Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Apr 2008, 1:34 am

...she died in a flash flood when on a canyoning trip, along with 5 more students and 1 teacher.
I heard it mentioned on the radio about 20 minutes ago.

This happened on the 15th April, 2008.

I had not spoken to this girl in 2 years, but all through primary school (ages 5-11) we were friends as our mothers were friends with eachother and for a few years after primary school we kept in contact.
I'm in complete shock, i'm detached from myself. I was watching a news report about it 5 minutes ago and they showed her body wrapped in a black plastic bag being carried into an ambulance or some other medically-orientated vehicle. I can't get the image out of my head. I can't believe shes gone.
She had so much potential to do something great with her life. She was kind, caring, genuine, very bright and everyone seemed to like her.
You always think..."this will never happen to me". But when someone that you know dies, it just makes you think otherwise.

Article about the accident: http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/20 ... 2/27bc8dd5

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:41 am

I'm sorry to hear that. :cry:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:43 am

I'm sorry to hear about this. I can kind of identify. I had a friend that died from a heart problem in school. I felt bad because I couldn't cry and I hadn't been very nice to him. I guess the words I'd use were detached.

I hope you're alright. Yeah, I'm going through the same thing with my family too, so lately death has been on my mind. You're right, you never think it's you... until you see something like this. Life is short, I guess all we can do is make the most out of it. I don't want to come off as religous as I'm not, but I do tend to believe there is a higher power and a meaning to life. That's just my belief, I'm very sorry for the loss that has happened. Remember, there's support here. You got one from me.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:44 am

That isn't good news. It's strange when someone you knew died. I've never had someone close die before, but I've known a couple people who have died who I was associated with. You've gotta remember that people die. You never know when you're time is up...

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:45 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I do tend to believe there is a higher power

What do you believe exactly?

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:49 am

Wow, I just read that article. It's hard to believe that stuff like that can happen in real life and not just in movies.

Brittany2907

16 Apr 2008, 1:55 am

Thanks guys for your support. It makes me feel a bit better knowing that others care.

My mother and I are going to find some kind of "sorry for your loss" card and give it to the family sometime this week or a bit later [depending on what my mother says].

My friend had a younger brother and sister as well...I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through, let alone her parents.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:56 am

YIKES! OUCH! I'm very sorry for your loss!

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 2:07 am

I'm sorry to hear that. My best friend got killed in a car accident about 2 months ago.

Those who know, don't speak.

floaty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2008, 3:11 am

I'm sorry to hear about your loss

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:03 am

This news is terible. I'm very sorry about your loss... :(

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

16 Apr 2008, 5:13 am

That's awful. Losing people you care about sucks. Sorry for your friend dying. :(

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2008, 10:39 am

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend Brittany2907.
It does come as a shock when someone young dies because it upsets our percieved natural order.
I can say that I learned from the death of my daughter that your whole world can change just like that, in the blink of an eye, so now I live my life more attuned to that and try to treat every day as if it could be my last. Cause now I know it can be. Her death changed me on a fundamental level.
Her siblings are no doubt devastated as well. Also there is a worldwide group for parents and siblings of deceased children called "The Compassionate Friends" Its very nice and you might want to mention it in your card. I'm sure they have a website. I went to only one meeting (I'm NOT a "joiner") but knowing I was with other people for those 2 hours who really did understand how I felt did help . A shared experience seems less of a burden. They also have a Worldwide Candle lighting cermonoy on Dec. 12th.
My sig line comes from the song we played called "I Grieve" by Peter Gaberiel. It got me thru the hardest time in my life. Let me find it for you. The last verse really made me feel better. Once again I'm sorry.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=O18A4RugiMs[/youtube]

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Last edited by reika on 16 Apr 2008, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

16 Apr 2008, 11:51 am

reika, I know the death of your daughter must have been an awful blow. Easter weekend of 2004 my nephew 20 years old fell asleep at the wheel and died in an auto accident. My brother and his wife were devastated. I had changed his diapers myself on occasion. Out of all the family and friends funerals I have been to Trever's was the most bitter. Life sucks sometimes.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:59 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Two of my best friends died in car crashes within 4 months of each other. The first died 30 days after I graduated from high school, he was a year below me. He died less than a mile from where I lived at the time. My other friend died on the highway. She had her baby in the car with her but the baby survived. I hate she's gone but I'm glad her legacy lives on. I was just starting to recover from my first friend's death when I heard about her. Thus began this long string of death. I've been to at least 2 funerals every year since 2003. I'm so tired of it.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2008, 12:21 pm

Thank You Velodog, I must say that WP has also been instrumental in pulling me out of my "funk." I don't think you ever really "recover" from the loss, but I seem to be able to cope with it better as time passes. (In other words I can talk about it now w/out turning into a incoherent sobbing wreck.) Having all of you to talk with has been instrumental in my recovery also. Without all of you I don't talk about it with anyone. (did that make ANY sense? :D )

Cherish every day Brittany2907.......... cause "s**t happens" and you never know when its coming.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."