wrote:
I love at how some movies will start production then cease production, then start up again

Me too. I think Hollywood is really interesting. It is one of my interests.

Ditto. I hope that one of my scripts will be optioned by a studio and get made into a movie.

That would be cool.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 10:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
i wish, oh how i wish, some movie producer would FINISH the daggone remake of "the martian chronicles."

I loved that story and to a certain degree the mini series as well..

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:11 am

blue_bean wrote:
I went to use the idiom "no room to swing a cat" today (in reference to a property I inspected on Saturday), but decided to check what it meant first...

And, oh.... it's not a literal phrase.

All these years and I thought people were swinging poor kitties around by their tails 8O

The phrase was around before the term 'cat o' nine tails' was around to refer to that style of scourge, which suggests it likely is referring to the small animal and not to the whip. Myao.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:32 am

I hate it SO f*****g much when people treat me like a genius just because i finished a prestigious uni. Do you expect a person with down syndrome to be a lawyer? No. Sometimes i so wish to have a permanent mark on my head that shows im disabled.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Is it not possible to be a disabled genius? You must be exceptionally bright and academic.
What's upsetting you? Do people expect too much in areas that you are less competent and not give you the support you need?
That could be frustrating.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:53 am

There happen to be many geniuses who are "disabled" in certain facets.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:10 pm

AprilR wrote:
I hate it SO f*****g much when people treat me like a genius just because i finished a prestigious uni. Do you expect a person with down syndrome to be a lawyer? No. Sometimes i so wish to have a permanent mark on my head that shows im disabled.

Well, one of the firsts I noticed is the first ever practicing lawyer/attorney for the state of Florida whom happens to be autistic. Deep down inside of others actually considered autistic being able to do way much more than just computer there would be greater doors of occupational opportunities opening.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:23 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Is it not possible to be a disabled genius? You must be exceptionally bright and academic.
What's upsetting you? Do people expect too much in areas that you are less competent and not give you the support you need?
That could be frustrating.

That's exactly it but support like that doesn't exist in my country im afraid. I'm expected to multitask, have a brilliant short term memory and know certain things without being told. He always asks whether i am always so absent minded. I am kind of sad on his behalf since i have anxiety, adhd and god knows what else.

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:24 pm

AprilR wrote:

Speaking as someone who has a visible physical disability, I can tell you it's not all that great. People still have weird and unrealistic expectations of you, they are just different. Some will think that you're some kind of hero just for existing, and then are shocked when you don't act like a hero. Others will think that you're a waste of space just for existing, and look at you like you're garbage if you get in their way. As with anything else, it's not really enough for people just to know, you still have to explain it so that they will understand.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:42 pm

AprilR wrote:

I dealt with the same biases about invisible disabilities, because of my education and my career. It was actually comforting to have a stroke and push a walker around for a year. People recognised THAT as a disability, but never my autism. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 12:01 am

longshot wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I loved that story and to a certain degree the mini series as well..

i have the miniseries on DVD. it is the best that can be short of a remake. the "Genevieve Selzer" sequence was very badly done, however. i usually skim forwards quickly through that part until just before its conclusion.