Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Purple_Banana
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

And synesthetes on the boards?

I have chromographic synesthesia- my letters, numbers, days of the week, months, years, and certain objects have colors and genders associated with them; people have colors that represent them. I am green and purple.

Anyone else?

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

09 Nov 2007, 11:42 pm

I have mild synesthesia. Books have particular tastes, as do writing styles. I can't read a book if it tastes bad. I can also see sound in my mind (kind of like watching waveform patterns), and I read conversation, like a stock ticker in my mind's eye.
A good friend of mine has your type of synesthesia; he said my name is a kind of dark, grayish purple (Talia). He hears shapes, which is something I find fascinating.

beauteousday
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2007, 12:14 am

hey, do you have any more info on this? i do this all the time. objects have feelings and words have colors. i was telling my friend rachel today that her name is dark purple, and her shampoo is more purple than her name.

could this be what you have?

Purple_Banana
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2007, 1:48 am

Mmhmm- sounds like it, although I can't say for sure. Interestingly enough, it's not a psychiatric or nurological condition, rather a genetic trait. My cousin has it, but her letters and numbers have personalities as well.

I also see my months of the year and days in a week in an oval pattern, like a gameboard.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/synesthesia for more information. I found out what it was called when I told my mom at 7 "I didn't know you could make a red letter (P) into a purple letter (R) but just adding an extra line, that's cool" and she got me evaluated before they suspected Aspergers- the pediatrician said it wasn't a disorder, rather, a congenital personailty trait; no mental delay is evident with synesthetes, but heightened IQ could also occur from it as well.

Purple_Banana
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2007, 1:48 am

Mmhmm- sounds like it, although I can't say for sure. Interestingly enough, it's not a psychiatric or neurological condition, rather a genetic trait. My cousin has it, but her letters and numbers have personalities as well.

I also see my months of the year and days in a week in an oval pattern, like a gameboard.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/synesthesia for more information. I found out what it was called when I told my mom at 7 and she got me evaluated before they suspected Aspergers- the pediatrician said it wasn't a disorder, rather, a congenital personailty trait; no mental delay is evident with synesthetes, but heightened IQ could also occur from it as well.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 7:19 pm

I have synesthesia.

Letters and numbers have colors and textures. Sounds come with textures, shapes, and colors. Some smells have colors too.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 7:20 pm

I don't have this issue.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2007, 7:43 pm

I didn't even know there was a name for this.

I don't know... I tend to associate things with colors, numbers, and words- but I don't "see" colors.
With the numbers though, It's only with people, and It's their DOB. Otherwise I don't remember them. For example, they say 8-8-1984 and I remember where I met them and who they are.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 2:45 pm

Here is an interesting website one seeing sound, from mid evil alabaster carvings, it sort
of makes me wonder if the artisans had chromographic synesthesia, the designs are almost
mandala like.
http://www.tjmitchell.com/stuart/rosslyn.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2Dg-ncWoY[/youtube]

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2008, 5:02 pm

interesing, to me i see days of the week as squares

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 6:22 pm

I associate numbers,letters,days,months and
(strangely) countries with different colours.
I've no idea why I see Russia as green or
Japan as purple :?

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2008, 7:47 pm

I have a very mild form. Time is always in a visual timeline in my mind with different years and decades having different colors.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 2:07 am

I see can music and sound in my mind, when I was younger I thought I could taste color, but we all know grape koolaid is purple.