Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 1:13 pm

Do people with AS particularly like pets? I haven't had any pets in my life, but I see lots of avatars of pets on WP.

My relatives own a dog and I don't really enjoy playing around with the dog. I mean the dog doesn't know how to talk and so the only thing you can see about the dog are its actions and cues and isn't is true that people with AS can't stand actions and cues?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 1:43 pm

I have a rat terrier named Josie. Her feet smell like popcorn. She is 7 years old.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 1:49 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Her feet smell like popcorn.

Interesting :D

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2009, 2:02 pm

I have cats. It's really quite nice how they actually like me.
I've also learnt to translate cat body language, and apparently it makes for quite a lecture, once I get going!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 2:09 pm

Seems like many do, but not all. Personally, I find reading animals by their behavior intuitive. It's not like reading people at all (though reading people on an 'animal level' is another story).

Also, they have no guile or deceict in them. If they like you it's simple and genuine.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 2:29 pm

I love my sweet little Chico. He's part Wheaten and part Poodle. He's black on top and beige on the bottom.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

13 Dec 2009, 5:13 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Seems like many do, but not all. Personally, I find reading animals by their behavior intuitive. It's not like reading people at all (though reading people on an 'animal level' is another story).

Also, they have no guile or deceict in them. If they like you it's simple and genuine.

I agree! I have always gotten on better with animals than with people. I have never met an animal I didn't like (though there were a few that didn't care for me!) :)

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 5:25 pm

I find that I am calmer and much less inclined to chatter inanely when I'm with my dog. His affection is simple, sincere, and deep, no strings attached. He loves me as I am and never thinks I need to say a certain thing or act a certain way. Since his needs are fairly simple -- food, water, play, walks, shelter, and plenty of affection -- it's easy to tell what he needs. He has different barks and facial expressions to let me know what's going on in his canine mind. He's also very smart and quite a clown -- he makes me laugh and quite often makes my day. Since he watches me intently when I do talk to him, he helps me feel less lonely. My husband and I feel that getting Einstein may have been the best decision we ever made; we don't want children, but we've bonded deeply over our "baby."

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 6:13 pm

I love all animals and care and also worry many times about what they go through in association with humans, in particular. My two cats are a great comfort to me, they are very calming to my nervous system when they rest against me, for example, and have been very healing this way around my symptoms of PTSD. I enjoy feeding, grooming, loving and caring for them every day to keep them as happy and contented as they make me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 7:21 pm

I've got a pet cat who I really like a lot, but I'm not sure about getting pets when I live on my own because I don't trust myself to care for them properly TBH.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 9:24 pm

I've got a pet dog and is very hyper :lol: she sure has alot more energy than me.... Yet I love her too much :P

Asp-Z, cats are pretty much independent animals, they do basically most things themselves, all you need to do is feed it and get the kitty litter and that's basically it...

I don't think I would be trusted with a pet either yet I'm proven them wrong that I can just do that, but on a tiring day is the worst bit but it has to be done and having a dog is alot of work...

13 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm

I used to have a dog and cat but I had to get rid of the dog and my cat died. Now I can't have any pets because my landlord won't allow them.

Shaye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2009, 6:59 pm

I have a dog. His name is trevor. He's about 4 years old.
I tought him how to sit today =D

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 7:56 pm

I can't really get down with dogs. I mean I like other people's dogs well enough sometimes but I'd never want one myself.

I have two cats that are brother and sister, they are 5 years old and I've had them since they were kittens.

They are as*holes just like me and I love them. The sister hates literally everyone and everything in the world (they were freeway kittens so they have some trauma issues from before I had them, her especially) but I worked for over a year just doting on her and building trust tiny bit by bit, and for 4 years now she's been in my face 24/7 to the point that it's aggravating sometimes. I'm the only person in the world that she actually likes.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 8:33 pm

amazon_television wrote:

Cute kittens :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 8:41 pm

bonuspoints wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I agree! I have always gotten on better with animals than with people. I have never met an animal I didn't like (though there were a few that didn't care for me!) :)

Same for me.

Pets are a joy, and nothing beats coming home to a loving pet who shows that he/she is happy to see me. On a good day their presence feels nothing less than heavenly, on bad days they're what keep me together and going.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765