Is it just me or are the toys getting lame?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

19 Dec 2008, 11:39 pm

The toys seem to be getting lamer and lamer as the years go by. I hate the new Littlest Pet Shop looks, I miss the Polly Pockets and I remember back when there used to be a lot of Barbie stuff, now there is very little on shelves. There used to be a whole section of them but not anymore. I also miss the Lite Brites, and the old Play Doh accessories but there seems to be less and all they make are the play mats for it and the cutters and the molds.

I miss the good old days. :(

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

I remember Blurp Balls and Savage Mondo Blitzers (from about 1991 or 1992).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:05 am

I haven't paid attention to the current toys the past few years since the few friends' kids I am around all play video games and nothing else. I did see the Ellen show the other day and she had one of the new talking Elmos with her and he seemed almost possessed.

I don't like the new Playdoh because its all neon colors, it feels different than the Playdoh I had in the 70's and it smells different. They also don't have cool sets like they used to like the Barbershop & haunted house. I don't know how collectible/valuable it is but I still have the original Bionic Woman playdoh playset minus the dough, but have all the molds, car, dough knife and plastic mat. I never owned a lightbrite because my mom thought all electrical toys were dangerous. The new wall lightbrite set looks neat though also kinda limited.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:08 am

Does anyone remember from the early 1990's Waterbabies craze there was a Waterbabies Ninja Turtle? I still want one.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:24 am

I remember seeing the commercials for Waterbabies, but never had any myself.

I did have the Ninja Turtles action figures, though.

In my personal opinion, the early 1990s stood out more than any other decade in terms of pop culture. Not really sure why, but they just did.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:36 am

I have some of the original Turtles action figures too. But what I'm talking about was a Waterbaby Ninja Turtle babydoll. You fill the baby turtle with warm water so it will feel like holding a real baby. I remember they made a Donatello one, not sure if they made all 4.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:41 am

I don't remember those.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:08 am

Oh, they're totally lame. If I'm ever lucky enough to have a child or two, I'm going to give them a TV-free childhood. That way, anytime they come in contact with a toy that's new to them, they should be able to see it for the lameness that it is, rather than a silly thing to show off or covet.

20 Dec 2008, 2:16 am

I remember the TMNT toys and the Mighty Maxs. Spokane has this place called the White Elephant and I loved that place because they sold old toys there from the 1990's and 1980's that have never been opened. Now they place is getting filled up with modern toy crap. Maybe they moved the older toys in the back that is blocked off and it has the sign Will Call on it. I was only in there once when they happened to be open and they had even older toys.

Time for ebay.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:52 am

I love being in antiques... I own one of the LiteBrite cubes, old Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Erector sets, find odd toys and collectibles like the original Planet of the Apes metal lunch box, a Mork pull-string doll and all my Transformers when I was a kid. The old metal toys from the first half of the 20th century are really interesting, the detail and quality of construction.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2008, 4:21 am

I agree. They have gotten worse. They used to be entertaining, but not restrictive, as in you could still you use your imagination.
Don't most children now days just sit inside and watch t.v?

Play-dough was awesome. I remember making my own play-dough, that was fun.

20 Dec 2008, 4:29 am

My aunt made some play doh one time for school. She is a special ed teacher and she made it for her students.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:26 am

I remember GI Joe and Transformers, those were the best.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:33 pm

It's mass marketing overriding uniqueness and creativity.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:49 pm

The problem with toys today is they are mostly made in conjunction with a cartoon show or movie so that kinda restricts the playability versus something just being a toy you have to use your imagination to play with.

20 Dec 2008, 3:46 pm

At least they still make the Etch N Sketch toys. :wink: and some classic games like Operation, Sorry, Life, Srabble, CandyLand, and Chutes & Ladders.