Yes 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
I don't care 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 25

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

Sometimes, when checking the threads where I posted, I unexpectedly find a post where someone quoted something that I said some posts ago. Maybe you'll think this is silly but this makes me happy. I like being quoted.

In general, I assume that the people that posted after me, read my post. Because that's what I try always to do: read all the posts before mine (some threads are just too long to do this, but at least I read all the posts in the last 3 or 4 pages). But still there's the possibility that maybe they ignored my post, or maybe they didn't like it. Of course, I don't expect to be quoted at every post, that would be stupid, but one quoted post every certain number of posts gives me a good feeling inside.

So what do you think? Do you like being quoted?

P.S: Oh, and I want to say that when I find a post that I like or because of any other excuse, I quote it so maybe I can make other people feel the same way.

of an infinite world.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:06 pm

Thor wrote:
So what do you think? Do you like being quoted?

Sure. Quoting is a form of imitation, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:21 pm

With the amount of debating I do, not always do I like it. If it's a friendly conversation though, then I don't mind being quoted.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:28 pm

just same to me

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:44 pm

Yes. It makes you feel accepted. 8)

Those who know, don't speak.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:56 pm

In the immortal words of Cary Grant:"I improve upon being mis-quoted."

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

I hate it when people quote you and pull what you said apart or be mean about it. It seems more of a personal attack when they quote and argue, than when they just argue in a reply.

Its ok if people quote in a complementory way though :D

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2008, 2:11 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
With the amount of debating I do, not always do I like it. If it's a friendly conversation though, then I don't mind being quoted.

lotusblossom wrote:
I hate it when people quote you and pull what you said apart or be mean about it. It seems more of a personal attack when they quote and argue, than when they just argue in a reply.

iamnotaparakeet and lotusblossom have good points but, even in an argument or a debate, I personally prefer being quoted and that, whatever I said that someone disagrees with, is pointed out to me. If I post in a possibly controversial thread is because I am ready for the fight. I think that the (possibly false) feeling of being ignored is stronger than the fear of being attacked.

Of course, if I am being quoted and a compliment follows, I like it even more. :D

of an infinite world.

five_squared
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 2:15 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
Yes. It makes you feel accepted. 8)

Yep :D

tomadao
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 3:51 pm

This makes me a little uncomfortable but, somehow I like it, and sometimes I quote myself.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:51 pm

I like being quoted, it lets me know whether people agree or disagree with what I said.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:55 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
I like being quoted, it lets me know whether people agree or disagree with what I said.

I quote thee...THUSLY.

I like saying thusly 8)

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:59 pm

lotusblossom wrote:

Its ok if people quote in a complementory way though :D

QFT.
That's my split/mixed feeling about it-depends on outcome/use of "my words".
If it's in accordance with how I meant what I said, that's good-perhaps I've clarified or validated something for someone else (as has been done for me here & returning the favor). If my words have been (in my opinion) taken all wrong, twisted, distorted, misinterpreted (by intention or accident) then I'm upset & hate the added exposure/vulnerability/disapproval.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm

I like being quoted because it indicates that what I wrote was interesting to someone. If they express disagreement, it is still an exchange of thoughts. As long as people are respectful enough to refrain from personal insults, I enjoy debates and differences of opinion.

I exercise some caution with quoting other people, though. I often wonder, "Does this person like to be quoted or do they dislike it?" because this is an ASD site and therefore it is not much of a stretch to imagine that some people here might not like the direct attention of being quoted.

I go back and forth on the question of whether or not to it is OK to quote someone and disagree with something they said. I know that some people perceive all differences of opinion as personal attacks.

So I try to limit these quote->debate posts to forums and/or threads in which it seems to be more acceptable, and I try to be nice about it by pointing out what I do agree with, or asking questions to indicate that I'm genuinely interested in understanding their point of view as opposed to trying to make them agree with me. When I disagree with someone, I'm not trying to change their mind; I'm just trying to discuss the issue in greater depth and learn about other ways of looking at it.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:37 pm

Yes, lets me know someone is listening to me. If only I could be quoted more.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 11:51 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I like being quoted because it indicates that what I wrote was interesting to someone. If they express disagreement, it is still an exchange of thoughts. As long as people are respectful enough to refrain from personal insults, I enjoy debates and differences of opinion.

I exercise some caution with quoting other people, though. I often wonder, "Does this person like to be quoted or do they dislike it?" because this is an ASD site and therefore it is not much of a stretch to imagine that some people here might not like the direct attention of being quoted.

I go back and forth on the question of whether or not to it is OK to quote someone and disagree with something they said. I know that some people perceive all differences of opinion as personal attacks.

Well said. Sometimes I can't express my thoughts in the right words while writing and it's annoying because I have so much to say. But on the occasions when I can actually express myself as I want to, it's good to know that those words were noticed by someone else. Even if that person disagrees with me, it's still communication and this is good. And quotes are the only way to know that. But, as you say, not everybody perceives being quoted the same way and this is why I was curious to know how other people feel about being quoted.

of an infinite world.