Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 8:21 am

Did any of you guys go to prom? The reason why I'm asking is because is it friendly for autistics or is it too crowded and loud from your experiences if any of you went.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

i kind of went.
well. junior prom i acted to my parents like i went but then...didn't make it...lol.
and i went for real, but briefly, to senior prom.

i didn't get into it like how people do, buying expensive outfits, having a specific date, spending a lot of time on appearance.
the actual prom was loud and crowded and i don't like dancing to popular music like they play.
i don't think it is friendly for autistics in general, but that might be different if you have a nice date, especially if they are into it.

i made note that all of the girls my senior year had red/purple/blue/silver dresses. no green/yellow/orange/gold. not one girl, even me. i was under an impression that maybe the strange color scheme was brought about by the year's "popular styles" i was not aware of, but my friend and i both bought thrifted dresses and still ended up in purple and red respectively.
i don't know.
being that this is the most noteworthy thing about my senior prom, it's safe to say i did not have much fun.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:19 am

I went. I wore a beautiful dress, had my makeup, nails, and hair done at a salon, and went with a friend from another school. My female friends and I pooled our money and hired a limo to take us and our dates to the door. I had a really good time.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:23 am

Yeah after I bought my tux on Saturday after my girlfriend telling me that she's going with me. Now she said that her overprotective father might not even let her. What the heck?! I just spent a lot of money on a tux. I think it's freaking ridiculous! If she can't go. I have to find someone that wants to go or going anyways at the last minute. Or I just won't go if I can't find anyone. Because it probably would suck just myself.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

I went to prom and spent most of my time outside in the smoking area (I do NOT smoke) because it got too loud on the dancefloor for my liking.

I also wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of having to wear a dress. I would have worn a tux if I had my own way.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:49 am

Quote:
Yeah after I bought my tux on Saturday after my girlfriend telling me that she's going with me. Now she said that her overprotective father might not even let her. What the heck?! I just spent a lot of money on a tux. I think it's freaking ridiculous! If she can't go. I have to find someone that wants to go or going anyways at the last minute. Or I just won't go if I can't find anyone. Because it probably would suck just myself.

That happens. Sometimes the young lady herself is able to prevail. I've also seen another approach- the young man presenting himself to the father and stating his intentions. That generally works best with a resume and letters of support. Think of it like a job interview.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 12:08 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
I went to prom and spent most of my time outside in the smoking area (I do NOT smoke) because it got too loud on the dancefloor for my liking.

I also wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of having to wear a dress. I would have worn a tux if I had my own way.

A smoking area at school? I thought tobacco objects were outlawed on school property.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 12:09 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Quote:

That happens. Sometimes the young lady herself is able to prevail. I've also seen another approach- the young man presenting himself to the father and stating his intentions. That generally works best with a resume and letters of support. Think of it like a job interview.

So as the young man. Do you mean me?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

NO. :x

Just going to regular school dances was boring and lame. And I left high school after only two months because I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown from the constant bullying.

Proms are nothing but yet another reminder of how big of a loser you are. The pressure to wear fancy expensive clothes and have a date and all that "romantic" slop. Only in the fairy tales. There should be non-proms where you can dress casually and not need a date. But I'd find them boring and stressful too, because you're still expected to hang out with people and socialize.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

But I already bought a tux. And maybe my girlfriend won't go. But if she doesn't go. I don't want to go. For the same reasons what you guys just said. Never been. But from what you guys said. You guys had my thoughts on what I think it was going to be. But if I tell my grandparents that. They'll probably or assumely be like that's ridiculous and start yelling and arguing with me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 3:21 pm

I did not go and had no desire to.
I remember the theme song "Color My World" by Chicago from a prom I did not go to 42 years ago. Weird

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

Update about me and prom. I might not be going now. And its all too do with my girlfriend's dad. On Thursday she said that her dad said that she could go to prom with me. Then this morning she told me that now he doesn't know if she can go or not. What?! Why? I already ordered my tux. And me and my grandparents both are frustrated at her parents.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 5:13 pm

Quote:
So as the young man. Do you mean me?

Yes.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 3:49 am

They call it a school ball in Australia. I never went because 1. I would have had to wear a dress. And 2. I was failing school anyway.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 7:34 am

Another update again about prom. I'm not going. My girlfriend's dad now won't let her go. And I don't want to go alone. So I'm not going and hopefully get's the money back from the tux today.