Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:08 am

Do you have a favourit martial art or similar? Something you think is way cool, or if you`re doing it, what do you like about it?

Is there a number one/the best its possible to agree is that? :)

I have a soft spot for drunken boxing - all about looking like you`re off balance and being able to fall on your face and get right back up. good nr. 2 would be Capoeira.
But would like to hear about other interesting things.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCME74nYq2M&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wmhTB9yKw[/youtube]

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 30 May 2008, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:31 am

Years ago I used to enjoy Jiu Jitsu and Kung Fu. I used to be in the Black Dragon Jiu Jitsu school when I was a student. Great times. More recently I joined a "standard" Jiu Jitsu class but the teacher frowned on some of the things I'd been taught. He was more angled to sport Jiu Jitsu and the Black Dragon school was more geared to practical ways of dealing with a bunch of thugs armed with knives in an underpass. Not been involved with it for a few years now.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 10:00 am

hm.. I wonder where JerryHatake is...

:)

I have a gut feeling he has something to say here.. :D

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 10:04 am

My favourite martial art is Tae Kwon Do.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 11:05 am

Tae Kwon Do is my favorite. I did lessons for three years when I was younger.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 12:17 pm

Well you're right I'm around and I'm saying Kumdo (The Way of the Sword).

Kumdo literally means "the way of the sword."

The present form of using a "juk do"(bamboo sword) and the "ho goo"(the protective gear) began around the 18th century. With the implementation of the "juk do" and the "ho goo", the art of Kum Do took a surprising change in its style. It allowed for more experimentation with minimum injuries, and the style became more effective by allowing stronger and deadlier blows without the extensive swing of the sword. The present form combines the inner strength, signified by a scream, "ki", the swing and striking of the sword "kum", and the use of one's lower back and body, the "chae", was recently perfected. This is known as the "ki-kum-chae."
In tournaments, one does not receive a point by only striking with the sword. The strike needs to be accompanied by all of the three components of the "ki-kum-chae."

In other martial arts, strength has an advantage in most cases. There is more advantage if one is fitter and stronger, than the opponent (of course giving consideration to certain level off expertise and experience). During a fight, one can come back after a hit, to win a losing battle.This is not the case for for Kumdo. In Kumdo, there is no second chance. If you receive a blow, the battle is over. Under this circumstance one's attitude and spiritual understanding of oneself is most crucial. The statement of "never underestimate your opponent" cannot be more true for Kum Do than anything else. Without the proper attitude and reverence to the art form, one opening for the opponent is all it takes to lose. Although combination of strength and speed plays a crucial role, one cannot master the art of Kum Do without the pure and unadulterated state of mind and soul.

The spiritual maturity, inner strength, calmness of the soul, and pure heart combined with strength and speed is the "essence" of Kumdo.

The Purpose of Practicing Kumdo

The purpose of practicing Kumdo is:
To mold the mind and body,
To cultivate a vigorous spirit,
And through correct and rigid training,
To strive for improvement of Kumdo,
To hold in esteem of courtesy and honor,
To treat others with sincerity,
And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.

Thus, one will be able:
To be a patriot of righteousness in the highest form,
To respect and honor one's parents,
To trust, honor and loyal to friends,
To perceive and never retreat from challenges,
And to respect all lives and living things.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeYR41F60ho[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhb7e8FD8Co[/youtube]

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 12:22 pm

"Jerry was a racecar driver, he drove so g** d*** fast.." hehe

Heard that tune? Listen to it quite a bit these days because of the "jerry" in your signatur.

..way, way off topic, lets get back to that

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 12:48 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
During a fight, one can come back after a hit, to win a losing battle.This is not the case for for Kumdo.

That is the essence of the (Black Dragon) Jiu Jitsu I was taught. As it was intended for practical self defence on the street rather than sport the instructor used to say:
1. If you can avoid a conflict situation do so.
2. If you can run away do so!
3. Use an appropriate level of response to an attack.
4. Be quick and decisive then get away.

So for example if someone is facing you with a knife, the first action is typically to break their leg at the knee. The guy on the floor in agony doesn't even get to know that you have any martial arts training before it is all over. Obviously you don't use this level of force for a trivial argument but the action should be swift and decisive enough to prevent the attacker from continuing his attack.

That is what I find amusing about a lot of these Hollywood martial arts fights, where people keep getting up off the floor again and again. In reality they'd be lying there after the initial contact nursing broken limbs or with a broken neck.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 1:10 pm

TallyMan wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
During a fight, one can come back after a hit, to win a losing battle.This is not the case for for Kumdo.

That is the essence of the (Black Dragon) Jiu Jitsu I was taught. As it was intended for practical self defence on the street rather than sport the instructor used to say:
1. If you can avoid a conflict situation do so.
2. If you can run away do so!
3. Use an appropriate level of response to an attack.
4. Be quick and decisive then get away.

So for example if someone is facing you with a knife, the first action is typically to break their leg at the knee. The guy on the floor in agony doesn't even get to know that you have any martial arts training before it is all over. Obviously you don't use this level of force for a trivial argument but the action should be swift and decisive enough to prevent the attacker from continuing his attack.

That is what I find amusing about a lot of these Hollywood martial arts fights, where people keep getting up off the floor again and again. In reality they'd be lying there after the initial contact nursing broken limbs or with a broken neck.

Yeah however Kumdo and Kendo (Same Thing) are more offense based than self-defense when I ask few Kumdo Club members at Mason. The Mason Club along with U.S. Hwa Rang Kwan Kumdo Institute are pretty known by now. Lol I just remember everyone at 07 William and Mary Tournament under estimated Mason because we train in Kumdo not Kendo (prove them wrong when they competed against us).