Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 6:57 pm

^ I never heard of a double barrel semi-auto. 8O That thing must be a beast. 8)

Those who know, don't speak.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

31 May 2008, 7:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Here's a few pics of my stuff:

Nice collection Dox47, you seem to have all the niches filled. :D

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:33 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
^ I never heard of a double barrel semi-auto. 8O That thing must be a beast. 8)

Put eight 12" slugshells in it, and you might stop a couple of cars thats
trying to run you over without having to move much :) makes a hole about
the size of your head. Sold it a long time ago.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:03 am

Raptor wrote:
Nice set of hardware. Is that a CZ-52 In the upper left corner near the butt of the AK? I have two of those and I’ve always liked that sinister Warsaw pact look that they have to them. They’re fun to shoot sometimes but not very ergonomic. The grips on yours look like they’re black and all the other ones I’ve seen so far are brown.
What caliber is the Desert Eagle?
Also, how do you like that Kel-tech? I’ve contemplated getting one since they’re so compact that I can just stick one in my pocket. I prefer my Glock 23 but it’s still kinda bulky even though it’s supposed to be a compact pistol. It ends up staying under the seat of my truck more than on my person.

That is a CZ52, I got it cheap and it's a blast to shoot. I like the delayed blowback design, since it can handle the Czech SMG ammo, loaded to 1900 fps, sort of a poor man's FiveseveN, which I also have in that picture. I actually have sold mine since this was taken, the ammo just got so expensive and I didn't have that much use for the gun.

The Desert Eagle is a .44 mag, the only reason I went with the .44 is that the ammo is cheaper and more readily available than the .50AE. The DE was a 21st birthday present from my mom, how cool is that?

I like my Keltec a lot, I always carry it as a back up, and sometimes alone when it's really hot out. I had to do a little work on it when I got it, since the magazines had an unfortunate tendency to pop out, but it's been perfectly reliable since then. I carry it loaded with powerball .380s, since the ball in hollow point design feeds so reliably. It came with a spare mag, which is the same size as a pack of gum, and usually rides in my watch pocket. If I feel the need, I sometimes transfer the Keltec to my front pocket with a pocket clip, so I can have it in my hand without being obvious. It's a good choice for people who live in hot climates, and can't get away with hiding a lot of gun.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 3:32 pm

velodog wrote:
Tohlagos wrote:
I would also like to try shooting a 20mm cannon, but I will dream on. :)

The Lahti 20mm is badass, totally smoking the 50 BMG, I hope you acheive your dream Tohlagos, it's a good one. :thumright:

Thanks! :)

I would also enjoy trying a flame thrower and a mortar. Probably should have gone into the Army or Marines instead of the Air Force.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I've got a couple of little projects going at the moment. I'm doing some clean up work on a neighbor's shotgun, he shortened the barrel a little too much, so I brazed on an extension to bring it up to legal length. I went ahead and used a pre-threaded piece of tubing to make the extension, so it's possible to screw on a muzzle break or something. Not something you often see on a shotgun, so it was kind of a fun project.

I also have an absolutely bone stock Rock Island Arsenal M1911A1 that is mine that I'm tinkering with a little. I'm currently keeping it pretty stock, just cleaning up some of the internal machining marks and such. It's accurate and reliable enough out of the box that I don't really feel the need to do much too it, other than the obligatory throat and polish on the feed ramp and chamber mouth so that it handles hollow points. I'm trying to be subtle with this one, since I do carry it, and gun mods can be a lawsuit magnet if you have to use the gun. Same thing with the ammo, I do reload, but I stick to commercial stuff for carry, since some attorney will try to say you loaded some ultra lethal anti thug bullet for the express purpose of maiming their felonious client if you pop him with a handload. Now the 200 grain +p hollow points I bought over the counter, those are perfectly okay...

I've also got a couple of rebluing jobs to do, though I'm in the middle of acquiring the equipment to do that right. Bluing is not difficult, but it takes some really nasty chemicals heated to high temperatures, and a lot of metal prep gear. The prep work is the hard part, the bluing itself couldn't be easier. I'd love to get some nickel and chrome plating equipment eventually, though I really don't know too much about what goes into that. I hear that the new electroless nickel is really easy to do, but again I don't know a whole lot about it. My Desert Eagle is nickel plated, and I really like the look of it, so I'd love to apply that finish to a couple of my handguns. My Smith and my Tangfoglio 10mm are desperately in need of refinishing, and I think either one of them would look great in nickel. For a carry gun, nickel has one sort of humorous advantage over bluing; it makes the gun look bigger! It's true, a shiny gun looks bigger, and thus more intimidating. It does make it slightly more prone to casual observation, so thats the trade off.

First off, this was great to read, thanks for sharing!

I got a couple of questions.

The muzzle break on the shotgun project; how effective do you think that will be? I mean it will slow down whatever your shooting, and I can see it effecting buckshot, but how about slugs?

You are right about using reflective qualities for intimidating. Anything that helps catch the eye will force someone to think about what they are looking at and then in the heat of the moment take it for more than what it is. Do you think that a bright color, say red or green could also have an effect? They may not make the pistol look "cool," but for just the intimating factor is there some warrant?

Do you prefer working/tinkering on rifles, or pistols?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:13 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Quote:
The Desert Eagle is a .44 mag, the only reason I went with the .44 is that the ammo is cheaper and more readily available than the .50AE. The DE was a 21st birthday present from my mom, how cool is that?

That’s cool as s**t! :D
I’ve got a coupe .44 mags but not a DE. Mine are S&W and Ruger. I've only got to try a DE in .44 mag and another in .50 AE. Both where a hoot.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:16 pm

Tohlagos wrote:

Quote:
I would also enjoy trying a flame thrower and a mortar. Probably should have gone into the Army or Marines instead of the Air Force.

You could have gone into AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command) and done that.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
Tohlagos wrote:
Quote:

You could have gone into AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command) and done that.

Yeah, those guys. heh :D

After basic they offered anyone the chance to getting into the forward air controllers and a few a few other things. I was 18 at the time and well, didn't want to. 20 years later, I wonder if I could have done differently, but it all worked out.

Still want to shoot a mortar. :P

CA_NES
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:23 pm

I love shooting, I like the kick from a 12 gauge. Still, my favorite gun is the Tec 22 Scorpion.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:08 am

Tohlagos wrote:
I got a couple of questions.

The muzzle break on the shotgun project; how effective do you think that will be? I mean it will slow down whatever your shooting, and I can see it effecting buckshot, but how about slugs?

You are right about using reflective qualities for intimidating. Anything that helps catch the eye will force someone to think about what they are looking at and then in the heat of the moment take it for more than what it is. Do you think that a bright color, say red or green could also have an effect? They may not make the pistol look "cool," but for just the intimating factor is there some warrant?

Do you prefer working/tinkering on rifles, or pistols?

A muzzle brake does not actually slow down the projectile, it traps some of the expanding gas coming out of the muzzle. The purpose is to jerk the gun forward, in order to offset some of the recoil, at the cost of a louder gun. A recoil compensator directs some of the gas straight up, in order to combat muzzle flip. The two are often combined, although certain semi autos cannot work with a muzzle break, because they rely on barrel movement to function. To answer your question, shot or slug should work equally well with a brake, most brakes actually function best with higher pressure ammo, that should be the only performance determinant.

I don't think that a colored handgun would be more intimidating, quite the opposite in fact. Many people might mistake it for a toy, and then you may have to fire a warning shot, which isn't always legal. There was a big snit about this from NYC mayor Bloomberg, resulting in the Bloomberg Collection as retaliation from a gun paint company. With a shiny pistol, the reflectiveness makes it look bigger and thus more intimidating, which you don't get from a colored pistol.

I like rifles and shotguns, but I love pistols. Most gunsmithing is done on long guns though, as they are generally easier to modify. Long guns are more often used for hunting, so they tend to get damaged more often as well.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

Cool Dox. I like how you explain things, very clear. You make sense. :)

Thought of another question for you (hope you don't mind).

How long did it take you to get your degree (or is it certification) in gun smithing?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:27 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
Cool Dox. I like how you explain things, very clear. You make sense. :)

Thought of another question for you (hope you don't mind).

How long did it take you to get your degree (or is it certification) in gun smithing?

No problem at all, I try to avoid jargon and attempt to write in a way that someone who knows nothing about the subject can understand. I find that to be more effective at disseminating knowledge, and puts people who might otherwise be intimidated at ease.

As far as being a gunsmith, in my case it is actually a degree. There are a number of mail order and internet certification courses, but they really don't give you the same training as actually working on the guns does. I got my degree from the Colorado School of Trades, and it's a two year (AS) degree in occupational studies. It takes fourteen months of schooling to receive it, you're in school for eight hours a day four or five days a week. I had a bit of friction with one member of the staff, after I proved him wrong in a matter involving an inertially operated shotgun, a Benelli M1 Super 90. He dinged me a grade point for no documenting a gas port that didn't exist, so I got into a huge fight and proved him wrong in front of witnesses, it was pretty ugly. Typical for an aspie, even in gun school I didn't get along with teachers...

To clarify though, my instruction in school was several months each of learning to use basic tools like files and grinders, a machine shop class with welders, lathes and mills, a stocks class to learn woodworking, a design and function class that was longer than any of the others, where you fix guns that people bring to the school for inexpensive repairs, and a specializing period where you do projects of your choice. It was fun, but it was also infuriating at times, since the man that owned the place obviously ran the school as a business, and it showed. I don't think there is a better completely guns school in the country though, so I'd still have to recommend it if gunsmithing is a career you are considering.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

02 Jun 2008, 11:34 pm

While working the Gun Show at the Vallejo Fairgrounds on Saturday a man showed up with an Iver Johnson TP22 (their knock off of the Walther TPH) LNIB that was unfired. I was able to buy it for a total cost of $190.00 and will pick it up on the 11th. It looks and feels like a good quality pistol and I am looking forward to shooting it. :D After strong discipline and not buying anything for 6 months I have now bought two pistols, this and the Ultra CDP II within a week. Now I have to get back to excercising self discipline.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:08 am

velodog wrote:
While working the Gun Show at the Vallejo Fairgrounds on Saturday a man showed up with an Iver Johnson TP22 (their knock off of the Walther TPH) LNIB that was unfired. I was able to buy it for a total cost of $190.00 and will pick it up on the 11th. It looks and feels like a good quality pistol and I am looking forward to shooting it. :D After strong discipline and not buying anything for 6 months I have now bought two pistols, this and the Ultra CDP II within a week. Now I have to get back to excercising self discipline.

I've always wanted a TPH, but every time I see one they want a fortune for it. I just think it's a neat looking little pistol, since I've always liked the looks of Walthers. You'll have to keep me informed about how the Iver Johnson version performs, if it works out I may have to consider getting one.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

03 Jun 2008, 9:03 pm

I'll try ro keep that in mind and let you know Dox47, the only Walther PP type experience I have is with my friends circa 1980s stainless interarms 380 PPK which I like. I do own a Baikal IJ 70 in 9 Mak that I bought a slide with 3 dot sights for from Makarov.com back in 98, so I already know that I like the platform. Two WP members have expressed interest in shooting together sometime and I am sure that we will work that out soon. :D