hey anime fans, been to a convention recently?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:24 pm

i was at a little convention called Animania yesterday in melbourne. it was a mini version of their convention in sydney and brisbane so it was a 1 day event held in a hotel conference area. it had the convention staples, cosplay, screenings, karoke and other fun things. it was fun but very squishy, it was easier to get into the traders area this year then last year because the traders room and the games room swapped areas. the main stage area was packed out for the cosplay. i got a good view from up the back by sitting on the bar(lots of people were doing that and the management did not mind).

it was funny when i went to lunch with some cosplayers in a little japanese cafe and every eye in the cafe was on us when we went in. (there were some other cosplayers there too, hidden behind the bar).

a good day in all, can't wait for manifest (melbourne's main con to be held in september)
so do you have a convention experience you would like to share?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:07 pm

I went to the biggest one on the US East Coast last July Otakon. It was cool and fun.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:26 pm

I'm too scared to go to conventions. I've heard horror stories of rabid fans who scream "kawaii" and glomp people out of nowhere!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:13 pm

i would love to go to a US con at least once and one of the events in japan too.
IdahoRose there are crazy fans that is true but 99% of the fans are cool. maybe try going to a smaller con.
the main con here is called manifest and it is held at a university and is attended by around 5,000 people. our cons are really small compared to cons in the US.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:16 pm

Well, the largest con held in Idaho is Anime Oasis, so maybe I'll go there later this year... It would sure be fun to cosplay! I think I'd make a good Seras Victoria.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 7:49 am

My last convention was in october... ages ago. It wasn't as good as the one before it though, because the oct. London expo is always busy. We had the nickolodean kids awards in the excel as well, though, and they were good fun to play with. I cosplayed K (Gravitation), Misa (Death Note - I changed half way through the day because my boyfriend was dressed as Light, and then my other friend made himself a quick L cosplay from primark), and then Eric Draven (the Crow).

Luckily, the next one's just around the corner. It'll be the anniversary of me meeting my boyfriend. :D Hopefully it'll be as good as last years may expo! I'm cosplaying Nel from Bleach, and then either Chihiro (with my boyfriend as Haku) if I can get the costumes made, or Hiyori from Bleach the second day.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:43 am

I been going to Otakon since 2004. I'm already set to go for this year.
It usually pretty good for me. I admit I just like to go to panels, admire the cosplay girls and shop.
I want to try to do a bit more this year since I got a place in the city now.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:14 am

Would 'Flushed Away' be considered anime?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 12:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Would 'Flushed Away' be considered anime?

I'm sorry, but no. Anime is cartoons that come from Japan, and Flushed Away was made in the West (I can't tell if it was made in the US or the UK).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 12:26 pm

:O)

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 2:11 pm

I've actually been to my first one a few weeks ago; anime detour in Minneapolis Minnesota.

I could've planned for it better, but I had fun.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

I ended up at one randomly a couple years ago. I can do without another.

Of course, I'm not much of an anime fan.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 4:22 am

the first con i went to was the Melbourne Anime Festival, i went because my sister was nagging me to go. it was cool and i bought loads of stuff.
this year will be my 3rd Manifest. it will be on the last weekend in september. grand final weekend btw AFL fans.

have u guys been to a pop culture con? it has anime and other things like sci fi and western cartoons. i went to Supernova last month in melbourne and it was fun. i entered the Kamehameha contest and lost to a guy cosplaying as vegeta. he must have gotten annoyed sometime will people yelling " ITS OVER 9000!".
anyway i also checked out the cosplay contest and the panel with Michael Winslow who was fantastic. really funny.
a great time it was.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

i was at a con once... and the voice actors for Vegita, Future Trunks and Bulma from DBZ were there. I got them to argue with each other in their voices...it was awesome!! ! I wanna go to another one and see some cosplay skits!! !

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:26 pm

I love anime...but I think the only reason I'd ever go to a con is all the hot chicks in cosplay. It's like some weird fetish. I loves me some freak in my geek. o.O

Besides, I could never pull off an awesome Sephiroth costume. Them swords are expensive works of art. :(

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 4:52 am

someone made a great one at the con that i went too. she was in a group with a girl that did a cool Cloud costume. they were competing in the contest. the cosplay contest is always the most popular part of my local cons or one of the most popular.