Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:42 pm

sorry thats ment to interesting

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:45 pm

I'll try to translate...

"teresting i have an old dvd documentery of a few auther taklin abuot wheree the miths come from origanaly from and how the were formed it kinda interseting you know"

"Interesting. I have an old DVD documentary of a few authors talking about the origins of myths and how they evolved. It's kind of interesting, you know."

If that's what you really meant, then could you post the title of the DVD and the names of the authors that appear in it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:53 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
... A sweet lookn' kitteh who has been invited to a home. No one would ever suspect..

no wun evr suspex teh kitteh!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 9:56 am

Fnord wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
psychic vampires exist

Evidence, Please?

I'll file it right next to the Bigfoot photos...

Well here is a wiki page on it, also known as energy vampires. Cant realy get pictures as it is more conected to beliefs in spiritual energy and stuff, a bit is myth and a bit is modern fiction but there is modern belief in it as a type of spiritualy weak person who drains others spiritual energy. You probably could only get proof by talking to people who have met others, talking to people who are them/feeling it yourself.

Also there are cases of people have an ability called empathy, where they absorb the emotions of those around them. It is interesting as they are often good for makeing you feel better at times as they uncounciously absorb of negative emotions makeing others feel good and themselves feel terrible.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 10:23 am

^I saw some documentary about that where they suck the energy by a touch or something. Strange, if someone believed in that, then why make themselves out to be the victim?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 10:32 am

MissConstrue wrote:
^I saw some documentary about that where they suck the energy by a touch or something. Strange, if someone believed in that, then why make themselves out to be the victim?

Well I guess it is the Rogue sydrome, not being able to get close to people even touching for fear of harming them (X men character).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 10:37 am

Hahaha. Sounds like me except...I don't think I have it.. :pale:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 12:18 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
... it is more conected to beliefs in spiritual energy and stuff, a bit is myth and a bit is modern fiction but there is modern belief in it as a type of spiritualy weak person who drains others spiritual energy...

In a single word, "Faith" - you either believe or you don't. FYI, mere belief is insufficient evidence.

Bradleigh wrote:
Also there are cases of people have an ability called empathy, where they absorb the emotions of those around them. It is interesting as they are often good for makeing you feel better at times as they uncounciously absorb of negative emotions makeing others feel good and themselves feel terrible.

"Empathy" is no more than the ability to identify with the emotional state of others by using visual and auditory clues. It's an instinctive ability that most people are born with (psychopaths and sociopaths are the main exceptions; Aspies and Auties may also lack this ability). Such people do not "absorb" negative energy (no such thing, anyway), they merely have a knack for coaxing out the best in others - again through auditory and visual cues, as well as physical and eye contact.

Let me relate a story...

About 20 years ago, I attended a New Age convention with my cousin the "witch". After helping her set up her booth, I wandered around to check out the other hucksters. A young lady came up to me and asked what I was doing. After I told her why I was there, she said that her partner could not chi-up his chakra (or something like that) because I was drawing down his energy with my "dark energy". I thought about it for a moment, and then took out a tracking device I had been working on and clicked the switch. I asked her to check with her partner, and when she came back and said that everything was fine now, I told her that my "Psionic Cloaking Device" ( :lol: ) had been left on by mistake, and that I'd make sure to leave it off for her (it didn't have a battery in it, anyway...). She was very interested, and asked where she could get one. I told her that I could build one just for her, in exchange for cash, goods, or <*ahem*> "services" (never you mind what kind ... let's just say that she paid in full, :twisted: and then some...). By the end of the convention, I had ten more orders for similar devices, some extra cash in my pocket, and a few phone numbers, as well. I made enough cash to pay that month's rent, and did not lack for "companionship" for several weeks. The device itself was nothing more than an a pulsed RF oscillator driven by a watch battery.

And a follow-up...

A few years later, I ran into one of the people that had bought one of my devices. She gushed about how much her life had changed for the better since then, and how she kept it with her all the time to block "negative energy". Then I asked her how often she had to change the battery.

"Battery?" she replied. "What battery?"
8O

Morals to the story:

1) People are always seeking an easy answer to their (mostly imaginary) problems.

2) There's a "seeker" born every minute. :wink:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 12:38 pm

So have you had any supernatureal experiences Fnord, I wonder that if you have been around the new age stuff you would have heard of people claiming to have seen there Spirit guardians/ animal guides. I saw mine through meditation, I know how bad that sounds and I must be quite the "seeker" but it was one of the most amazing things I have ever felt, and it was not brought upon by someone else or clearly explained what it would be like. In that time I saw an animal I never realy thought about (black leopard/panther) and since then I have realised how many traits I share with it and how it has helped my life.

Faith is an importent thing, in the past it has often been regarded as science.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:23 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
So have you had any supernatureal experiences Fnord...

All the experiences I've had that others have claimed as "supernatural" on later investigation have turned out to be either naturally-occurring or outright trickery.

Bradleigh wrote:
I wonder that if you have been around the new age stuff you would have heard of people claiming to have seen there Spirit guardians/ animal guides.

I've heard many such claims. Most of the "sightings" were made after a person had been chanting, meditating, praying, or singing for quite a while. Others "saw their spirit guide" after they had fasted for a week or more. Some had the same experience after ingesting herbal concoctions, or inhaling smoke from burning those same herbs. Some were simply drunk or stoned. The rest were schizophrenic, and not only "saw" their spirit guides, but they "heard" them too.

Bradleigh wrote:
I saw mine through meditation, I know how bad that sounds and I must be quite the "seeker" but it was one of the most amazing things I have ever felt, and it was not brought upon by someone else or clearly explained what it would be like. In that time I saw an animal I never realy thought about (black leopard/panther) and since then I have realised how many traits I share with it and how it has helped my life.

Such a "vision" can be the result of a euphoric state brought on by hyperventilation, hypoxia, starvation, intoxication, or insanity. The supposition of a paranormal event is therefore pointless.

Bradleigh wrote:
Faith is an importent thing, in the past it has often been regarded as science.

Faith is nothing more than the irrational belief in concepts that defy provability, while science is based upon repeatably verifiable proof.

And never the twain shall meet.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

I love vampires. They are so awesome. <3

But, there is something that puzzles me about them, in four words: What about menstrual blood?

Sorry, I have a dirty mind and a lot of free time... :oops:

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 7:16 pm

lol, IdahoRose. Good point.

I always thought the phrase "psychic vampire" was just a metaphoric way of describing people who, intentionally or not, suck your energy. Basically a nasty new-age insult and a way of excusing yourself from an inconvenient situation by scapegoating the inconveniencer.

Fnord, I believe if it exists, it is natural. The "super" is, I guess, just a semantic tag added by people who believe in things no one has been able to explain yet. I believe there may be natural forces that cause some of the things that people attribute to the "supernatural" that science has not given attention to, or possibly has looked at the wrong way. I have a difficult time reconciling my hard-learned skepticism with my fascination for things such as Jungian psychology, intuition, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 7:45 pm

patternist wrote:
Fnord, I believe if it exists, it is natural.

If something has physical properties, then it exists.

patternist wrote:
The "super" is, I guess, just a semantic tag added by people who believe in things no one has been able to explain yet.

Both "Supernatural" and "Paranormal" are buzzwords used by ignorant people to label experiences that they have not enough knowledge of reality to explain. Instead, they rely on myth, legend, superstition, religion, fantasy, and outright falsehood to explain something that they just do not understand.

patternist wrote:
I believe there may be natural forces that cause some of the things that people attribute to the "supernatural" that science has not given attention to, or possibly has looked at the wrong way.

It is the people that have failed to give their full attention to scientific principles, or that have looked in the wrong places for their understanding who attribute ordinary events to "Supernatural" forces - People like Carl Gustav Jung.

patternist wrote:
I have a difficult time reconciling my hard-learned skepticism with my fascination for things such as Jungian psychology, intuition, etc.

Intuition is merely a natural mental ability that allows animals and humans to unconsciously reach a conclusion with the use of reason or conscious thought. As for Jung ... meh ... he dabbled too much in false sciences like alchemy and astrology, and played too much with fantasies like collective unconscious and synchronicity for me to believe much of what he wrote down.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 7:47 pm

in Stargate Atlantis, a race called the Wraith are supposed to be the source of vampire legends on earth. The Wraith evolved from a parasitic insect called the Iratus bug when the bug's DNA mixed with that of the humans they fed on. The Wraith are therefore humanoid insects, and the still need to feed on humans, though they are capable of feeding on one another. They have fangs, but they feed by slamming their palms (which have a'mouth' slit) onto a person's chest. The feeding process makes the victim look older before they die. The Wraith lack growth inhibitors in their cells, and are thus capable of rapidly healing and living as long as they can find food, eg 10,000 years.

My current av is a Wraith.

But they do not have me

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Intuition is merely a natural mental ability that allows animals and humans to unconsciously reach a conclusion with the use of reason or conscious thought.

Yeah, but it's cool.

Anyway, I think you know what I mean. I'm like Mulder's poster. I want to believe. It's just that I don't.

So for the time being, I'll settle for reserving my opinion while I gather information.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:33 am

Fnord you just make me laugh, I think it must be all the skeptisism. Actualy on a documentry I saw on the human brain, they found that intuition is often where there is a lot of information in your subconcous and with intuition a red light appears in your subconcous that something is not right. Such as a Fireman noticeing that the air movement in a fire is not right as that particular means that an expolsion may happen soon afterwards. But I choose to belive there is more to it, at times I am able to predict what will hapen, mostly happens in video games where I can predict what to do such as in a paper scizzors rock game. Now Fnord do your incredible Skeptic thing :lol: .