Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:02 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
The word "an", I always try my best to just say "a"!

"an" generally comes before a word that begins with a vowel (eg; Sarah just bit into an apple). Just a rule of grammar.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:10 am

digger1 wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
The word "an", I always try my best to just say "a"!

"an" generally comes before a word that begins with a vowel (eg; Sarah just bit into an apple). Just a rule of grammar.

I know but I hate saying it, there is something about it that I just hate.

jerseyzuks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm

another one that bothers me is when people say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:40 pm

The use of the word "basically" when it doesn't belong or to begin every sentence...grrrrr!! !!

I really hate the word "whatever" but only when used by a teen girl trying to have the last word.

When someone asks you a question, and you take your time to think it over, They say "Hello?"
I hate "Never mind" also. People are so bloody impatient!

I can't stand it when people use the word "b***h" like it's a compliment or a desired quality in a mate.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 1:33 pm

jerseyzuks wrote:
another one that bothers me is when people say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"

:lol:

jerseyzuks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Feb 2009, 1:40 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
jerseyzuks wrote:

:lol:

I think I am going to print a few of those out and keep them in my wallet to hand out!

I just thought of another one, when people say the word "literally" when they aren't being literal at all

"it is literally like 175° outside"
"I literally died laughing when he told me"

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 2:04 pm

I hate whenever my boyfriend says stupid phrases like "jumping through hoops", "walking on eggshells", and that he'll have to "endure it". He speaks so much like Edward from Twilight, it's scary. Neither of us are even huge fans! My mom sure is, though, but that's a different story entirely.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 2:24 pm

People saying erm while butting into a conversation, because they think they are edgy or cool.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 2:34 pm

leverage
cutting-edge
shooting-star
sonnyboy
pole position

invisiblem0nsters
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2009, 4:23 am

kamikaze_penguin wrote:
The word "moist" really annoys me. And when the word "mature" is pronounced with a long "u" sound--whenever I hear it said like that, I want to rip the speaker's eyeballs out and retreat to a corner so the sound will stop echoing in my head (I'm not kidding about the last part).

I laughed my ass off.

jerseyzuks wrote:

Yup.

26 Feb 2009, 4:37 am

"Calm down."

Damn it, don't tell me how to feel. :x

Sladkopiewchiewitz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2009, 5:06 am

I despise the term "kick back", people say it as an alternative to "relax". I especially hate it when someone says it while I'm angry, it makes me want to tear their throat out. Literally. Not joking, I want to remove their voice box. I had a flatmate who used the term all the time. I moved out.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 9:06 am

i hate "touch base" and "bonding" and "power...whatever" ("power walking" etc).

i dislike people using my name when talking to me. eg : "i see what you mean mark. it's a trap for young players (errgh). now mark, what would you think is...".
i know they are talking to me and i do not need to be reminded of my name.
i often interrupt people who say my name in their sentences to tell them i am aware they are talking to me, and they can proceed without reminding me.

i never use peoples names if i can help it. if i have to go to the offices, people say "hi mark" and i reply "good morning" and that is all. i will only use names if i have to, like if someone asks me who has the reports and the person who has them is not in the room for me to point to.

i get into trouble for pointing in meetings with important prospective clients.
eg: if one of my bosses asks me which one of our guests asked for a particular report, i will turn and point my finger at them rather than quietly say their name.
got off track sorry.

i dislike the term "at the end of the day"
i do not like words that are buzzy like "dude" and "bro'".
people who use those words are not individual thinkers in my mind. they are trend followers.
i dislike the use of words like "lol" and "roflmao" and other acronyms i have to look up to understand (in typing that is).

"epic fail" followed by the table slapping emoticon is so cheap and unoriginal.

the UK has words and phrases that kind of irritate me in a non painful way.

like "gob smacked". "i wuz jiz...goob smaaahhked"

or the use of the word "gutted" ."i'm just ...just...just (and i know they are going to say gutted) just...gutted"

also i do not like how they do not pronounce the "T" in their words. they say the "T" sound in "gutted" by closing off their throat rather than placing their tongue tip behind their upper incisors and letting it be blown off rapidly (to make a correct "T" sound)by the air pressure of their breath.

it sounds like "guhg ed" or something (it is impossible to spell.).

in australia, i dislike the addition of "o" to the end of peoples names and other things.
once i heard in the tavern, a group of people all meeting up and each of their names ended with an affectionate "o". there was jacko and johnno and thommo and fitzo who were goin' out the back for a smoko.

i do not like people who type words to convey their personality.
i do not like to read posts where people type for example "i ummm can see ....errm your problem".
words should be for conveyance of information and not an instrument to play that performs a tune to display ones feathers.

i like the use of the "whatever" word as an indication that i am finished with a debate even though there may be much more to explore.
the word "whatever" acknowledges the fact that they will find alone the data they discover after my departure from the discussion.
i think it is a very apt departing word.
so whatever.

ladyasd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2009, 9:31 am

b9 wrote:
also i do not like how they do not pronounce the "T" in their words. they say the "T" sound in "gutted" by closing off their throat rather than placing their tongue tip behind their upper incisors and letting it be blown off rapidly (to make a correct "T" sound)by the air pressure of their breath.

it sounds like "guhg ed" or something (it is impossible to spell.).

I know the sound you mean, but not everyone in the UK speaks in this way - it's just the product of a couple of regional dialects!

I don't use people's names either. It's becasue I'm afraid I'll get the name wrong.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:03 pm

Real-a-ter for realtor (especially when a realtor says it)
Nuke-ya-ler for nuclear (especially when a commander-in-chief says it)

:doh:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:11 pm

^ That's so weird. I am very surprised that the president got so much flack for saying nuclear that way because 80% of people I've heard say it that way! I know because it always pissed my mom off and she'd make a big deal anytime anyone said it lol.

Maybe I just happen to know a lot of dum people lol