Were there any scandals in your families?

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 2:58 pm

Was there ever any scandal in your family? You know - a criminal in your family or someone who doesn't follow patterns of morality accepted in your family (underage pregnancy or somebody who abandoned his/her spouse, something like that). Personally, I recall only one such a story (and even this took place before I was born). I wrote this once so I copy this:

My aunt's mather-in-law strangled (according to some relatives, on purpose) aunt's newborn baby. I have no idea if she did it deliberately, it looked this way that my aunt had given birth to twins and when they were coming home from the hospital, aunt was holding her daughter and her mother-in-law was holding the baby boy. I don't know how the truth looked like but she was said to squeeze him too much and the baby passed away. My grandma always claimed that woman didn't want her son had twins because it would be much more expensive than having only one child. She wasn't accused of anything, didn't go to prison or wasn't punished in another way, aunt didn't have a grudge against her claiming that her son died of natural causes because he was very weak but I don't know all the truth.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 3:21 pm

I used to be an alcoholic/herion addict, and spent a year in prison. Does that count?

Those who know, don't speak.

Noelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2008, 4:04 pm

Rumor has it that my grandma made money by being a prostitute. Each of her sons has a separate dad. This was back in the late 1920's, early 1930's, around the time of the Great Depression.

My great uncle moved out of America to France, and he married his daughter, so she would get his millions, and they had a daughter.

I have a cousin that stole cars, I have an uncle that died of liver failure from alcoholism, and an aunt that was an attic-case, she had a mental illness. Could be more, and I just don't know.

ivetastedflight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2008, 10:16 pm

My paternal great-grandfather was a murderer. He killed several people, only 3 or which were found. No one knows the real number. My father witnessed one of those murders. He was not a serial killer, or a spree killer - he was a vigilante-esque killer - all his victims were suspected pedophiles/rapists. He was never caught before he died.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 10:47 pm

Irulan wrote:
Was there ever any scandal in your family? You know - a criminal in your family or someone who doesn't follow patterns of morality accepted in your family (underage pregnancy or somebody who abandoned his/her spouse, something like that). Personally, I recall only one such a story (and even this took place before I was born).

No "criminals", to my knowledge. Before I was born, and apparently afterwards as well, my mother had involvement with her father-in-law (and my father knew about it, before my parents got divorced). This was a huge "scandal" in my family, it was hidden from me (not like I would've cared)-and the mere fact of covering it up is (in my opinion) most of what made it such a big deal. The big secret, y'know ?
Rather anticlimactic when I finally found out (my mother's sister told me when I was 19 or 20)-like "oh, that's all ?"-I was expecting something really bad. What do I care, whether my mom was hooking up with my father-or his father ? But both my parents' families had lots of religious hangups, strict notions of morality, so this was a major no-no. It wasn't incest, was an in-law, so what of it ?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm

My dad's dad abandoned my dad's mom and him. My dad abandoned his first wife and son.

My cousins uncle killed a man he caught vandalizing his property, ditched the body, and has yet to be suspected or charged(Over ten years ago).

My uncle R blackmailed my grandparents into quitclaim deeding the farm over to him, threatened to put them into a home if they didn't. The property was supposed to be evenly split and kept in the family. He says he'll be fair about splitting it up, but legally he can cheat them out of it. And they're going to sell it, then split the money, not keep the land as my grandpa willed it and as most of us grandchildren wish it.

We believe our stepmother had a hand in dad's death. Her previous husband died under mysterious circumstances, and so did our dad. She was also abusively negligent of her pets. She had several perfectly fine animals put down because they were no longer cute puppies and she didn't like the way they reacted to her.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Mar 2008, 12:18 am

My maternal great-great-great-great grandmother out-lived all 4 of her husbands. Rumor has it, that they were all very rich [whatever was considered "rich" in those days] and she killed them for money.

Thats the only "scandal" in my family that i know of.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2008, 3:58 am

Pffft. The biggest scandal in our family is that my aunt got expelled from the boarding school where mum was head boarder. XD

Mind you, I'm sure my sister and I will add plenty later on in life. :D

Scribbler
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2008, 9:59 am

In my family it's probably me.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 12:28 pm

I think my dad may have grown and sold and/or smoked Marijuana, but I don't really know. It's not something that you just casually ask.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 12:34 pm

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
I think my dad may have grown and sold and/or smoked Marijuana, but I don't really know. It's not something that you just casually ask.

Why not? Not that big a deal. I ask my dad all the time. He seemed to like LSD and coke much more than bud though.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 12:53 pm

My immediate family members are all pretty much normal. It's my uncles who always get in trouble.

One of my uncles (on my dad's side) went to jail for stealing a car and broke out of prison, then was caught and given a life sentence, but was let out because the prison became too crowded. He was also known for being an alcoholic. He stayed sober for a few months, but started drinking again and wound up back in prison for driving under the influence.

Another one of my uncles (on my mom's side) has OCD, anorexia, bulimia, and does crystal meth and crack. He's always jittery and his teeth are falling out. He's been to prison numerous times for stealing money from people.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 2:37 pm

there was something that happened to my mom and one or two of her sisters when they were young. they were molested by either one of their uncles or one of my grandfather's business partners or something. i don't know details, don't want to know details, and it's been kept pretty quiet until my aunt told a cousin of mine about it while she was going through a temporary psychosis.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 2:38 pm

I was born.

Haha kidding :)

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:46 pm

There is a long history of greed and betrayal in my family (I'm guilty of that same greed myself). We're not rich but we do have money and land. Many times throughout my family's history when someone died, they would fight each other for that person's assets and when it was all said and done, they never spoke to each other again. I experienced that 4 years ago when my dad passed away. He had farm land, vehciles, a house, etc and the day after he was buried, my uncles fought me and my sister for it. We ended up winning after 2 years and they kiss our a$$es now, but there is still the matter of when grandma dies. She got grandpa's assets when he passed away last September and when she dies, history will repeat itself, only they'll be at each other's throats too.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:52 pm

My great-grandmother was sent to an institution and could therefore not bring up my grandfather and great aunts and uncles.

My step-cousin had a baby in January, when he had just turned 18. 16 is the legal age in England, but the whole family were totally shocked.