Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:57 pm

is anyone else here obsessed with cars? i see a lot of people interested in biology, anime, things i've never heard of, etc. but i have yet to see someone interested in cars.

i also haven't seen anyone obsessed with rowing, but that doesn't surprise me.

rekoil
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2008, 4:06 pm

Cars in general or specific things about them? I own a 2001 Impala, and I've become quite an expert on things I'm going to do to it when I get home to make it work more effeciently/effectively.

Last edited by rekoil on 06 Jun 2008, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:10 pm

cars in general. i was obsessed with them for a long time but now i don't really have new material readily available to me so i can't learn new stuff easily. i'm more interested in engines than the rest but i know enough that finding new reading material is difficult. i'm lacking in knowledge about suspensions so i'd like to get myself a good book about them at some point but i don't really have the time or money for that right now, thanks to work and rowing.

rekoil
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2008, 4:21 pm

Do you just plan to learn about it and how it works, or are you going to be getting into taking stuff apart? What about the engines has caught your interest so far?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:22 pm

When I was about twelve or thirteen, I knew this one kid my age at church who knew just about everything about cars! I know a decent amount about cars compared to most girls my age, so I think that's pretty interesting as well.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:23 pm

I'm only interested in sports cars. I could care less about non-sports cars. My favorite sports car would have to be the Corvette.

I love Corvettes:

They don't just look nice, they are also gutsy as hell.

rekoil
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2008, 4:42 pm

Corvettes are the only American made supercar.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:46 pm

rekoil wrote:

You forgot about the Dodge Viper. They suck though. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic, they really do suck)

I've never personally driven one, but they always get AWFUL reviews. Poor steering, mediocre suspension, mediocre breaks, unbearably loud... Gutsy as hell though. They also LOOK nice. That's probably why most people actually buy them, for their looks.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:53 pm

I like old cars. I like going to car shows. I really want to own a vintage hearse some day!!

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:57 pm

Yeah the hearse was my favorite :D
I also like Model T's I don't know why but they're awesome along with most 50's cars and that design :D

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:00 pm

There are practical reasons for owning a hearse if you have to drive long distances regularly - plenty of room for sleeping, and they come out-fitted with curtains and a fan so you can be cool and have your privacy while parked. 8)

rekoil
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2008, 5:01 pm

pat666rick wrote:
rekoil wrote:

You forgot about the Dodge Viper. They suck though. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic, they really do suck)

I've never personally driven one, but they always get AWFUL reviews. Poor steering, mediocre suspension, mediocre breaks, unbearably loud... Gutsy as hell though. They also LOOK nice. That's probably why most people actually buy them, for their looks.

I sure did, didn't I. I haven't driven one, but I've gone for a ride in one. Semi-pro driver on a track. We did three other cars that day, and the Viper was the only one that got squirrely on him.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:02 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
There are practical reasons for owning a hearse if you have to drive long distances regularly - plenty of room for sleeping, and they come out-fitted with curtains and a fan so you can be cool and have your privacy while parked. 8)

That they do :twisted: They also look cool and sleek with that long body :D the one in the pic anyway :wink:

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:24 pm

rekoil wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
rekoil wrote:

I sure did, didn't I. I haven't driven one, but I've gone for a ride in one. Semi-pro driver on a track. We did three other cars that day, and the Viper was the only one that got squirrely on him.

i don't know much about the new one but the problem with the older models was that they had ancient frigging suspension technology in them. they had lots of power, sounded great, and looked better, but throw them into a turn and they'd either go straight or spin (exaggeration, but you get the point).

and you wouldn't want to leave out the other american super cars like the GT40 (despite not being able to make a round trip anywhere) and the saleen S7.

and I'd really like to actually build stuff, design stuff, take stuff apart, but i don't have the time or the money right now. I plan on joining the formula SAE team at my school this year though. formula sae is a competition where you build an open wheel race car from scratch, then race it. the premise is that you're an automotive company trying to design a car for the weekend racer so you have to do all kinds of things like marketing plans, tech ex's, etc. and the winners are decided based on the highest combined score from all the different areas (position in the endurance race, fuel economy, price, marketing, production cost, etc.).
rekoil wrote:
What about the engines has caught your interest so far?

oh you really don't want to get me started on that or i'll never stop hahaha. i find so many things about them fascinating, the way they work, the different designs, the SOUNDS. some day i'd like to try to build a turbocharged motorcycle engine with alcohol injection.... and stick it in a go kart. (suicide, i know, but a guy's got to dream right?) I'd also like to build a ridiculously powerful diesel engine, as well as a custom built roadster, just to prove to all the north american non-believers (and they are many) that diesels can be fast, quiet, and efficient.
Lightning88 wrote:
I know a decent amount about cars compared to most girls my age, so I think that's pretty interesting as well.
well that's not to difficult :P. most of the girls i know who aren't in engineering with me probably couldn't even point out the engine if you popped the hood for them..... actually, even the ones i know in engineering couldn't do it.

edit: upon rereading my post i think that last line could come off as me being a jerk, which isn't the intent