Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 7:46 am

Bradleigh, I think intuition like the "air is just not right" is sort of a quickly-integrated type of inductive reasoning. It's not failsafe but it is useful.

Apera, your wraith avvie looks like a catfish!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 10:54 am

patternist wrote:
Bradleigh, I think intuition like the "air is just not right" is sort of a quickly-integrated type of inductive reasoning. It's not failsafe but it is useful.

That's pretty much it. Just because most people are unaware of intuitive processes does not make intuition a supernatural phenomenon.

Video games are easy to predict, especially if you tend to play only one particular type. Your unconsious mind remembers that traps, powerups, switches, monsters, and clues are always located in certain places or after a certain sequence of actions have occurred. Once you encounter these conditions, your intuition kicks in and tells you that something is about to happen. Think of it as the background music in a slasher flick.

"Rock-Paper-Scissors" is equally predictable, especially if you always play it with the same people. For instance, your unconscious mind will notice that when a person plays paper, paper, rock, and then paper again, they are most likely to play scissors on the fifth round. Your own intuition then tells you to play rock.

Think of intuition as the BIOS in your computor; it reacts to interrupts without your intervention, and occassionally flags a warning that something requires your attention. Otherwise, it stays in the background and monitors conditions without you even being aware of it.

Nothing supernatural about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:12 am

I just meant that there is this minny game before I get into the actual game against the computer opponent where whoever beats the other in a game of Paper scisors rock gets to chose go first or second. I found that I have a much better chance of winning against the computer when I put my finger so it flashes between them so even if the computer could see my move they could not ptedict it. I might go back and forth and then when I think chose it at one time I have a beter then a 1 in 3 chance of winning, though maybe it is just that I have an uncany way at picking up the computers choices and pick the part by some uncouncous counting. But I have found at times that if I just use this random use of choice and then use my intuition I have a better chance, so much so that at times I dont do it just to have a change of pace.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:15 am

Unfortunately, you computer likely has no real means of generating a truly random choice. Thus, eventually, your unconscious mind will pick up on the pseudo-random pattern. Nothing supernatural there.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.