Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 9:15 am

Recent events and several posts in other threads have prompted me to address the issues of "Bullying" and "Tolerance". In simple and short terms, here are my views on the two topics.

It is neither bullying nor "gas-lighting" to:

• Correct someone's factual errors.

• Dismiss a claim as racist, sexist, or otherwise bigoted in any way.

• Express opinions that differ from the opinions of another person.

• Illuminate an invalid assumption.

• Point out someone's faulty reasoning.

• Refute a claim by using known facts and principles that have been repeatedly and successfully demonstrated to be true.

To be tolerant or understanding of others does not mean to:

• Accept their delusions as valid.

• Agree with their opinions.

• Be silent while they spread lies and misinformation.

• Endure their abusive language and actions against you and others.

• Stand idly by while they destroy themselves and others over their beliefs.

• Treat them so gently that they never realize how wrong they are.

chapstan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm

Fnord;

It is good to get this discussion started, as you have pointed out there are those here who have felt bullied or personally attacked in the midst of a discussion about whatever issue is posted. The goal may be to just correct facts or offer disagreeing opinions, but if can come off as harsh or downright rude. Now we have seen Presidential contenders call each other "Jackass" or "idiot" but I haven't seen things get that rude here.

For me, I've felt safe enough on the forums here to actually post a thought about any number of questions. But many issues out there, no matter how much evidence you feel you have, are emotional opinions. Not like a mathematical equation that has one true answer.

I guess my main question in this discussion is, at what point for the sake of tolerance and understanding do we just agree to disagree? Come up with our own new code word-A2D. I'm not going to change your mind, you aren't going to change my mind.

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

chapstan wrote:
Fnord;

It is good to get this discussion started, as you have pointed out there are those here who have felt bullied or personally attacked in the midst of a discussion about whatever issue is posted. The goal may be to just correct facts or offer disagreeing opinions, but if can come off as harsh or downright rude. Now we have seen Presidential contenders call each other "Jackass" or "idiot" but I haven't seen things get that rude here. hmm,are you sure?

For me, I've felt safe enough on the forums here to actually post a thought about any number of questions.
you aren't going to change my mind.

I've posted some of what you said as a token or gesture of anticipation or helping someone to cardstack their emotions or feelings of worthless guilt. Fnord is a well adept user of the forums, he gives good advice when others may not question something,(but the facts are never just facts), any sense of resolution to this forum will come when an initial awareness of identity issue is resolved and not after..for the mere fact of stating it.
I don't take any fact too personally, as long as an opinion is heard out and not mollified by the odds of making life harder for oneself. I know for a fact old Fnord will never retire, and actually, he should be a moderator, because i'd like to turn to him for help(now and again), but Fnord won't expect this, and see kindness as a distant reflection of a common attribute attached to it.
That last quote had a sentiment attached to it, whether people want to exploit it or not is another matter.
Just one thing though, try not to be right all the time. :lol:

"Women are made to be loved, not understood."

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

Bullying is a dynamic thing. Our OP Fnord is a great example. Pretty much everything he says is saucy, so you can't be offended by it. That's just how he talks. If someone was usually very reserved but then had an aggressive way of talking to me and me only, yeah that would be offensive. Even if it didn't break the rules Fnord set out here. It all really depends on the specific people and the specific situation.