Why do people stare? Do people stare at you?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:24 pm

People stare at me all the time and it freaks me out. When I lived in "less progressive" places like San Antonio and Maine, I assumed it was because I'm slightly weird looking. I have a few tattoos. A typical outfit for me is a t-shirt with pictures of bats on it, tight-ish black jeans, and sneakers. I often wear a denim jacket with a Black Sabbath logo on the back or a leather jacket with a few spikes and a few pins. Nothing radical, but I guess I might stand out in some places.

But now I live in the SF Bay Area where there are lots of people who look a lot weirder than me, and yet people still stare at me all the time. The other logical explanation is that maybe they find me attractive, but then why do gay men stare at me? And why do I get hateful stares? I think that I look like a nice, relatively normal girl, and yet people stare at me as though I was walking down the street naked or something. I don't get it.

Do people stare at you like this? Do you have any idea what could be causing people to stare like this?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:41 pm

I'm mostly ignored but on the off chance someone does look my way, I feel that they are staring at me. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :roll:

sim
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:48 pm

I have no idea why everyone stares at me.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

04 May 2008, 12:06 am

Two possibilities cross my mind. The first is that the Blondie/Ramones era punk rock girls dressed similar to what you describe and looked hot doing so. The hateful stare may be someone just doesn't like how you dress and/or chooses to read something into it. As for your other question, I do occasionally wear a Pinhead T shirt that will get some glances. The only other stuff I wear that might be noticed, is if someone has a clue what Glock, HK, SigSauer or Kimber means. If they do and don't like it, they can piss up a rope. :D

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 12:37 am

I'd have to actually look people in the eyes to find out if they're staring at me, so I couldn't tell you :x

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I often wear a denim jacket with a Black Sabbath logo on the back...

I've got a Sabbath patch on the front of my hoodie \m/ It's a replica of the logo from the Born Again album.

Just the band's name, not that atrocious looking baby, thankfully :roll:

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 12:51 am

alot of people stare at me... creepy... :?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 12:57 am

I wonder why.. 8O

No sometimes I get stared at and other times it's as if I don't exist.

I'm usually the one doing the staring without knowing it until someone asks me what the hell am I staring at..AKA stop staring at me!! Catch myself doing it a lot more than ppl do to me. I don't know what it is because I'm not really looking at them and yet I guess I am. :scratch:

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:07 am

To quote those great philosophers, Emerson Lake & Palmer:

"Why do you stare?
Do you think that I care?
You've been misled
By the thoughts in your head..."

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 11:38 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
People stare at me all the time and it freaks me out. When I lived in "less progressive" places like San Antonio and Maine, I assumed it was because I'm slightly weird looking. I have a few tattoos. A typical outfit for me is a t-shirt with pictures of bats on it, tight-ish black jeans, and sneakers. I often wear a denim jacket with a Black Sabbath logo on the back or a leather jacket with a few spikes and a few pins. Nothing radical, but I guess I might stand out in some places.

But now I live in the SF Bay Area where there are lots of people who look a lot weirder than me, and yet people still stare at me all the time. The other logical explanation is that maybe they find me attractive, but then why do gay men stare at me? And why do I get hateful stares? I think that I look like a nice, relatively normal girl, and yet people stare at me as though I was walking down the street naked or something. I don't get it.

Do people stare at you like this? Do you have any idea what could be causing people to stare like this?

I dress the same way, but only get people asking if I am in a band, which is weird since I have absolute no musical talents, I can't stand wearing golf shirts and kahaki pants, they look kinda gay, not that thats a bad thing, I hate bright colors and prefer black or blue, only low rise boot cut jeans and a black t shirt, black steel toed shoes or boots, the same basic cloths I have been wearing since the mid 70's, only then I also wore a scruffy lumberjack shirt and an army jacket, nobody can ever dress up a head banger :twisted:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:27 pm

velodog wrote:
Two possibilities cross my mind. The first is that the Blondie/Ramones era punk rock girls dressed similar to what you describe and looked hot doing so. The hateful stare may be someone just doesn't like how you dress and/or chooses to read something into it. As for your other question, I do occasionally wear a Pinhead T shirt that will get some glances. The only other stuff I wear that might be noticed, is if someone has a clue what Glock, HK, SigSauer or Kimber means. If they do and don't like it, they can piss up a rope. :D

That's where my style basically comes from - mid-1970's New York punk - because it's something I relate to and obsess over. And yes, they can piss on a rope! That's a good attitude!

SabbraCadabra wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:
I often wear a denim jacket with a Black Sabbath logo on the back...

I've got a Sabbath patch on the front of my hoodie \m/ It's a replica of the logo from the Born Again album.

Mine is the picture on the cover of the first album and the logo from that record.

spudnik wrote:
I dress the same way, but only get people asking if I am in a band, which is weird since I have absolute no musical talents, I can't stand wearing golf shirts and kahaki pants, they look kinda gay, not that thats a bad thing, I hate bright colors and prefer black or blue, only low rise boot cut jeans and a black t shirt, black steel toed shoes or boots, the same basic cloths I have been wearing since the mid 70's, only then I also wore a scruffy lumberjack shirt and an army jacket, nobody can ever dress up a head banger :twisted:

I've been asked what band I'm in too. It's really funny, but it only happens to me in places where people don't see many rockers or places where one would expect to run into a rock star - like the airport.

I agree that there are comfort-related reasons for dressing the way we dress. Fancy clothes are uncomfortable. Soft cotton, including well-worn denim, is very comfortable. Leather is good because it's comfortable in different temperatures. My wardrobe is mostly black, white, and gray - so I don't have to worry about what pants go with what shirt. I have more important things to worry about first thing in the morning - like what record to listen to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:40 pm

I don't know if people stare at me, or not. I'm usually doing my won thing and minding my own business.

qgambit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2008, 2:44 pm

I don't think people stare at me. It's my paranoia that thinks they do.

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2008, 2:51 pm

I get stared at all the time, but thats because I am different. I dont let it bother me though, I think that at the very least I've been of some interest and brightened up somebodies dull and boring day.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:52 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Mine is the picture on the cover of the first album and the logo from that record.

Awesome \m/

I think they had that patch when I got mine, but Born Again won out.

I was also really tempted to get a patch from Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but then people might get confused and think I like that silly pop stuff after Pete and Steve left :oops:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:56 pm

Mine is silk-screened onto the jacket in gold ink. It's not a patch, but I have nothing against patches - yours sounds cool.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 5:12 pm

I like staring at the people I love. It annoys them pretty bad, though. I also stare at people in church if they're wearing something interesting.