Does it bother you when members try to be mods?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 2:46 pm

Strange question but no i dont hate people who act like there admins

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 3:51 pm

marieclaire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
What bothers me more is when moderators get involved in a debate as a participant and then try to fulfill their moderating duties on that thread, when there exists a clear conflict of interest. I think if they want to be involved as a participant, they should have to waive their mod status for that thread, and call in an uninvolved moderator if their is some sort of issue. This would feel much more fair to me, the current system feels very exploitable.

This type of situation annoys the hell out of me, but I can't say I have seen it on this forum.

I think posters should be free to express their thoughts, as long as it is done respectfully. So, I have no problem with someone trying to moderate in a heated discussion, or responding to disrespectful posters, or anything really, as long as people are respectful of each other.

Oh, I wasn't saying that there should be no moderation during a heated argument. What I object to is when one of the participants in said heated argument is a moderator, and if that same person then tries to step in it can feel biased because they have an interest in the discussion. I just recently had this happen, when I received a "warning" PM from a mod who was participating in an thread I was debating on, who was vociferously arguing against me. Not only was the "warning" extremely nit-picking in applying the TOS, it was rudely written and seemed to imply that I should leave the site. Even if that was how the mod normally operates, the fact that I was spanking them in a debate creates the appearance of a conflict of interest, hence my feelings that mods should not be able to moderate a thread in which they are participating. If they feel that moderation is in order, they can PM another mod to come look at the thread, that would be far more fair and honest.

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2008, 4:10 am

Sorry Dox 47, I didn't mean to imply anything about your post with my second paragraph. I was just agreeing with the point you made.
My second point wasn't related to anything you said in your post.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 4:15 am

Haven`t really thought about it.. So dont have much to say about
that. But you people better behave or i will come down on you with
a vengance :) j/k
i`m a mod (and an admin) in a couple of other places, its not such big a deal anyway,
just more work really, not the power-thing many associates with it. The
thing that bother me a little here, is that i dont know who the mods are.
Had a discussion with a member sometime ago, it ended bad and after
a while i recvied a pm. I thought "up yours buddy" and deleted it without
opening it. A little later a see the same guy answer yes to the Q; "are you
a mod here?" Imagine my surprise :lol: who picks the mods here anyway.
Why i dont know who the mods are? Its not made clear enough for me. They
have the same bla-bla singatures and avatars as the rest, not used to that.
I`m used to the mods making it clear they are mods in their profiles. The way
it is here, i can end up in an argument with a user, and suddenly i get the message
"i`m a mod here". Great, so make it clear to people that you are that then, from
the start, dont just mention it when someone gets you mad. I know Lau is a mod,
and to my huge surprise i recently discoreved that Quatermass also is a mod here.
Besides those two, I`m not sure. Have seen a MrMark, guessing he`s a mod also.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:05 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
^^So why do you read them then? Is it really hard to not click on the thread?

Did I say I clicked on the threads, its enough just reading some of the titles. Don't get Snarky!