Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:08 pm

This weekend I am going to the animal shelter and considering adopting a third cat. I have had my current two for 5 years.

How many cat are too many for you? How many cats would be your maximum?

These are ones they have at the shelter

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:11 pm

we're at our max at two.

I guess it depends on your finances, how much space you have and your spouses' patience.

If you have a farm, you could get as many casts as you wanted. You'd run the risk of them going feral on you not to mention the huge vet bills what with the vaccinations and the fixins and whatnot. Lots would be good too keep away mice. In an apartment in the city, two - tops.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 12:31 pm

I have four cats. Four is a nice number to have, I think. I eventually plan to have 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 llamas, and some ducks and peacocks.. On a nice little farm in Virginia with a pond.
I think 6 cats would be my maximum. It just depends on your living situation, I would think. Though it's always very, very tempting to get more.. I'm not sure if they would get along with ducks or peacocks, however.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:36 pm

I have my own house, so space is not a issue, but I will need to get another food bowl.

Aside from the cats I have 6 rats, 1 ferret, and 1 budgie. The idea to get a 3rd cat was my fiance's idea and I have no issues with it, he also wants a bunny.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 1:05 pm

I think it's great you're considering adopting a cat from the animal shelter. I luv cats no matter what but it's a shame most people gravitate toward pet stores rather than a place where their fate is uncertain.

As for too many cats, I think it depends upon where you live, what the environment is, and if you are willing to spends some extra money and responsibility to each cat. We have a lady that hoards cats which irks me b/c she doesn't get them fixed so they multiply and spread disease to other cats. Ironically many of them have been taken to the Animal Shelter :(

I grew up with at least the number of 7 cats. My whole family are cat lovers plus we had a large labrador dog.

Funny you should say shelter, I was hesitant about getting one at the shelter not too longe ago because it upsets me to know that some of these cats are either going to be put down or taken into abusive homes. I wanted to get a companion for my other cat, Bob who is a socialite.

I don't regret it now that I did adopt Bill at the shelter. They told me he was probably the most likely to be put down because of his age which they said was 5. Most ppl adopt kittens. He looked sickly and full of famine until after some days. It was like looking at a different cat compared to the one I had seen at the shelter. And guess what? Turns out the animal shelter was WRONG, I had two vets approximate his age to 2!!

Here he is plump and happy. I can't believe what circumstances would've happened if I hadn't adopted him. He has so much character and charisma

With character...

Not to mention he's got a buddy.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:05 pm

One is the best number of cats, but I have two. Even one can be a pest, when it doesn't let me sleep. My old female cat doesn't like the new young male cat at all. I didn't buy either of them, the first was a domesticated stray. The second I tamed from a feral kitten born in my backyard.

willow668
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2008, 2:14 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I have my own house, so space is not a issue, but I will need to get another food bowl.

Aside from the cats I have 6 rats, 1 ferret, and 1 budgie. The idea to get a 3rd cat was my fiance's idea and I have no issues with it, he also wants a bunny.

AND another litter box....trust me! We have 4 cats & until recently there were only 2 boxes......large ones, but still only two. This led to -shall we say- some UNdesirable elimination spots :x We added another large covered box; plus our "old lady" cat (at least 13) is crated at night....dont' feel bad, she has a litter, food/water and a nice little perch over the litterbox *kitty loft :D *.
She's in there because when I hit the third complete bedding wash (in ONE week/daily use of the little green.....it was either have her put down (not an option to my husband) OR contain her at night. And it's one of those xlg doggie crates, the solid kind w/ windows down the sides 8) she's happy, no one (meaning the other cats) bother her...she's deaf, so that's a real issue.....she'd get startled/bothered & would just go puke somewhere :? anywho......

willow668
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2008, 2:20 pm

Awwwwwww! Such darling babies! Thanks for sharing your pics! Personally I despise regular (kill) shelters. We make sure to bring stray kittens to a NO kill shelter & support them. No, not our kittens, all our babies are "fixed"......but we live in a t.park & there are strays EVERYWHERE. :(

MissConstrue wrote:
I think it's great you're considering adopting a cat from the animal shelter. I luv cats no matter what but it's a shame most people gravitate toward pet stores rather than a place where their fate is uncertain.

As for too many cats, I think it depends upon where you live, what the environment is, and if you are willing to spends some extra money and responsibility to each cat. We have a lady that hoards cats which irks me b/c she doesn't get them fixed so they multiply and spread disease to other cats. Ironically many of them have been taken to the Animal Shelter :(

I grew up with at least the number of 7 cats. My whole family are cat lovers plus we had a large labrador dog.

Funny you should say shelter, I was hesitant about getting one at the shelter not too longe ago because it upsets me to know that some of these cats are either going to be put down or taken into abusive homes. I wanted to get a companion for my other cat, Bob who is a socialite.

I don't regret it now that I did adopt Bill at the shelter. They told me he was probably the most likely to be put down because of his age which they said was 5. Most ppl adopt kittens. He looked sickly and full of famine until after some days. It was like looking at a different cat compared to the one I had seen at the shelter. And guess what? Turns out the animal shelter was WRONG, I had two vets approximate his age to 2!!

Here he is plump and happy. I can't believe what circumstances would've happened if I hadn't adopted him. He has so much character and charisma

With character...

Not to mention he's got a buddy.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:44 pm

I don't know my personal limit...we have two or three cats in the house (sometimes we cat-sit for my brother), but only one is mine. I'm fine with just one, and so is he...he doesn't really care for the other cats, but learns to tolerate them :roll: He sneaks out a lot though, and I think there's a female or two he takes a fancy to.

He was kind of feral I guess when we found him...allegedly he was abandoned. He's tamed down a lot over the years, and sometimes he kind of creeps me out how affectionate he's gotten lately. He'll even purr for me now 8O

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:48 pm

^That's a coincidence I live in a trailer park too full of "feral cats" I think coming from the lady that hoards them. Ashame too b/c we've been having more animal control vans catching them. You'd think the lady who luvs cats would do something about it.

Yeah I really admire people who volunteer to take in animals from shelters that shall we say....relaxes cats. I've been thinking about volunteering at....The Friendship place...(I think that's what it's called.) :?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:53 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
This weekend I am going to the animal shelter and considering adopting a third cat. I have had my current two for 5 years.

How many cat are too many for you? How many cats would be your maximum?

These are ones they have at the shelter

the cats on that site are great,am would hate to go to a sanctuary as would find it very hard to get one cat and leave the rest,they all deserve a home.

am would say no limit,am would really like to live in a res. home full of cats,am would need a lot of help with just one cat which would get,but not allowed any here,if am was,there would be a maine coon here right now.

when am lived at home [with family],there were loads of ex stray and ferral cats,and that was all due to am getting them in,dad would say 'oh no no no.....not another cat no way' and then months later,he'd be holding it in his arms like a baby.

am have an aunt who lives in white haven/cumbria [who mum always suspects as having aspergers],and mum said she has got around twenty cats,they are all strays and she takes them in and feeds them,she gets no funding though some locals give her tins of food,they dont all go in the house [some are too ferral],so she's not like one of those who gets shown on 'a life of grime' for having a house full of inbred unneutured cats and cat poo.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Lavos
Raven
Raven

15 May 2008, 3:56 pm

As long as you have enough room for them and have time to shovel out their sh*tboxes, having multiple cats isn't that big of a deal.

The problem with having a lot of cats is making sure they all get along. Some cats that are perfectly friendly to people turn insane on other cats. I have four cats but can't get another because one of my cats hates all other cats and managing cat fights is a problem.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 3:58 pm

meow

I can't have any cats, I live with a cat hater, whom especially hates the neighbour's cat

I think 3 is enough cats, more can be a real handful

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:10 pm

our house must be cursed, we have 4 cats outside and three adult cats and six kittens inside, BUT we will soon be ridding ourselves of these cats, except two.

but for the main question I think only one or two cats is tolerable.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2008, 4:15 pm

Go get ALL the cats!! They're all so cute and precious!!

We have 2 black cats, Peter and Paz, and we love them!

Paz was a 5 wk old feral that we took in. He was quite the little stinker! He hauled an entire chicken breast off a plate and into the bathroom to eat it. :lol: He's rather standoffish.

Peter is the offspring of a stray that a friend took in. He's a giant affection hog.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2008, 5:25 pm

My preference is 2 cats. My maximum is 4 cats. I currently have 6 cats.

Long story short, I adopted Tommie and Nikki from a shelter. A few years later a stray kitten hopped on my shoulder and started nibbling on my ear. I dare anyone to say no to that. He was living in my house within a week. While I was still in denial a second kitten also showed up and started eating the food I was leaving out. I continued to feed her and eventually she grew on me. I named her Rei and let her in too a few months later thinking that would be it.....turns out she was pregnant with Smokey and Sidney. I tried to find homes for the two strays and babies, but no one was biting.

It's really not that difficult to care for that many. Cats pretty much take care of themselves. They're young and healthy, so the vet bills are basically getting them their yearly shots. I'm more embarrassed by being a crazy cat lady than I am harrassed by the cats themselves.