Page 6757 of 7495 [ 119912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6754, 6755, 6756, 6757, 6758, 6759, 6760 ... 7495  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 12:13 pm

I heard it said that when you sneeze it comes out of your nose at 700mph. Who measured that one? How did they measure it, and more importantly why?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 12:38 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I heard it said that when you sneeze it comes out of your nose at 700mph. Who measured that one? How did they measure it, and more importantly why?

Who: Julian W. Tang , Andre D. Nicolle, Christian A. Klettner, Jovan Pantelic, Liangde Wang, Amin Bin Suhaimi, Ashlynn Y. L. Tan, Garrett W. X. Ong, Ruikun Su, Chandra Sekhar, David D. W. Cheong, Kwok Wai Tham <LINK>

How: An instrument called a "shadowgraph" that detects the warmth of breathed out air.

Why: To work out how diseases are spread by germs and viruses carried in people's sneezes.

Conclusion: It depends where you measure it, but once it's left your nose, a sneeze only goes about 10mph (but a bit faster inside your nostrils.) If they averaged 700mph, then every once in a while you might get a supersonic boom inside your sinuses, which would sound like a whip cracking (and would probably hurt rather a lot!)

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 1:22 pm

should be living in same area as family no relatives nearby except for an hours drive away
when my brother comes to visit or I go there, I realize that its crazy to be a single mom in a town and region where u know NOBODY N didn't grow up there either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 2:56 pm

For now, I'm feeling weird. Partially tired, partially sore, practically scrambled all over.

And my thoughts think -- I see no point.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:35 am

I had chills this morning. It's a good thing I am not going anywhere today. It is Victoria Day here in Canada.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:38 am

The battle is in the middle. Very crafty.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:25 am

cecil,

Hope you feel better soon! Thinking of you on Victoria Day. Our Memorial Day is next Monday.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 11:39 am

I wonder...

If I were daring enough, or maybe crazy enough -- one day, I might go to the Love and Dating section, declare myself available and maybe end up dating one of the sad ones here... :| And see what I could do? Give the guy a chance?
Of course not out of pity, and no foul play would be intended. I'll be very fair of course; first come first serve since I got little to no preferences myself.

And it won't be some test or experiment -- well, maybe, since I'm not the romantic type of person who's into relationship and I'm very much inexperienced in the field.
Of course I'm not going to trash whoever tries to approach me on a first impression. I'd be as patient as any person would be though, while I try not to be intimidating.. :twisted: Last but not the least, I'd be as honest and as sincere. I won't feign affection or concern -- I'd be interested if I'm interested getting to know this person.

But not now of course. This is just a thought that had crossed my mind.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 12:41 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I wonder...

If I were daring enough, or maybe crazy enough -- one day, I might go to the Love and Dating section, declare myself available and maybe end up dating one of the sad ones here... :| And see what I could do? Give the guy a chance?
Of course not out of pity, and no foul play would be intended. I'll be very fair of course; first come first serve since I got little to no preferences myself.

And it won't be some test or experiment -- well, maybe, since I'm not the romantic type of person who's into relationship and I'm very much inexperienced in the field.
Of course I'm not going to trash whoever tries to approach me on a first impression. I'd be as patient as any person would be though, while I try not to be intimidating.. :twisted: Last but not the least, I'd be as honest and as sincere. I won't feign affection or concern -- I'd be interested if I'm interested getting to know this person.

But not now of course. This is just a thought that had crossed my mind.

I'm not sure you'll even need to head into L&D, you might get swarmed before you even make it through the door now that you've announced potential, theoretical availability. :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 12:52 pm

People who say money can't bring you happiness are soooo annoying.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 1:09 pm

I have tried it. It does not work. Tried no money too. Is not good either. Somewhere in the middlw is best where you have enough money to nip out to buy food but not too much that it is constantly on your mind. I found the few times in my life where I have had a couple of thousand pounds is stressful as I was harassed by certain people who had gone into debt buying things they didn't need and even I couldn't afford to get, and as soon as I gave them money they would buy more... Not pay their debts off like a normal person would... And then they would come begging for more.
So to have enough for food, and somewhere to live, and the occasional luxury like an item or two of clothing every year and a pair of shoes once a year.... And enouhh to spend to keep one happy with ones hobby and things like that... Keeping a car on the road if one needs it due to where one lives... Then one is doing well. :) The rest is a bonus.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 2:19 pm

but first just let me shoot up like i'm Adam Lanza;
until I exhale morphine and spit dope stanzas

:nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 3:59 pm

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 1:56 pm

IstominFan wrote:
cecil,

Hope you feel better soon! Thinking of you on Victoria Day. Our Memorial Day is next Monday.

Thank you.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 2:02 pm

That ‘dressing for impressing’ outlook makes the ‘pragmatics: aesthetics v. utilitarian’ self-debate in choosing clothes, when being bundled up is more likely a thing year-round in a consistently cold region of the world.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 2:10 pm

On one of the fora, can't remember which, and it may have been taken down by now, was a spam post recommending bespoke suits. Odd, yes. But...

BEFORE I DIE, I want to own a bespoke grey flannel suit, perfectly tailored in every respect.