Would you ever sleep if it was optional?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:00 pm

I find sleep particularly boring and wasteful but my body is weak. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. If you could avoid sleeping and not suffer any ill health, would you do it?

I occasionally enjoy sleeping but mostly its just one of the many irritations of being a meatbag. Like itching or defecating.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm

I am a hopeless insomniac and quite enjoy it most of the time. I would never sleep if my body could take it.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:07 pm

yes, if I could not sleep without any ill effects, I would(n't). There would have to be some down-time for the brain though to organize and dump irrelevant data. Maybe 2 hours a week?

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 10:09 pm

i like sleeping....and i think i appreciate it more since i have insomnia problems...

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm

yeah, there's something to be said for some restful sleep too. It's one of life's simple pleasures. That and taking a big dump.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:18 pm

Depends. Sometimes a day is so downright shtty that I have the urge to just go to freaking bed and deal the next day.

But there are some days where I feel pretty "jacked up" and ideas just will NOT stop flowing from my brain that I wish a day was twice as long and the sun would just stay down so I can THINK through everything. The 5 minutes before bed will often times last HOURS, and I enjoy that feeling and prolonging it.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:23 pm

Too many fascinating things to experience in life, so why waste time on sleeping? It is a necessary evil, I would skip it if it were not medically necessary. I sleep quite few hours though, in weekdays often no longer than 5 or 6 hours per night, sometimes less. Only in weekends I sleep a bit longer sometimes. I sleep quite deep though, thanks to Seroquel which serves as a sleeping pill perfectly, I somehow hardly sleep without it.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:29 pm

I would sleep every so often. Such as is I where mad, or in class

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:44 pm

I might occasionally, but for the most part, no. I often am up late, manically doing something. I go to bed knowing that I will be immediately back at it when I wake up. So sleeping is an unwelcome necessity.

Etoile_Estrella
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 10:54 pm

I like to sleep when I'm bored or lonely. Also, just laying peacefully in bed and drifting off to sleep is nice...it's when my mind gets free time to roam and imagine, and I think it's helpful because I can plan out things that will happen in the future, like if I have a big presentation coming up, without having to worry about time.

That said, sometimes being tired is really inconvenient. I get tired at like 10pm, so when everybody wants to party, I'm the old fuddy-duddy that wants to go home. I have hypothyroidism AND I'm clinically depressed, so when I don't take my medication I sleep for 14-15 hours a night, and even when I do it's normally 9-10 hours. I would LOVE to be able to pull an all-nighter like all the other college kids!!

No fortune did I seek
Remember, remember, remember
Us buried in the deep

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

I love to sleep because I don't get enough of it. So the answer would be no, I would still sleep if it were optional.

Where else would I get to see myself living in a huge house where I end up lost every night before bed? It sure as heck wouldn’t be in real life.

rekoil
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 11:10 pm

If it were up to just what I felt at the time most nights I wouldn't go to sleep and most days I wouldn't wake up.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 11:29 pm

I would still sleep. Sometimes I have nothing better to do. :roll:

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 11:58 pm

I like dreaming and a good night of sleep is a beautiful thing. If it were optional I'd probably still sleep most nights. Though I'd definitely stay up others, like when I really don't want the day to end and don't feel like sleeping, which isn't very often.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

09 Aug 2008, 12:16 am

I would rather sleep. Very good for your body.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Aug 2008, 12:51 pm

i love sleeping, i'd do it all day if i wasnt exercising or being a rockhound