Which are friendlier male or female cats?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:12 pm

Just wondering since I am looking to eventually adopt another cat since mine passed away. I've always had female cats, no reason in particular its always just worked out that way. So no experience with male cats to know if they are affectionate. Three of the females I had were friendly and loved attention but one was mean and bit all the time.

Are there colors or breeds that are friendlier? The mean one I had was a odd eyed white persian mix. The friendly ones were a black and white spotted, a creme tabby and a dilute calico Ragamuffin.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm

Atm, I know of a very friendly male gold-eyed white persian kitten at the pet store. He even likes dogs!

I have a male cat right now and he can be both very friendly and very moody. But that's just part of his personality. But overall, he's much friendler than our high strong female cat.

As for a cat breed, I'd get a ragdoll if I were you. They're so laid back! 8)

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm

I agree I like Ragdolls too. My girl was a Ragamuffin which is a Ragdoll that doesn't meet the strict color guidelines of a Ragdoll. So they have the same personality, like she never met a stranger and she let me pick her up and hold her like a baby. Her fur was like silk and never matted up. She also liked to lay on her back with her feet up in the air. Loved the tummy rubs. I want another lap cat.

Do you have experience with temperament of Scottishfolds, Norweign Forest cats and Maine Coons? Pixies are cute but they got too many medical problems, plus they seldom are in shelters. Also I like Persians because my first cat was a mix persian but they have to be groomed daily. Also the current day Persians are so freakin imbred their noses are smashed up in their face so they get sinus and eye problems. Plus they don't talk. I want one that has something to say for herself but just not as talkative as a Siamese!

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:57 pm

ive only had an un-neutered male cat. it was very friendly and nice, but it took off after 3 years, to explore the world, spread its genes, and die somewhere like a badass.

i got a female cat now, resqued/taken from a previous neighbor. shes the lovely! neutered tho, cus she went all freaky on us in her first (and only) heat

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:16 am

I have 2 cats, one male and one female. They're both very nice. I've had them since they were kittens, which matters in this aspect much more than gender would (assuming that you treat cats with affection).

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2009, 12:53 am

I've lived with mostly male cats and have found they tend to be a bit more laidback and friendly then females. Don't get me wrong, I love both but have found that females tend to be a little more antisocial and less inhibited about biting or scratching if they\re upset.

Color wise I have found, as a groomer, that white cats tend to be disproportinatly nasty. However part of me wonders if it's due to deafness that the owners don't bother to mention (not saying deaf cats are mena; just that if they can't hear me talking to them Icna understand thme being highly stressed by what's going on).

I'd say your best bet is to go the the shelter (as you mentioned adoption) and see which cats like you. This has been the fool-proof method in my family and has led to the discovery of some truly remarkable cats.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 1:07 am

I have had the same female cat since 1992 and she is a b***h. :lol: Now we get along great, but it took years for me to figure out her quirks. I think she thinks she's human. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 8:22 am

Both my cats were female, and were very scratchy when they wanted to make a point about people keeping their hands off.

However, they both got much more mellowed out in their old age, with the elder of the two actually loving being picked up and stroked on her tickle-spot under her chin (her head would flop backwards to ensure maximum tickle room :)). The younger was more particular about it, but she could be a big tag-along if she chose (she would follow my dogs around like a groupie :)).

I miss them a lot more than I ever thought I would, so that should demonstrate how positively they affected me...

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 8:34 am

Interesting thread - at this point in time theres two
cats living here. One male, one female. And they
just could not be more different in every way, two
completly different personalities. The male, Marley,
is loud, noisy and brutal :) if i annoy him enough,
he will attack me and bite me :lol: but of course
he`s also very kind, he just has never realized that
i``m supposed to be in charge :) . The female,
Knerten, is as kind as the day is long. She very quiet,
never begs for food at the table and when she want to
go outside she places hereself by the door and waits
until i happen to come by, doesn`t make a noise.
Have had several cats before, and in my experience
female cats tend to have a more low key behaviour.
But this depends so much on how they were raised,
both the cats that live here have been cared for and
loved everyday of their lives and then they turn out
accordingly - they`re the nicest cats and friends a
guy could want :) If you`re nice towards the cat,
it will be friendly no matter what gender it is.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:08 am

In my opinion neutered male cats are a bit more relaxed, not that aggressive.

But a lot also depends on race or colour. White can get easily annoyed, ginger is a bit aggressive, turtoise-shell cats can be really independent and stubborn. Black cats are often nice, but a bit stupid. Gray cats differ a bit. Of course these are general experiences.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:27 am

""White can get easily annoyed, ginger is a bit aggressive, turtoise-shell cats can be really independent and stubborn. Black cats are often nice, but a bit stupid. Gray cats differ a bit.""

Thats strange, why would there be a connection between behaviour and furcolor :chin:
I have one thats grey and white and one that is black. And the black one is now
furious, he`s outraged :)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 10:52 am

Ticker wrote:
Just wondering since I am looking to eventually adopt another cat since mine passed away. I've always had female cats, no reason in particular its always just worked out that way. So no experience with male cats to know if they are affectionate. Three of the females I had were friendly and loved attention but one was mean and bit all the time.

Are there colors or breeds that are friendlier? The mean one I had was a odd eyed white persian mix. The friendly ones were a black and white spotted, a creme tabby and a dilute calico Ragamuffin.

being biased,would say...get one of both [male/female],but there isn't big differences once they've had their neutur ops.

males are most often the territorial type,and may still spray wee at things after the op,though it should calm them down a lot,it's not to make a mess of the home or cause problems with their human,but to tell other cats 'f-off,this is tiddles/fluffys/luckys etc patch',they also are the most likeliest to go off looking for territory to take over, though females can do it to-the op often calms this side down as well.

the colour makes a difference in cats,though being a very biased tortie fan,am dont think tortie/tortie mixes [calicos] are good if are looking for a completely stable kitty blend,as they can be unstable and unpredictible moreso than other colours,not all are the same though-it's just common traits.
If it's a white cat,with blue eyes [whether one side or both] part of that mix is usually deafness so remember that if are looking at getting a white cat,deaf cats are great to be around once get used to their way of life but their special needs do need accomodating for.

Ragdolls are supposed to be one of the friendliest breeds,maine coons are also friendly but these are both long haireds so grooming is another thing.
Don't let idea of pedigrees put off a non pedigree though as there's probably a lot of friendly non pedigrees in area who need a good home,and their breeder or carer would be able to say what they are like to live with.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:18 pm

neither, really, both can be highly unfriendly. it just depends on the personality.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 1:24 pm

I was reading on a cat board that the red gene in cats tends to make for affectionate cats. The white cat I had was so mean she would sink her teeth all the way in and draw blood. She had a blue eye and green eye so she may have been partially deaf but back when I was a kid we did not know those things.

My calico was as sweet and loving cat as you could ever ask for. She followed me around like a dog. But I noticed my friends tortie won't have anything to do with her or visitors and normally cats do take to me. Like one friend said oh don't pick up her black kitty because he doesn't like people and will bite as she is saying this I am already scooping her kitty up and putting him on my shoulder. She was astounded. Her mouth dropped open as he sit on my shoulder snuggling against me and I think he even licked my face.

Another friend has a Himalayan and a grey tabby they found as ferals and have had about 4 yrs. Both lurch through the house not wanting petted. But the Himalayan started getting curious about me and started playing with my sneakers whenever I came over. So one day I asked if I could hold her and my friends like yeah if you can catch her. The cat ended up sitting on my lap getting petted and friend couldn't believe that because they can't even do that with her being her humans.

I may be color biased because I really don't want a tabby unless its one of those that is mostly white with just a tabby face. I don't like they white with black patches because they've all been grumpy with me. I wouldn't mind a Russian blue or a solid black cat with green eyes. I think the best bet is getting another Ragamuffin or Ragdoll. They kinda spoil you because they love people so much.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 1:26 pm

Males.

Most of my cats were males and lover boys.

I like females too but they can be a bit territorial and you need to get them fixed right away. They're "moments" can be very annoying as well as their moodiness.

If it were me, I'd get one from the shelter. I'm real glad I got mine there or he would've been wasted. :(

As for breeds, Maine Coons and Meezers are very social with humans. But I too find the Ragdolls cute!! !....not sure what their tempermant is since I think it's a bit mixed. :P

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:40 pm

Miss Construe, Ragdolls are breed for their affectionate disposition. They are extremely loving and bond strongly with their human. They are breed to go limp like a Ragdoll when you pick them up like a baby doll. I could pick up my girl and she didn't protest and I held her like a baby while I trimmed her nails. They also tend to lay on the backs and many like belly rubs. My cat would watch tv on her back looking upside down at the tv. Ragdolls and Ragamuffins don't get hail mats even despite sometimes medium to long length hair so they are low maintenance. They just demand a lot of pets and attention.