Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KatieMiller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2008, 6:31 pm

Today and yesterday Alex and I mowed our lawn for the first time ever. Well, he's done it before at his parents' house, but I never have. It was starting to look like a tropical forest of weeds, and attracting lots of bees, so it was time.

I felt like a bad-ass when I got the mower started myself. Unfortunately, I mow like I vacuum: in weird circles and funny nonsense directions, so the parts I did look like a six year old who cut his own hair. Alex was more efficient and did straight lines. I wanted him to make stars or patterns or something, but no.

I kind of liked mowing the lawn. Does anyone here love it or hate it? Anyone make designs?

Also, what do you do with all the grass clippings that fall out of the bag? Our town recycles them if they're in a plastic bag, but some spilled and we have huge piles of it on the driveway. Can you dry it out in the sun and turn it into hay for cows or something? Is there any other use for it?

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 6:42 pm

I like to mow my yard. I have an old-fashioned reel mower (no motor) and all my neighbors think I am nuts. But I love it because I don't have to worry about gas storage or parts and I can mow my yard barefoot (unthinkable in a power mower!). I usually do all the shady parts first, especially when it is hot, then wait for the shadows to move. My mower is so quiet, that I can hear all the birds. It's hard work but it is like meditation. I would hate it if I had to move somewhere where I couldn't take care of my yard.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 6:45 pm

I don't mind it. It's time to myself and afterwards, I see that I've accomplished something that beautifies the property. The best way to mow the lawn is all in the same direction. Designs and stuff should be reserved for MLB stadiums.

Only think I don't like about mowing the lawn is the vibration males my hands shake even an hour after mowing. Also, when it does get time to mow, it's usually pretty hot out and I sweat like a pig (although pigs have no sweat glands) and no matter how much cool water I douse myself with, I seem to keep sweating.

It's good exercise, though. I can feel the pounds melt away.

one more thing; sometimes, more often that not, there's a slope on my lawn where the grass grows really fast so I'll have to remove the shroud from the ejection chute to keep the blades from clogging with lawn clippings.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 7:06 pm

I would like to mow the lawn with my family's old lawn mower, but I would have to fight off my mother who also loved mowing the lawn and would insist on doing all of it.

26 Apr 2008, 8:21 pm

I used to watch my parents mow the lawn when I was little and when I was 16, we bought a sit down mower since we had a huge yard because we lived out in the country. I would mow our grass but I always wore certain clothes because I didn't like to get my regular clothes smelling like gas and covered in grass bits and dirt.

But now I don't have to mow anymore because my boyfriend and I have no yard.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 9:00 pm

I can't mow my lawn yet - over half of it is still covered with snow. Won't be for another two weeks.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm

Xelebes wrote:
I can't mow my lawn yet - over half of it is still covered with snow. Won't be for another two weeks.

I wish that were me!

I mowed my front lawn today and part of the back.
I need to trim also. yuck!

I like the reel push mowers with no engine... just the snicketysnicketysnickety of the blades passing the cutter... until you hit a thick patch of bermuda grass...WONK.. stopped dead in your tracks.

Still, when my yard is short enough, I like using the old mower.

But until that day I use the gas mower.

I wear gloves to dampen the vibration, and hearing protectors for the noise (although I have started routing my earbuds underneath and today I was listening to AUDIOSLAVE while mowing... :twisted: :D )

I also mow in irregular patterns at times.
I might start in one direction, but I will eventually change directions, or change patterns, etc.
I don't know how anyone can walk the same boring pattern up-and-down the lawn :eew: :thumbdown:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 12:07 am

I have severe allergies and choke when I try to mow the lawn. It really bugs me because it's such a normal activity and it makes me feel different in a bad way. :(

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 12:24 am

Social_Fantom wrote:
I have severe allergies and choke when I try to mow the lawn. It really bugs me because it's such a normal activity and it makes me feel different in a bad way. :(

Hey don't feel that way!

Mowing grass is a STUPID thing only necessary because we cultivate these lawns purely for vanity!

There are other ground covers that would not require mowing, offer a nice feel underfoot, and in some areas would be less invasive.

Depending on the grass, I get my allergies worked up also... scratchy, itchy throat, watery eyes, etc.

I'm glad my landlord thinks watering the lawn is a waste of water and doesn't care much what I do... other than letting it get too tall I suppose.

In Fairbanks, I just mowed close to the house and since the rest was forest, I didn't have to do anything to that!

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2008, 2:49 am

I don't have a lawn either. I agree, there's not much point to one.

I mean, grass is nice for running around on or as part of a park or something like that. But in the front of a house?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:20 am

Mowing the lawns is a chore. We've got nearly 1.5 acres of garden most of which is lawn. My wife has spent the last two days mowing the lawns and still hasn't finished. We desperately need a sit-on lawn mower but can't afford one. I've been busy digging the vegetable garden and getting seeds planted. Too much work in the garden at this time of the year. Today I'm making the "wigwams" of bamboo canes to support the runner beans, then I've got lots of software work to catch up on, not to mention a stack of DIY that needs doing. Work, work, work.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Apr 2008, 4:06 am

Our lawn mover is huge and too heavy for me to push! :lol:

My mother mows the lawns. (the other neighbours are too lazy!)

I would prefer to let them grow and let our yard look like a jungle. Unfortunately, the yard is common ground and four appartments share it (including ours) so I don't think we'd be allowed to do that.

My mother puts the grass clippings under a row of trees. Eventually, they just decompose.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:21 am

I have about a half-acre to mow (that has lots of trees and bushes to go around, but I love mowing with a push mower - for some reason riding mowers make my back hurt. The only bad time is during the middle of the summer when it is too dry and dusty and then allergies kick in.

Turn your clippings into compost. You can get compost boxes or make your own. Add some other things besides just grass clippings - dried leaves or vegetable waste from the kitchen (coffee grounds!). After a few months you can put the rotted compost around flowers and it makes them grow better.

Z

P.S.

My yard.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:41 am

I just mowed the lawn this morning and then saw this topic ! I wasn't
looking forward to it but actually found it rather therapeutic.
The grass goes into a compost bin so it serves a purpose.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:56 am

Zonder wrote:
I have about a half-acre to mow (that has lots of trees and bushes to go around, but I love mowing with a push mower - for some reason riding mowers make my back hurt. The only bad time is during the middle of the summer when it is too dry and dusty and then allergies kick in.

Turn your clippings into compost. You can get compost boxes or make your own. Add some other things besides just grass clippings - dried leaves or vegetable waste from the kitchen (coffee grounds!). After a few months you can put the rotted compost around flowers and it makes them grow better.

Z

P.S.

My yard.

omg what super robot u got in there? :P

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 8:07 am

batista90 wrote:
omg what super robot u got in there? :P

I guess a little AS related mower fixation is exemplified here. Otherwise it would be a real DRAG! BTW, the yard slopes down towards the river - mowing uphill really helps the calf muscles. :D

Z