Which are friendlier male or female cats?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 6:37 pm

Yes they're very FLUFFY and CUTE!! :heart:

I always wanted one. They have some very unique colors and markings.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:31 pm

I've had cats all my life and the male cats are always friendlier and easier.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:34 pm

Also, orange tabbies are the friendliest, to me. That's what I have right now. He also loves bellyrubs.

You can't let a ragdoll outside because they are so passive they would just let a car run over them. That's the only drawback I know of to ragdolls.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:37 pm

Ticker wrote:
I may be color biased because I really don't want a tabby unless its one of those that is mostly white with just a tabby face. I don't like they white with black patches because they've all been grumpy with me. I wouldn't mind a Russian blue or a solid black cat with green eyes. I think the best bet is getting another Ragamuffin or Ragdoll. They kinda spoil you because they love people so much.

This cat is just the nicest ever. She follows me around everywhere. She loves my hydration pack:

Ticker, you trim your cat's claws? 8O
That sounds like a bad idea. They need their claws for protection. If the cat in this photo didn't have sharp claws, the other cat I have - her brother, a huge bully of a cat - would probably bite her, dead.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:49 pm

Awww what cute kitty!

Yeah I agree with the claws thing. I use to have mine declawed till I had one who ran away.

I don't think he would've made it out there had my neighbor not caught him.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:24 am

Did you know that declawing is actually removing the first digit of the paws? There's no other way to not make the nails grow back. Did your vet explain this to you? Often, they're in such pain afterwards they can't scratch to use the litter box and they bite more because they feel they can't defend themselves.

This practice (declawing) is outlawed in most civilized countries except the US and I will not go to any vet that performs it.

Were your declawed kitties ok?

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 10:24 pm

It's suppose to be illegal now in California to declaw cats because vets say its cruel. I remember when I first got my calico and took her in for first checkup the vet said "oh just so you will know I refuse to declaw cats because its cruel and they usually retaliate by biting more".

Yes I did trim my calico's claws. She had something wrong with them, guess it was genetic. Her claws would grow till they curled underneath and poked her paw pads. She also accidently scratched my cornea one time when she lost her balance climbing on my pillow. So I learned to not be lazy about keeping her claws trimmed. I ended up with an eye infection that took 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear, plus keratitis afterwards not to mention it hurt like heck. She didn't mind getting her claws trimmed and she used to complain to me when her claws would start curling under where she would get stuck like velcro to the carpet and blankets. And YES she did have a sisal covered tall scratching post and one of those corragated cardboard kind both which she did use. But it was just something weird she had wrong with her claws. The vet even told me I had to trim them or she would have trouble walking.

She didn't have to worry about needing her claws as she could still climb with trimmed claws. She was strickly indoor as she was a Ragamuffin, those and Ragdolls must be kept inside. There's also a restriction on outdoor cats in my town because of the rabies epidemic. Not to mention I live in the forest and cats become coyote or owl's dinner if left out. Plus there are 5 pitbulls running loose in my neighborhood. It would be kitty neglect to leave one outside. You wouldn't believe the number of "missing cat" posters in the neighborhood.

I remember one night a coyote pack was real close and howling. Siesta instinctively knew what they were. She dove under the covers and I had to calm her down she was shaking so. I still remember the look in her eyes.

MJM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

I relate to female cats better I still love cats of any kind but prefer female cats. Although our calico we have nicknamed her cleo b***h of the nile. She is a pretty cat but can get moody and you need some paitence for her. She is a beautiful cat mostly but like all cats a pain in the arse from time to time. When I was younger I had a cat called gorgie named after that song gorgie girl. We were the best of mates but it took time to be friends with her. She was a semiferal cat and I used to pick up alot as a small boy and she would scratch me for it. But after a period of time I stopped picking up and being as rough with her and we developed a great mateship. She was such a beautiful cat after that she never bit or scatched again except for the time I saved her from a pitbull terrior dog and she was scratching my face trying to climb up to the top of my head but the animal was destresed.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm

I have both genders, a calico and a b/w domestic shorthair. I like the male because he is laid back and frisky at the appropriate times. The female one is very needy and headstrong, but she's adorable. She also has a way of getting what she wants. :roll:

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

In my experience, spaying/neutering and the age at which that is done has a huge impact on the personality of cats.

Within a given breed, neutered cats tend to me far more docile than cats of either sex. Males, in my experience, tend to be generally less social, but that changes significantly if a female is in oestrus or has a litter.

Breed (as many have pointed out) is a huge variant. I have always had siamese and burmese cats, both of which tend to bond well with people.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

Gender makes little difference in temperament when it comes to domesticated felines. However, I would get a male and neuter him if he's not already as soon as the vet will allow it.

Females cost more to spay, and if they aren't fixed they tend to show up mysteriously pregnant.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

visagrunt wrote:
In my experience, spaying/neutering and the age at which that is done has a huge impact on the personality of cats.

Within a given breed, neutered cats tend to me far more docile than cats of either sex. Males, in my experience, tend to be generally less social, but that changes significantly if a female is in oestrus or has a litter.

Breed (as many have pointed out) is a huge variant. I have always had siamese and burmese cats, both of which tend to bond well with people.

I'm quite fond of ragdolls, myself.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

I"ve only had female cats but I've looked after neighbours cats that were male and they were friendly.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:16 am

In my experience neutered male cats are friendlier on average than female ones. But I've generally only had non-pedigree cats, so I couldn't speak for the 'breeds'.

They do seem to have different temperaments based on their colour though. Ginger/orange tabbies always seem to get into more scrapes and travel widely. Torties/calicos seem to often be very independent and strong minded. All my tabbies have been very friendly.

And declawing is horrendous. I think vets in the USA are more willing to do procedures to make cats more palatable to humans.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 2:25 am

In my experience, male cats have always been friendlier.

As I write this, my female cat is (lovingly) digging her claws into my chest... 8O

skenasis
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2011, 5:41 am

In my experience, getting cats neutered is one of the biggest behaviour changers. There are some breeds that are friendlier than others, and other than Ragdolls, Russian Blues are generally extremely friendly. I have two, a male and a female, and they're both wonderful. They don't mind large crowds, even if it's people they don't know. They both love to sit on my lap, and will often sit on me at the same time, one on each leg.

As for male vs female, I haven't noticed any difference in mine, but word on the grapevine is that neutered males are the friendliest.