Thunder & lightning - thor & zeus

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 2:57 am

Anyone take/have nice pictures of lightning? I`ve always liked the thunder and lightning, almost got hit 2 times so far, a little to close for comfort. Not any good results with the pictures yet, but think it`s interesting.

Saw I guy from USA on tv the other day, that did this with an old-type camera. He had some breathtaking pictures, real nice.

If anyone wants to know how it feels like to sit on a bike next to a telephone pole thats torn to 1000 pieces right in front of you by lightning, I know :D now that was an experience, pieces of wood flew around me in every direction and landed as far as 90 feet away. Amazing that some of it didnt hit me really, I felt the airpressure as it went by me. Huge explotion, real nice. Wish I had a picture of that, that would have been something. It went down the pole and made toothpicks out of it, into the ground under the ditch and me, then it went under the road and up another pole on the other side and took that out to and left a big hole :D I know, it sounds so unbelivebal to stand in this, and it was. Everything that happened it crystal clear to this day, from the second it hit the first pole to the second after when it came out the other one :D time slowed down for a second. I soooo wish I had a picture or something. Great stuff. It was in august sometime, 1985 03.14pm And the sound.. It was one of the greatest sounds I`ve ever heard, and I dont meen the ka-boom I meen everything else but the ka-bom. And the air the first minutes after, unbelivebal, you could almost see the air and felt it really strong around you :D

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 12:53 pm

..No one else that like the lightning in the sky..? come on.... Just kidding :D thats ok, I know some also thinks it scary, with good reason.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 2:01 pm

Wow! That sounds like something more than I would ever want to experience. 8O

I also love lighting. Though I've tried many times I've never been able to get a good lightning photograph. It's such a pain because it always rains into the lens. Plus I don't have a tripod so I have to set my camera on top of things. It would be nice to have some kind of rig I could set up inside my car to keep the lens dry.

I have my own lightning story in this older thread here.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt65643.html

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 2:40 pm

marshall wrote:
Wow! That sounds like something more than I would ever want to experience. 8O

I also love lighting. Though I've tried many times I've never been able to get a good lightning photograph. It's such a pain because it always rains into the lens. Plus I don't have a tripod so I have to set my camera on top of things. It would be nice to have some kind of rig I could set up inside my car to keep the lens dry.

I have my own lightning story in this older thread here.

Hello :) as I understand it one really need a tripod and something to cover yourself and the camera a little, gets a lot easier. The guy on tv used a old regular type camera, the ones you pull the next picture forward with your finger and regular film. He also used a wire to the camera with a button he pushed to take the pictures, so he could stand back and just "feel" the sky. Then he had to push almost on instinct to catch it just as it happens. Cant rememeber his name, but he was the biggest in usa on this I think. Beautiful, beautiful pictures. Stunning.

My experince, would I do it again? If I was guaranteed the same outcome, in a heartbeat. Yes please :D In fact, I would do it every morning before breakfast :D it was superb.

..With no guarantee on the outcome? No way man, no way, I`m so outta here, Nope. Not for 100,000$ I could easily end up with a permantent wood piercing through my skull, and that would be in the way if I want to read :D

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 2:49 pm

Oh there are few people here who have their storm stories, on some other threads, I have have a few close calls myself with lighting, and have been though 2 tornado's

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:08 pm

spudnik wrote:
Oh there are few people here who have their storm stories, on some other threads, I have have a few close calls myself with lighting, and have been though 2 tornado's

ooo would love to see a tornado, at a safe distance (or smack down in the middle of it or to near in a reinforced-steel-something reeeeally hard space tech stuff, and really good padding on the inside, strapt in, or maybe the Gforce gets to tuff..). Only seen them on tv from usa, horrific damage they can cause. Here we only have some dust-devils that rise up to 30-40 feet at the most and doesn`t do much. The kind of thing kids run into for fun.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:14 pm

The lightning is trying to lure you back, so it can finish the job 8O

Its like a Lovecraftian ghoul, calling you night and day, Cthulhu Ftagn!! !!

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:34 pm

I have some storm pictures on this thread

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:36 pm

I love thunder & lightning, but I'm not sure I'd like it that close!! 8O (That does sound like was really really cool, though. :D ) It's like a big stage play in the sky with great sound effects (ultimate bass).

BTW, could you see and hear OK afterwards?

One time I got to see lighting jumping between clouds at night from an airplane.

For the guy photographing, maybe he was holding the shutter open until some lighting happened -- might work if it's a dark enough night.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:42 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
The lightning is trying to lure you back, so it can finish the job 8O

Its like a Lovecraftian ghoul, calling you night and day, Cthulhu Ftagn!! !!

oh.. didnt think about that :D maybe I`ll just keep indoors.. (as if that helps) :)

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:46 pm

spudnik wrote:
I have some storm pictures on this thread

Nice.. Liked them all, especially nr. 4 from the top and the red car in the river of ice :)

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:50 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I love thunder & lightning, but I'm not sure I'd like it that close!! 8O (That does sound like was really really cool, though. :D ) It's like a big stage play in the sky with great sound effects (ultimate bass).

BTW, could you see and hear OK afterwards?

One time I got to see lighting jumping between clouds at night from an airplane.

For the guy photographing, maybe he was holding the shutter open until some lighting happened -- might work if it's a dark enough night.

Yes, eyesight was as it should be, but had a ringing in my ears for about 30 minutes. Like after a primus concert :D I think you might be right with the guy and the shutter-thing. He was one of few that did it that way I think in this day and age, but was very happy with it. And the pictures spoke for themselves.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:19 pm

Here's Lightening

Here's Lightening and a Tornado!! ! 8O

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:22 pm

Wow, found myself holding my breath while looking at picture nr. 2 :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:29 pm

My ultimate obessesion are that of Tornados. I was watching one from a distance and I couldn't even move... 8O

Last edited by MissConstrue on 27 May 2008, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:36 pm

^ 8O Did you take those photos?

Those who know, don't speak.