How would you feel about an apocalyptic situation?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 3:09 pm

I've been thinking about this recently and I don't think the collapse of civilisation as we know it would bother me too much. The idea of surviving on my wits alone excites me a lot more than our safe and utterly controlled existence at presence. How would you feel if our governments collapsed, energy supplies broke down and our agricultural system collapsed?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 5:07 pm

I have always believed the end of humanity will be a breakdown in society. If I lived out in the middle of nowhere, like I used to, I think I could survive and handle it well. However, I currently live in a very populated area...I would be screwed.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 6:02 pm

surviving tip #1 get a shotgun and lot of ppl because there will be riots
#2 listen radio and try find out how long reptairing takes there has always ways to get energy
#3 wait for all nt,s stop running around
#4 take a beer and relax

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 6:08 pm

I would head for the Yukon, because of the natural resources, wood, wildlife, and hardly any people.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 7:59 pm

wait are u ppl talking about zombies?

subalternnavert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 10:05 pm

Well, I own guns, metalworking tools, and can make alchohol as well as old technology.

I'm good.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm

I'd kind of be bummed about an apocalyptic situation. I think it would be a real downer...

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm

^Captain Obvious Here^ :lol: :lol:

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 10:41 pm

Places I would go if the apocolypse arrived:
A Pacific Island (Micronesia, French Polynesia etc.)
Northern Canada
Jan Mayen
Kamchatka
South Sandwich Islands (that would suck)
Olympic Penninsula of Washington State

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 10:49 pm

anyone know how to make a spear?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:55 pm

I would survive. :twisted:

Those who know, don't speak.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:41 am

The collapse wouldn't bother me much either. The roaming mobs of people would though. I imagine there would be quite a few gangs, and that a military uprising could occur. Possible concentration camps formed and people imprisoned and enslaved by those better armed.

And any group with a few guns would be better armed than little ole me with a few guns, so I don't think I'd like it much. But it wouldn't be boring, that's fer sure. Terrifying and highly unpleasant is much more likely.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:17 pm

Gawds. I can't cut chicken straight, let alone saw straight or do gazillions of practical tasks that you'd need to survive in a post-apocalyptic earth. My only chances of survival would be to live in the woods and feed on the earth's natural resources: mushrooms, potatoes, nuts, wild rabbits and anything that looks remotely edible. It would be fun for a week or so but then I'd miss the internets. :?

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:53 pm

Most interesting topic. Some of my obsessions have had to do with alternative energy, specifically-solar power. Have actually built a functional solar collector, very small, but full of potential. The start of energy independence, right there, just need to figure out the generator... Weapons would be another necessity, and traps, obstacles, and surveilance. Would be an exciting proposition for sure, to plan for world's end, I've thought about it many times over.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:54 pm

I believe civilization will collapse in the near future, I just hope it waits until after the end of my lifetime to do so. I'd kind of like to have a nice retirement on some nice tropical beachfront property in Alaska with some people to play shuffleboard with and some nice restaurants to eat at. Having to defend my property with a shotgun all the time would get rather tiring, I think. Mind you, it would probably keep the kids off my lawn though... Anyway, if civilization does collapse, I would probably move out to some cabin out in the middle of nowhere and grow my own food and try not to interact with humanity too much. Hmm, odd, that's kind of what I was planning on anyway :P.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:59 pm

AnAlias wrote:
I believe civilization will collapse in the near future, I just hope it waits until after the end of my lifetime to do so. I'd kind of like to have a nice retirement on some nice tropical beachfront property in Alaska with some people to play shuffleboard with and some nice restaurants to eat at. Having to defend my property with a shotgun all the time would get rather tiring, I think. Mind you, it would probably keep the kids off my lawn though... Anyway, if civilization does collapse, I would probably move out to some cabin out in the middle of nowhere and grow my own food and try not to interact with humanity too much. Hmm, odd, that's kind of what I was planning on anyway :P.

Tropical in Alaska?

After global-warming?