Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 11:40 am

A lady keeps calling my house asking for Charlie. now even if she thought this was Charlie's number, wouldn't the fact she's already been told it isn't 3 times coupled with the fact that no one she ever knows picked up, clue her in that this probably wasn't a number she could reach Charlie at.

She called around midnight last night complaining to Charlie about how he was trying to ignore her calls - Duh, of course he's not returning your calls. As I already told you, this isn't his number. From the rest of her message berating him it sounds as if he's her brother, so the strange voice on the answering machine should have helped her clue her in that she had the wrong number, even if she missed all the other warning signs.

This reminds me of when I first got this number. It used to belong to a company that went out of business a couple of years before, and people were calling at all hours of the day and night to get ahold of the business (for some reason the phonebook was still listing it as belonging to the business). I gave up on answering and calling the people back because they all responded to "This is a private residence. X company went out of business. I don't know anything about them, I just happened to be assigned their phone number" with "well what is the phone number then?" The one lady particularly drove me insane as she called multiple times and kept asking questions like "is it Tim's mom's number now then" If you know Tim, you know more than I do about this business, so why are you asking me.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:13 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I get visited by the same pair of Jehovah's Witnesses on a regular basis, even though I told them multiple times that I'm not going to join a cult that doesn't support alcohol consumption.

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2008, 2:31 pm

Sometimes I think I am the only person with common sense. Though everybody else says that I lack common sense but if they have none why should I listen to them. :?

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Oct 2008, 7:17 pm

"Some" people lol

The former things have passed away."

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 7:22 pm

It could just be someone messing with you.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:02 pm

Synth wrote:
It could just be someone messing with you.

50-60 year old women don't tend to call strangers houses repeatedly for pranks

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 8:10 pm

Senile? :lol:

Nachtus01
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2008, 4:37 am

Synth wrote:
Senile? :lol:

Senile..hmmmm, that would be more, "rational" :D

http://asirony.blogspot.com/

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:39 am

she might be suffering from senile dementia. Its a horrible condition and really sad. She probably thinks that YOU are indeed Charlie (whoever Charlie is) and isn't going to take no for an answer. My great uncle was convinced that people who had long since died were still alive.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:19 am

anna-banana wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. I get visited by the same pair of Jehovah's Witnesses on a regular basis, even though I told them multiple times that I'm not going to join a cult that doesn't support alcohol consumption.

The way to rid yourself of Jehovah Witnesses is to A. have a Christian friend come over and start asking them why they don't agree with the Bible.
B. Have a Christian friend give you some 'talking points' so you can ask them these questions.

Otherwise, they'll just keep coming back. They keep a list, you know.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:43 am

This thread was titled incorrectly. It should be "Most People Have No Common Sense! :x "

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:47 am

Trigger11 wrote:
This thread was titled incorrectly. It should be "Most People Have No Common Sense! :x "

:lol: :salut:

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2008, 10:50 am

anna-banana wrote:

Are you sure you've got the right religion? I know Jehovah's Witnesses who enjoy the odd glass/pint/beer. OVER consumption is unacceptable, however.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:52 am

I just received a call from Nigeria, from a fellow promising to hand over a large amount of illegal cash if only I would provide him with certain personal information. Unfortunately for him, my Caller ID is working just fine, and the authorities have been notified...

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 2:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
I just received a call from Nigeria, from a fellow promising to hand over a large amount of illegal cash if only I would provide him with certain personal information. Unfortunately for him, my Caller ID is working just fine, and the authorities have been notified...

:D

They actually called you! 8O

I've gotten a couple of E-mails like that, no one has called though. Wow. Bet that was fun.

Back on topic. I'm guessing senile dementia, or something equivalent. She may be even older than she sounds. Poor lady.

I'm sure it's a pain in butt though to listen to, and have to deal with. Frustrating.

-Walt Whitman

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 2:36 pm

I got several calls similar to this from an old lady shortly after moving to France. My French was very limited at the time but each time she called I did my best to tell her the person she wanted was not at this number and she has the wrong number. But she kept phoning over several weeks. In the end I gave up and just spoke English back at her. This confused her even more and she wanted to know why I was speaking English. Duh! I'm English!! ! Eventually someone else phoned, a younger woman, presumably on her behalf who spoke some English. It seems I had be allocated a phone number that previously belonged to this other person at some time - maybe even several years earlier. I think the old lady must have been somewhat senile or confused though not to figure this out.