Similar musical tastes, anyone?????

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheArtOfThrash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2010, 2:42 pm

So, here goes. On one hand, there's classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, hardcore punk, and everything in between thats loud, noisy, and not radio friendly. :twisted:
On the other hand, there's chinese folk music for meditation, classical music, ambient, dark ambient, doom metal, jazz, blues, and various other relaxing/depressive musical styles. :tired:
Anyone else have interesting/diverse musical tastes?

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 2:49 pm

I've never found a genre of music I dislike. I go for all those genres you listed, and more.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 2:50 pm

Absolutely - from salsa, jazz, musica cubana, blues, classical music, medieval music to rock, hard rock etc etc. :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 2:55 pm

I like all types of music.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 2:58 pm

The other day, I had my Itunes on shuffle. It went from "Fishin' In The Dark" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (country) to "We Belong" by Pat Benatar (severely wimpy 80's pop) to "Hallowed Be Thy Name" by Iron Maiden (epic heavy metal) to "Grin On My Grill" by Tech N9NE (rap) to "Then He Kissed Me" by The Crystals (60's girl group, even wimpier than Benatar). I've always had varying taste; when I was five, I heard "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on the radio and immediately loved it. I've also loved metal since the first time I heard it. My close friends love my musical taste because it's not like anyone else's, but at the same time it's not me listening to weird indie music nobody's ever heard of to try and be unique. They also love that I'm willing to admit I love stuff like Bonnie Tyler instead of just stuff that's "manly."

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 3:20 pm

For me there are two types of music:
1. I like it
2. I don't
And I have all the genres deep inside :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 4:20 pm

TheArtOfThrash wrote:
So, here goes. On one hand, there's classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, hardcore punk, and everything in between thats loud, noisy, and not radio friendly. :twisted:
On the other hand, there's chinese folk music for meditation, classical music, ambient, dark ambient, doom metal, jazz, blues, and various other relaxing/depressive musical styles. :tired:
Anyone else have interesting/diverse musical tastes?

My music tastes are similar to yours in the sense that I enjoy loud, hardcore music but simultaneously enjoy soft, relaxing music. The only genres I never listen to are country and rap/hip-hop.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 4:43 pm

I only like polka. No, not really. I have a taste that is as boringly eclectic as everyone else's seems to be these days.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 7:21 pm

My favorite genre of music is techno, especially the songs that sound like pop music but feature a hard-hitting, repetitive techno beat after the chorus. Favorite Artists: Aqua, Cascada, Smile.dk, Basshunter, O-ZONE, Real McCoy, Jenny Rom, E-Rotic and Dr. Bombay.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 9:54 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
I've never found a genre of music I dislike. I go for all those genres you listed, and more.

Seconded.

Mine are far too broad in terms of the musical spectrum.

TheArtOfThrash

28 Mar 2010, 10:38 pm

Moog wrote:
I only like polka. No, not really. I have a taste that is as boringly eclectic as everyone else's seems to be these days.

Actually I was in a polka music group once. We sucked but hey...I am such an as....pie. :lol:

Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische,
Frische Fische fischt Fischers Fritz.

TheArtOfThrash

28 Mar 2010, 10:39 pm

Moog wrote:

Actually I was in a polka music group once. We sucked but hey...I am such an aspie. :lol:

Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische,
Frische Fische fischt Fischers Fritz.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2010, 11:06 pm

I listen to everything, but mainly listen to ambient sounding rock and metal. Anyone heard of Red Sparowes?

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:09 am

sorry man, i can't dig any of those metallic grooves. i have always been into the old stuff [classical, various types of older jazz, old pops] from the 70s on back to the turn of the century. i am especially partial to theatrical wurlitzer organ music.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:54 am

I like many different kinds of music, though I go through periods where I'll only listen to a certain genre or artist (I've been on a Ladyhawke kick for the past 2 weeks).

I don't really like that really heavy metal-type stuff (sorry...I really don't know the different sub-genres). I like Disturbed but that's about as heavy as I can handle. I tend to go for somewhat lighter bands like Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Staind (a favorite), Linkin Park (another favorite), etc.

Some of the genres I can't really get into, such as Hip-Hop or Techno (though I do like the more ambient/trip-hop type of music, such as Daughter Darling), I can usually find something enjoyable in them, such as the groove, beats, etc. I do really like "Groove is in the Heart" by Dee Lite...it's very interesting to me, musically...a number of changes while maintaining the groove.

I like some bands that make other people react with surprise. People who know me as a blues/jazz fan are often surprised when I tell them I really enjoyed My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade," and even have the CD in my car (along with Candy Dulfer, Sick Puppies, Thelonious Monk, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Barry Manillow [stop laughing!], among others).

Sometimes it's little things I like. I like the use of hi-hats in certain disco songs from the 70s. I love the way the drums are used in 60s surf music. I like the orchestrations used in a number of pop ballads.

In other words, I like a lot of different kinds of music for several different reasons. I probably should've just wrote that. :oops:

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2010, 3:06 am

I'll listen to pretty much anything as long as it's not to shouty and harsh and not keen on jazz either, it makes my mind hurt. My favorites are rock, r'n'b, ska and reggae. I'n not really into a lot of current music though and my favorite band are Marillion, which most people have never even heard of