Me and NobleExperiment hit Chaos Communication Camp 2007

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2007, 6:22 pm

Hey everybody,

Me and NobleExperiment went to the (one of the if not the) biggest hacker events in Europe, Chaos Communication Camp 2007. It was my first con, quite a surreal experience (imagine if you camped in the middle of nowhere with a thousand other computer geeks just like you, showing off your weird projects, exchanging knowledge, etc). Simply awesome. (I'm the guy on the right, NobleX is on the left. Note that we did plan it with each other, we met by accident.)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Sep 2007, 7:17 pm

So tell me a little more, hacker as in computer hacker? camps are cool.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:21 pm

k3w7

I'm jealous :)

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2007, 7:24 pm

Hacker is more of a general term here meaning tinkerer, technology hobbyist or do-it-yourselfer.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Sep 2007, 7:36 pm

oh gee wiz son awesome! personally i'd get distracted by anyone who was showing off there fiber optics 8O :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 8:05 pm

impeachgod wrote:
Hey everybody,

Me and NobleExperiment went to the (one of the if not the) biggest hacker events in Europe, Chaos Communication Camp 2007. It was my first con, quite a surreal experience (imagine if you camped in the middle of nowhere with a thousand other computer geeks just like you, showing off your weird projects, exchanging knowledge, etc). Simply awesome. (I'm the guy on the right, NobleX is on the left. Note that we did plan it with each other, we met by accident.)

awesome pix!

how did you know you were each other? I mean, did you guys know each other before you got there? Were you wearing your WP names and recognized them? How??

inquiring minds want to know!
Merle

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 10:48 pm

ask him some questions about himself. wow. you are cute.

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2007, 4:41 am

Quote:
how did you know you were each other? I mean, did you guys know each other before you got there? Were you wearing your WP names and recognized them? How??

Purely by accident. I was walking around camp the night before it officially started (I came one day early), and overheard some people talking about autism. I asked them, "Excuse me, but did you mention autism?" And NobleX answered, "Yeah, I have autism. And I asked, "Do you know about Wrongplanet?" And he answered, Yeah, "I'm NobleExperiment on the forums." The rest is history.

Quote:
wow. you are cute.

Why, thank you! Or were you referring to NobleX?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:09 am

You are from the Ukraine? Out of curiosity are you Romani?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:22 am

impeachgod wrote:
Quote:

Purely by accident. I was walking around camp the night before it officially started (I came one day early), and overheard some people talking about autism. I asked them, "Excuse me, but did you mention autism?" And NobleX answered, "Yeah, I have autism. And I asked, "Do you know about Wrongplanet?" And he answered, Yeah, "I'm NobleExperiment on the forums." The rest is history.

Quote:
wow. you are cute.

Why, thank you! Or were you referring to NobleX?

lol. nopes. i meant you. :P

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2007, 12:17 pm

Quote:

Oh no. I'm Vietnamese. I just live in Ukraine (my dad got a full college scholarship to Ukraine and decided to settle here, and raised his family here).

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 12:22 pm

impeachgod wrote:
Quote:

Oh no. I'm Vietnamese. I just live in Ukraine (my dad got a full college scholarship to Ukraine and decided to settle here, and raised his family here).

Ok gotcha. Yep I got you confused you are the one on the right. Makes sense now. No you don't look Ramani at all :D

I did think he could be Moari/Australasian, it turn out he is Samoan. I have this weird think of guessing different subgroups. I managed to guess correctly an Ethiopian guy on here. But for some reason I still pretty bad a recognising people I've met before.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 12:35 pm

impeachgod wrote:
Hey everybody,

Two very handsome young men! I am proud to have you as fellow Autistics!

Merle

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2007, 3:59 pm

Quote:

Actually, I'm not an autistic but rather a very nerdy NT. I once thought I was an aspie, but I now think I don't have it cuz I'm too socially able (aspergers is virtually unheard of in Ukraine so you can't go to a doctor). It doesn't matter anyway, we're all just nerds (case in point, if NobleX had never told me he was autistic, I would never have known. He was indistinguishable from the other nerdy NTs at camp.)

Long

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 4:11 pm

impeachgod wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I'm not an autistic but rather a very nerdy NT. I once thought I was an aspie, but I now think I don't have it cuz I'm too socially able (aspergers is virtually unheard of in Ukraine so you can't go to a doctor). It doesn't matter anyway, we're all just nerds (case in point, if NobleX had never told me he was autistic, I would never have known. He was indistinguishable from the other nerdy NTs at camp.)

Long

I am very socially skilled and able,too! It is like being a black belt in karate, you don't use it until you have to and just knowing you can makes you stronger. No one ever heard of Asperger's where I grew up, either and no doctors even have a clue where I live, now. I have hid with alternative new age ers and hippies before nerds came along, and I learned computers in 1987 and have been hiding out as a 'nerd' ever since!

Merle

NobleExperiment
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2007, 1:24 am

LOL. I look Trashed on that pic with impeachgod. lol. I think i was back to camp that morning from Berlin after an all-nighter with the Sweedish and Finnish campers at the CCC.

I remembered that photo like our photo below
http://www.esnips.com/doc/712543cd-ed90 ... 4/IMAG0123
was taken on the last day of the camp.

This is an another pic of me as a kid during an autistic telethon with the late great Dennis Weaver and my kindergarten teacher back in maybe 1984 or 83.
pretty awesome. As a kid, I was constantly monitored at UCLA, The Jay Nolan Center, The Harbor Regional Center, pretty much a lot of Autism centers before it got big in the mid 90's.

You may also notice i've worn my "walk now" windbreaker from the gullible folks at CAN who continue to call my mom for guidance and stuff. I wore my autism shirts as a joke at the hacker camp (i'm more of a do-it-yourselfer) and to bring understanding to the folks at the camp which in Europe was amazingly welcome. At DEFCON, my "cure autism now" t-shirt was rumored to piss NBC Chairman Bob Wright during the Dateline NBC undercover reporting fiasco that was supposed to be about hiring hackers and the story was pulled (so it might be seen again in an another format at CNBC world or Europe). it's just a rumor though, yet i got good marks from DEFCON about my shirt as an ironic joke against the likes of CAN or Autism Speaks.

Or, my "CAN" shirt at hacker cons and hacker camps is more of a "TAKE THAT" to Portia for calling my mom all the time when i was a kid or pre-teen. I still can't believe after reading that book "strange son", she'd annoy a mom for a "cure", but whateverz. I'll wear that t-shirt at conspicuous places like hacker cons and gun shows.

The camp was cool and awesome nonetheless and thanks to all the honeys who thought we are handsome devils ;)