What do your pets think of human technology?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:13 am

Aside from value judgments of technology being good or bad, what do your household animals think of the technology that you have that you can tell?

My birds all seem to like the television. Often when we play a movie will all three birds get as close as they can and all be watching. Caso usually will whimper when there's violence though. They also used to sing along when I played Bach or Handel on the stereo, but they haven't done that lately. Pavi is afraid of lasers and flashlights, but the other two aren't. They all hate scissors, they know that means they can't fly for a while. Any type of lens really freaks them out. They liked the noises that were made when I was experimenting with the 555 chip. They love to sit on my arms and shoulders when I'm typing. Basically they're used to technology here with few exceptions.

So what do your animals think of your technology?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:31 am

I kid you not, my cat will get up here and watch animal videos off youtube. If there's a cat meowing, he'll meow back at the cat. Somethimes he'll just sit on this keyboard and watch intently. My other cat doesn't care. He'd prefer going outside even though I can't let him out.

five_squared
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2008, 10:59 am

My sister's dog (a Bichon Frisé) was terrified of my radio-controlled car. And my guinea pig always started whistling when he heard the potato-peeler, since it usually ment that we were about to give him carrots (which he loved) :P

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:02 am

My pets wouldn't be able to survive in captivity without human technology (Snakes - they need artificial heat sources), but they are not responsive in the way that mammals and birds are, so it is difficult to judge what they think of human technology. They are deaf, so they can't hear music and they are never allowed to go very close to the screen of the television or computer. They sometimes seen interested in/threatened by the camera when I take photographs, but they usually ignore it.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:10 am

Usually my animals ignore it, unless its the vacuum cleaner, which they attack, or the sprinklers, which they attack.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 1:06 pm

My animals fear the vacuum. Other than that they seem to like technology.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 1:13 pm

five_squared wrote:
And my guinea pig always started whistling when he heard the potato-peeler, since it usually ment that we were about to give him carrots (which he loved) :P

Mine would do that whenever they heard a plastic bag (we would bring their cabbage leaves in plastic shopping bags.)

My dog doesn't seem to notice technology or doesn't care. She seems oblivious to everyday stuff. She's too preoccupied with her toy to bother.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

Our Lovebirds get excited whenever we handle a plastic bag. That's because their favorite treats come in a plastic bag. The male likes to watch TV with us, but I suspect it's because The Missus cuddles him while we watch.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 2:36 pm

I used to watch Doogie Howser DVDs with my parrot Chloe while holding her, and I think she paid attention. I also showed her the African Grey parrot which was briefly shown on "Mozart and the Whale."

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 3:48 pm

My moms cat Stormy likes to slap the tv screen when there is motion and she likes to keep her feet warm on the cable box.

George reacts to technology the same way he reacts to everything else:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 4:09 pm

I had to do this. I hope you like it:

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 4:32 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I had to do this. I hope you like it:

Indeed I do! I thought of putting something like that on it myself, as that pretty much sums up what I think the face he is making conveys. I would have put simply: "I am not amused".

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

My cats like to walk on the computer.

Samantha used to love music. I think she could have operated my CD player if I had taught her to do it.

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm

Both my dog and cat are frightened of the vacuum cleaner, but the dog also has phobias of ceiling fans and flashlights. The cat enjoys watching hockey on the television.

The fish have no opinion on anything techie whatsoever, unless I just can't hear what they have to say....

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 2:04 pm

Hedgehog wrote:
The fish have no opinion on anything techie whatsoever, unless I just can't hear what they have to say....

Duh. Fish have micro-brains. They are dumber than chickens and slightly more intelligent than waxed beans. Fish, unlike fowl, tend to lie still once they've had their heads chopped off. :P

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 2:05 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Hedgehog wrote:

Duh. Fish have micro-brains. They are dumber than chickens and slightly more intelligent than waxed beans. Fish, unlike fowl, tend to lie still once they've had their heads chopped off. :P

Does this mean you've seen a headless fowl?