Is it just me or are the toys getting lame?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 1:43 am

Ticker wrote:
Does anyone remember from the early 1990's Waterbabies craze there was a Waterbabies Ninja Turtle? I still want one.

Waterbabies? I might have had one. (Not a Ninja Turtle, though.)

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Anyone remember Pound Puppies?

Yessssssss. D: I used to have a thing for those. (Urm.... don't take that the wrong way.) Also, TY Beanie Babies (Which I can still find easily, yay.) But the most of the older TYs seemed cooler. The newer ones are alright, but...

Delirium wrote:
I remember when Polly Pockets were about the size of a capsule pill and came with little fold-up plastic scenes. Damn, I'm old. -_-

Hey, I used to have some of those. Back when my gran would take me and my cousin tag-saleing... there was this lady who was selling a whole bunch of them...

I liked lite-brights, legos, playdough, etch-a-sketchs, hot wheels cars/sets (those are all very .... stupid looking now...), plastic army men (oh, god, the ones with the parachuts! Very cool.).... ect.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 6:25 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Anyone remember Pound Puppies?

I remember seeing Strawberry Shortcake again on shelves and Hello Kitty. I did not see that stuff when I was little. Then the company decided to bring back Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake. Perhaps they will do it again with the other stuff in the future we have mentioned. I really don't like the new looks of the Barbie dolls and The Littlest Pet Shops. I wonder what happened with Skipper and Stacie? Did the Metal decide to kill them off? :P Like they decided one year Ken and Barbie broke up just so they can make a new doll.

I did see a Ken doll in package at Winco Foods and I said to my boyfriend "I thought Ken and Barbie broke up. They must have gotten back together." My boyfriend then said "They're toys. They can do what they want." Obviously not getting it was a joke. :roll:

"Did the metal decide to kill them off?" was also a joke in case anyone didn't know.

Yeah, it seems like everything has been updated and made "new" and new usually means creepy and or slu*ty. I mean, with the new polly pockets it's so darn hard to even get those cheap rubber outfits on. I like the little ones best. I still have all my sets, in a box in my closet.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 9:10 am

ScottF wrote:
Here is a link to some new transformer toys, they are more like collectibles, but I have a couple of them and they kick butt...

Transformers Masterpiece

I agree, the Masterpiece TFs are brilliant - I have the Optimus Prime & Megatron figures, and they are absolutely amazing. The big problem I have with the Megatron Masterpiece, though, is that it's so fiddly to transform (I've transformed him from robot to gun back to robot once, and I'll probably never do it again). Why they had to make his transformation so complex when the Masterpiece Optimus Prime transforms so easily, I'll never know. A friend of mine has the Starscream figure, in its original colours, and that's awesome too.

I love them so much I might just marry them ;)

Personally, I think my choice of toys has got better - action figures have come on in leaps and bounds since I was just a wee scrap of a boy. Some of the 90s ones had about five joints (at most), whereas today they have loads. Comparing some of my old Star Wars figures with the ones they have today, I think today's kids have a much better selection...

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:47 am

remember when you could just buy stuffed animals without it being either a dress-up game, some kind of slut thing, or something to do with a holiday?

I miss those days. :(

And I miss the nineties video games where if you hit something, it would go in the sky or disappear. :roll:

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 3:04 pm

I've noticed that the toys are becoming lamer and lamer as the years go by. Don''t even get me started on cartoons. The Clone Wars is funny, but the show is so boring. Whatever happened to Transformers? I wasn't born around the G1 and G2 transformers, but watched a lot of Beast Wars/Machines. Armada was the best series ever. Animated sucks. Bumblebee looks nothing like the movie and Optimus looks like he hit a wall going 60 Mph. They killed another good cartoon. It seems as if toys and cartoons are lamer as the years go by. Hot Whjeels cars look weird now, and I have over 2,000 of them the last time I counted them.

gypsyrose
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2008, 4:47 pm

The "tinkle tots" probably still live on that tropical island with lame-o "Tickle Me Elmo" :bounce:

Anyway, I definitely remember owning Pound Puppies and Lite Brite and the other stuff from the 80's. I had Strawberry Shortcake paraphernalia as a kid. By the way, I saw a Lite-Brite in its original box...at an antique store. THAT made me feel a bit old.

gypsyrose
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2008, 4:49 pm

Speaking of cartoons, anyone remember Jem or Thundercats? (the Bratz dolls are probably a rip-off version of Jem)

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

30 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

I remember there were some really cool toys when I was 8, but they've started to diminish. All of the toys I've seen are trying to simulate the adult world, or they're just too boring.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:30 pm

Ha! I remember Jem!

How was she like the Bratz dolls exactly? I don't recall her being a slu*ty minority gangster.
She was a barbie type rockstar.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:46 pm

I notice it too. Toys are not "lame" they are "lamer".

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 11:10 pm

I definitely think the Bratz were the worse toy ever invented. Do we want MORE sluts out there dreaming of having sugar daddys out there? Because that's what they're implanting into those kid's minds...

iaccidentallyx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2008, 1:50 pm

they were always lame, you're just getting older

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 5:54 pm

No ! !! ! Toys are definitely much 'lamer' then the ones of my generation. As has been pointed out, they were toys for the sake of playing, not promotion of some stupid movie. I had a marvelous tank, must have been more than 18 inches long. Had rubber treads, a rotating turret, and shells I could load and fire across the room ! !! (They were plastic, and the barrel of the gun had a rubber band inside that I could pull back so far it would propel the shell across the room at cardboards troops.)
Such a thing these days would be far too politically incorrect, and even dangerous. Back then there weren't liability concerns. If you were stupid enough to shoot yourself in the eye with such a toy, you didn't go to court about it.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2009, 6:26 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day when my mother and I descended into the local KB Toystore (which is going out of business now that the Christmas rush is over). Everything seemed so cheap and plastic, and terribly tacky. I think toys are more poorly made now than they were in the 80's, and the ideas behind them aren't as creative. The only place to get really GOOD toys in my mall is a place called Thinker Toys, where everything is educational in one way or another and there's stuff that's made out of actual wood instead of just plastic.

I talked about it with my friend, and she said she thought there were fewer toys that you really play with and more toys that just sort of sit there. Gone are the days of Barbie cars and dollhouses and the My Little Pony castle. Now Barbies don't come with anything more interactive than changeable facial expressions. And GI Joe used to have lots of joints in his body. Now there are something like four. I'm seeing fewer playsets and more little, immovable models. I think it's sad.